Visitor record approved but ONLY for 3 more weeks

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Below is the situation:

- My mother came to Canada in Dec 2019 on a Visitor Visa
- She planned to return in April but flights got cancelled and she remained in Canada
- Her 6 months in Canada was ending on 18th June 2020, so i applied for an extension on 16th June explaining that to travel back to India she needs permission from Indian embassy which that time was only grating travel permission to India for emergency cases, i mentioned the corresponding indian embassy weblink. And then also mentioned that international travel is not safe considering her age (58), risk of infection and further inter-country travel restrictions that time in India
- Less than a week back CIC requested a new medical exam and gave 30 days. She completed her medical examination within 3-4 days
- Today her Visitor Record is updated but its expiring on 24th Aug 2020

That is less than a month from now. I was hoping to get at least a 6 months extension.

- Both her passport and trv is valid till year 2027
- This is her second visit to Canada, the last one was in early 2019 and she went back within 6 months
- In extension request, I also uploaded her medical insurance from a Canadian company which will cover any COVID infection in Canada if it happens

Questions:
- Why her visitor record is approved for such a short duration ? Any mistake we made in the extension application ?
- Another thing i noticed is that it seems her medicals are still not uploaded into the system. The application still shows that medical exam is requested and status of the application is still "Your action is required". The clinic told me it will take approx 2 days for the medicals to show up, and today is the second day. Is it possible the decision was made without the medicals taking into consideration ? Between i still have 3 more weeks to upload the medicals
- Can i apply for another extension explaining the worsening COVID situation in India and stricter lockdown rules in our home town there
- is it possible that medical exmination showed some medical condition and thats why visitor record is approved for such a short duration ?

any feedback will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Below is the situation:

- My mother came to Canada in Dec 2019 on a Visitor Visa
- She planned to return in April but flights got cancelled and she remained in Canada
- Her 6 months in Canada was ending on 18th June 2020, so i applied for an extension on 16th June explaining that to travel back to India she needs permission from Indian embassy which that time was only grating travel permission to India for emergency cases, i mentioned the corresponding indian embassy weblink. And then also mentioned that international travel is not safe considering her age (58), risk of infection and further inter-country travel restrictions that time in India
- Less than a week back CIC requested a new medical exam and gave 30 days. She completed her medical examination within 3-4 days
- Today her Visitor Record is updated but its expiring on 24th Aug 2020

That is less than a month from now. I was hoping to get at least a 6 months extension.

- Both her passport and trv is valid till year 2027
- This is her second visit to Canada, the last one was in early 2019 and she went back within 6 months
- In extension request, I also uploaded her medical insurance from a Canadian company which will cover any COVID infection in Canada if it happens

Questions:
- Why her visitor record is approved for such a short duration ? Any mistake we made in the extension application ?
- Another thing i noticed is that it seems her medicals are still not uploaded into the system. The application still shows that medical exam is requested and status of the application is still "Your action is required". The clinic told me it will take approx 2 days for the medicals to show up, and today is the second day. Is it possible the decision was made without the medicals taking into consideration ? Between i still have 3 more weeks to upload the medicals
- Can i apply for another extension explaining the worsening COVID situation in India and stricter lockdown rules in our home town there
- is it possible that medical exmination showed some medical condition and thats why visitor record is approved for such a short duration ?

any feedback will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.
Generally this happens when IRCC feels someone has been spending too much time in Canada and feels it's time for them to leave.

You can certainly try applying for another extension.

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks folks for the replies. Sorry about the confusion on my immigration status. I am a Permanent Resident. I had used this account to ask questions about my friends, so that might have caused the confusion about my immigration status.

My mother spent about 4 months outside Canada before coming to Canada for second visit. First time she entered Canada with me and was not asked any question at the airport in Canada. Second time she was alone, and she told me that visa officer called a translator and asked few questions about purpose of visiting Canada, where she will stay, etc etc. But they allowed entry for 6 months. Her entry stamp on passport have a hand written date which is exactly 6 months from data of entry.

