+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa extension

steelcase

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
Just wondering how many times can you apply for extension of visitor status?
Initially 6 months stay on visitor visa and we applied once already for another 6 months extension.

Can apply again? thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steelcase said:
Just wondering how many times can you apply for extension of visitor status?
Initially 6 months stay on visitor visa and we applied once already for another 6 months extension.

Can apply again? thanks
Depends - why do you keep extending? What are you doing in Canada? If its because of a say a soon to be submitted/pending/ongoing spousal inland PR application for which you need to maintain status then CIC can see why you need the extension. If its because you just want to 'hang out' in Canada then....CIC start asking...how do you survive (read we believe you are working illegally), why do you need to hang out here, what was your true intention when you came here etc. You then get a No dice to the extension accompanied by a leave Canada by date a and make sure you check in with us (CBSA) when you exit. Future re-entry as a visitor will usually then prove problematic.

steelcase

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
Thanks Msafiri, I know all to well about leaving and checking with CBSA. Been there and done that.
I have citizenship now under the belt and the visitor extension is for my father who is staying with me. We applied for extension once and had it done without any problems, so just wondering if he is allowed to stay longer, reason is - we don't get to see each other often. I do have an application going for him for PR, but parental sponsorship takes much longer then spousal applications as you probably know.
Just want to spend as much time together as possible.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good times with a parent always a joy so all good! In your favour is that CIC will give some slack to extensions since there is a PR application pending. On the flip side parent/grandparent PR processing times remain a horror (LA @ 81 months!!) and I don't see CIC giving you a pass on the entire processing period. How many more extensions do you realistically need? CIC start getting into dig mode at the 3rd extension...so I'd say up to 2 years in line with the Super visa may not be problematic. Have you considered the Super visa as it removes the extension issue?

Man on the Moon

Feb 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Doc's Request.
04-07-2013
Nomination.....
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2013
LANDED..........
VERY VERY VERY SOON
Msafiri said:
Good times with a parent always a joy so all good! In your favour is that CIC will give some slack to extensions since there is a PR application pending. On the flip side parent/grandparent PR processing times remain a horror (LA @ 81 months!!) and I don't see CIC giving you a pass on the entire processing period. How many more extensions do you realistically need? CIC start getting into dig mode at the 3rd extension...so I'd say up to 2 years in line with the Super visa may not be problematic. Have you considered the Super visa as it removes the extension issue?
hi
I have applied for extension of stay this month. This is the first extension, the website says processing of around 104 days. Does it usually take tht long or can happen earlier,.

steelcase

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
yes, hoping they can extend once or twice for us again, up to two years maximum. the processing of PR for my father country of origin is about 9 years (sponsor approval+processing) and we only first year in. long wait. we looked into super visa way, but we had some concerns with that, mostly the passport expiry date and insurance costs.

@Moon - took us about 2.5 month for our last extension.

Man on the Moon

Feb 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Doc's Request.
04-07-2013
Nomination.....
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2013
LANDED..........
VERY VERY VERY SOON
steelcase said:
yes, hoping they can extend once or twice for us again, up to two years maximum. the processing of PR for my father country of origin is about 9 years (sponsor approval+processing) and we only first year in. long wait. we looked into super visa way, but we had some concerns with that, mostly the passport expiry date and insurance costs.

@ Moon - took us about 2.5 month for our last extension.
thanks

Man on the Moon

Feb 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Doc's Request.
04-07-2013
Nomination.....
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2013
LANDED..........
VERY VERY VERY SOON
Hi,

Just had an question about the visa extension, I have applied online and paid the fees online too. The fee receipt says I have to fill in my details etc and to take 2 prints and send it to cic. So where exactly should I send the fee receipt copy ? Or can I email them the receipt

Please guide.

zubair44

Oct 18, 2011
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,i applied for my mom visitor visa on 10th of july 2015 on line.i am on PR with my wife and she is expecting baby on 15th of september.its been almost 50 days.once in a week cic send me email about application update but nothing inside.what shoud i expect.Thanks