+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa and Post Grad Work Permit Expiring! - PLEASE HELP!

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just wondering if i have to apply for extension on BOTH my visitor visa and Post Grad Work Permit...

Both are expiring last week of October. But will be submitting my Inland Spousal Sponsorship Application on late August.

Do I have to apply for both or just extension of work permit?

thank you.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
If you're applying inland, include an extension application with the "initial work permit" option checked. As long as the PR application and the extension application (plus all applicable fees) are received by CPC-Vegreville BEFORE your current status expires, you have "implied status" to remain in Canada and continue under the conditions of your original entry. If you hold a work permit, you can continue working for the same employer in the same position until first stage approval is granted and you receive your open work permit. Then you can go to work anywhere.

Section 5.22 of the Foreign Worker's Manual talks about this:
5.22 Work without a work permit R186(u)—Implied status
R186(u) allows for persons to continue working under the conditions of an expired work permit, as long as they applied for a new work permit before the original work permit expired and have remained in Canada. Once the decision has been made, the client will either have to leave Canada or will continue as a worker who holds a valid work permit.

Part II of the Inland Applicants Guide explains about including the extension application WITH the PR ap to protect temporary status. Be sure that you track delivery of the applications and get signature confirmation of receipt. Then you have proof that you're entitled to continue working under your current permit and SIN, even though the dates are expired.

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so even with my temporary resident visa which is expiring? i dont have to renew it?

but i'm holding a post graduation work permit. its not the same as the regular work permit. does the implied status still applicable?

thank you!

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
whiteapple said:
so even with my temporary resident visa which is expiring? i dont have to renew it?

but i'm holding a post graduation work permit. its not the same as the regular work permit. does the implied status still applicable?

thank you!
The post grad work permit cannot be extended. You can only have it once. You will have to get a work permit with LMO or apply for an initial work permit which you will get once you get AIP.