+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor status almost expired but want to study here

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, I'm from the states, my visitor's visa expires at the end of nov. but I'd like to study here..is there a way I can get an extension to do that or would I still be able to study here if I start before my visitor visa expires? thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Two issues that I see...

(1) To be approved for a study permit, you are supposed to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans to stay in Canada long term. I think you're going to find it very challenging to prove this.

(2) Have you been accepted by a school already? To apply for a study permit, you need to have been accepted to a school first (you can't apply for a study permit without a school acceptance). I think it may be too late to gain acceptance to a January intake at this point.

Also, have you looked into the costs? Tuition fees are substantially higher for foreign students than domestic students. And on top of showing enough funds to pay for first year tuition, you will have to show an additional $10K to cover living expenses.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Two issues that I see...

(1) To be approved for a study permit, you are supposed to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans to stay in Canada long term. I think you're going to find it very challenging to prove this.

(2) Have you been accepted by a school already? To apply for a study permit, you need to have been accepted to a school first (you can't apply for a study permit without a school acceptance). I think it may be too late to gain acceptance to a January intake at this point.

Also, have you looked into the costs? Tuition fees are substantially higher for foreign students than domestic students. And on top of showing enough funds to pay for first year tuition, you will have to show an additional $10K to cover living expenses.
What would strong ties to your home country consist of? Obviously there's no job since one would plan on being in Canada studying. The costs aren't an issue since it's not a university..it costs $6k for the year. I'm not sure if that's any difference but it's St.Clair College in windsor. I can show the funds I would need though. Thank you so much scylla.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
acer925 said:
What would strong ties to your home country consist of? Obviously there's no job since one would plan on being in Canada studying. The costs aren't an issue since it's not a university..it costs $6k for the year. I'm not sure if that's any difference but it's St.Clair College in windsor. I can show the funds I would need though. Thank you so much scylla.
You'll need to show a bank balance of $16K (not $6). The extra $10K is for living expenses.

Strong ties to your home country are: lack of ties to Canada, property ownership in your home country, business ownership, rental agreements, bank accounts or other assets, letters from an employer giving you leave to study for a year, etc.

sufi

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
Karachi
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2011
Med's Request
18-10-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Will be soon
acer925 said:
Hi all, I'm from the states, my visitor's visa expires at the end of nov. but I'd like to study here..is there a way I can get an extension to do that or would I still be able to study here if I start before my visitor visa expires? thank you!

1- You cannot apply for student permit from inside, you can only apply from outside Canada. Visitor has to leave Canada in order to apply for student permit. Best for you is to apply from your home country.

2- You cannot study on visit visa.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You'll need to show a bank balance of $16K (not $6). The extra $10K is for living expenses.

Strong ties to your home country are: lack of ties to Canada, property ownership in your home country, business ownership, rental agreements, bank accounts or other assets, letters from an employer giving you leave to study for a year, etc.
I have none of things to show lol. Does this mean I cannot do it?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sufi said:
1- You cannot apply for student permit from inside, you can only apply from outside Canada. Visitor has to leave Canada in order to apply for student permit. Best for you is to apply from your home country.

2- You cannot study on visit visa.
How would they know where I was applying from? I have a previous address in the states (my parent's house).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
acer925 said:
I have none of things to show lol. Does this mean I cannot do it?
You can certainly apply. But you should expect your application to be denied due to lack of funds and lack of ties.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You can certainly apply. But you should expect your application to be denied due to lack of funds and lack of ties.
the funds are the only thing I have.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
acer925 said:
the funds are the only thing I have.
Ties to your home country are typically very important. If you browse through the threads here - you'll see many rejections based on insufficient ties. But each case is individual - so I supposed you can always try and see what happens. Make sure you have a plan B in case you're rejected.

I wouldn't recommend saying you're living in the US when you're actually living in Canada. If you do this and you're found out, this is misrepresentation. Misrepresentation typically results in a two year ban from Canada.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this is an old thread, but, I didn't mention that I've been staying with my gf this entire time, would that make a difference in being able to study here? I've been here for a year and a half, and have over stayed the date they extended my visitor record for. It was until november. What does this mean for me now? Thanks

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acer925 said:
this is an old thread, but, I didn't mention that I've been staying with my gf this entire time, would that make a difference in being able to study here? I've been here for a year and a half, and have over stayed the date they extended my visitor record for. It was until november. What does this mean for me now? Thanks
Hi,

1. You are now out of status with almost no chance of re-entry.