I revisited everything and still not able to understand why she is allowed an extension of only 3 more weeks. Considering the risk in international travel and also considering the mandatory two weeks quarantine in India at government authorized facilities/hotels which are far away from our home town, i am planning to apply for another extension.

Anything else i can do differently for second extension application? Also, in extension application i did not request an extension for 6 months, i just stated that considering all the factors, she is applying for an extension so that she can remain in Canada legally and she will travel back as soon as travel restrictions and other rules are lifted.

Also can i apply GCMS notes about her visitor record application and find out if officer had any overstaying or other specific concern?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What kind of ties does your mother have in India? A spouse? Other children? There is likely concern that she is spending too much time in Canada. Seems like she may have arrived with you when you landed as a PR which is a red flag. Based on this forum I think Canada is refusing more extensions for parents. I think there is a good chance is because they don’t want more seniors especially if they don’t have insurance that covers covid. Surprised to hear that your policy covers covid. Even if it does if it only covers 100k that would not be enough for most covid patients who end up in hospital. An ICU bed is extremely expensive.

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
>>Surprised to hear that your policy covers covid
It covers COVID because the policy was taken in Dec2019 when COVID was not an international issue and i extented the policy before a specific date after which even policy extensions did not covered COVID. But yes the policy have a limit of 100K.

I think you are right. My mother have weak ties to India and that can be a concern for extension; only ties she have is farm land, properties and healthy goverment pension for which she need to visit local bank once a year. But when she visited with me for first time, i was already a PR.

Can you confirm if i can find the officer concerns if i apply GCMS notes for her visitor record application ? If not, any other way to find officer notes for the visitor record application ?

Just want to make sure i proactively take care of such concerns.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It covers COVID because the policy was taken in Dec2019 when COVID was not an international issue and i extented the policy before a specific date after which even policy extensions did not covered COVID. But yes the policy have a limit of 100K.

I think you are right. My mother have weak ties to India and that can be a concern for extension; only ties she have is farm land, properties and healthy goverment pension for which she need to visit local bank once a year. But when she visited with me for first time, i was already a PR.

Can you confirm if i can find the officer concerns if i apply GCMS notes for her visitor record application ? If not, any other way to find officer notes for the visitor record application ?

Yes, you'll most likely find more detailed information in the GCMS notes. However these will take at last one month to arrive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Many of the policies exclude pandemics in the fine print or people were sent notices that covid coverage had been withdrawn.

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Thanks folks for the replies. Sorry about the confusion on my immigration status. I am a Permanent Resident. I had used this account to ask questions about my friends, so that might have caused the confusion about my immigration status.

My mother spent about 4 months outside Canada before coming to Canada for second visit. First time she entered Canada with me and was not asked any question at the airport in Canada. Second time she was alone, and she told me that visa officer called a translator and asked few questions about purpose of visiting Canada, where she will stay, etc etc. But they allowed entry for 6 months. Her entry stamp on passport have a hand written date which is exactly 6 months from data of entry.

I revisited everything and still not able to understand why she is allowed an extension of only 3 more weeks. Considering the risk in international travel and also considering the mandatory two weeks quarantine in India at government authorized facilities/hotels which are far away from our home town, i am planning to apply for another extension.

Anything else i can do differently for second extension application? Also, in extension application i did not request an extension for 6 months, i just stated that considering all the factors, she is applying for an extension so that she can remain in Canada legally and she will travel back as soon as travel restrictions and other rules are lifted.

Also can i apply GCMS notes about her visitor record application and find out if officer had any overstaying or other specific concern?
sir, i believe you should have requested an extension with a specific date ie min 6 months
at the same time attached all the important documents such as letter of guarantee (there is a specific info required on such letters) , financial statements, med insurance,a letter coming from your mother explaining the situation etc i can support with the document list i used.
unless there were no other issues you should have received a good number of days. it seems there was something in the application missing that prompted them to give the minimum. perhaps as others indicated there was something to do with last visit. you may know.
was a med. exam requested when she applied for visa the first time?
also i believe you waited until the last moment to apply. should have done at least one or two months earlier
for the extension apply now with all documents. do wait till expiry.
anyways good luck

Last edited: