+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor marrying a PR holder - port of entry

ashokreddykk

Jan 20, 2022
Hi Friends,

I have couple of questions. Realized that a visitor can marry PR holder while in canada and can get the marriage certificate.

Now my question is, every time when the visitor is entering to cananda, can she tell the POE officer that she is coming to meet her husband and show marriage certificate as proof?

For some reasons, the PR holder is not eligible to sponser the visitor for another 2-3 years. Visitor has already 10 year multiple entry visa. During this 2-3 years, can the visitor travel back and forth without any objection at port of entry? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
reddy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends,

I have couple of questions. Realized that a visitor can marry PR holder while in canada and can get the marriage certificate.

Now my question is, every time when the visitor is entering to cananda, can she tell the POE officer that she is coming to meet her husband and show marriage certificate as proof?

For some reasons, the PR holder is not eligible to sponser the visitor for another 2-3 years. Visitor has already 10 year multiple entry visa. During this 2-3 years, can the visitor travel back and forth without any objection at port of entry? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
reddy
Whether a visitor is allowed into Canada and for how long is always up to CBSA. Being married to a Canadian does not guarantee entry into Canada.

I'm not sure I understand why you would be showing the marriage certificate as proof of anything at the border. If CBSA wants any sort of proof, they will most likely be looking for things like return tickets, ties to the home country, and/or evidence the visitor has enough funds to cover expenses during their stay.

ashokreddykk

Jan 20, 2022
Hi Scylla,
Thank you for quick reply. The reason i said to show marriage certificate is, i understood we should tell the real purpose of visit if the POE officer asks. So if the visitor says the purpose is just visiting canada, she can say that for 1 or 2 visits but later if POE officer insists the real purpose, the visitor might need to tell the truth that visitor husband is in canada and want to visit him. Then comes the next questions are does she declared the status after marraige etc. The visitor planning to be truthful by declaring the status after marriage in canada. Will this declaration causes any problem while re-entry? And the visitor planning to have a baby inside canada and after the baby delivery, will it impact her re-entry to canada as visitor?
Please advise any thoughts. Appreciate your reply!

Regards
Reddy

Nadaa

Sep 21, 2017
Yukon Territory
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Jakarta
App. Filed.......
17-05-2023
I agree with Scylla,

Truthfull? Well you get TRV for 10 years, isnt the truth?
you can go back and forth as you like within 10 years.
In case to have a baby and will have labor here, you are allowed. But your stay maximum is 6 months (if CBSA allowed) but you can cross to the state and return to Canada for another stay ...
Since the baby will have canadian passport and you have a valid TRV, you are welcome to enter Canada.
I quoted from her - CBSA will most likely be looking for things like return tickets, ties to the home country, and/or evidence the visitor has enough funds to cover expenses during their stay.

Previously i was like you but took too much effort and hassle so I applied for the PR and citizenship. Also never once I mentioned I married to Canadian lol and CBSA always gave 6months for me to stay

Good luck

Hi Scylla,
Thank you for quick reply. The reason i said to show marriage certificate is, i understood we should tell the real purpose of visit if the POE officer asks. So if the visitor says the purpose is just visiting canada, she can say that for 1 or 2 visits but later if POE officer insists the real purpose, the visitor might need to tell the truth that visitor husband is in canada and want to visit him. Then comes the next questions are does she declared the status after marraige etc. The visitor planning to be truthful by declaring the status after marriage in canada. Will this declaration causes any problem while re-entry? And the visitor planning to have a baby inside canada and after the baby delivery, will it impact her re-entry to canada as visitor?
Please advise any thoughts. Appreciate your reply!

Regards
Reddy

Reactions: ashokreddykk

ashokreddykk

Jan 20, 2022
I agree with Scylla,

Truthfull? Well you get TRV for 10 years, isnt the truth?
you can go back and forth as you like within 10 years.
In case to have a baby and will have labor here, you are allowed. But your stay maximum is 6 months (if CBSA allowed) but you can cross to the state and return to Canada for another stay ...
Since the baby will have canadian passport and you have a valid TRV, you are welcome to enter Canada.
I quoted from her - CBSA will most likely be looking for things like return tickets, ties to the home country, and/or evidence the visitor has enough funds to cover expenses during their stay.

Previously i was like you but took too much effort and hassle so I applied for the PR and citizenship. Also never once I mentioned I married to Canadian lol and CBSA always gave 6months for me to stay

Good luck
Thank you Nadaa. Your reply cleared most of my doubts.
I am worried that after my marriage in Canada, my spouse who has visitor status might have to face the issues of re-entry with POE officers if she says that she married to PR holder and officer might say to apply for sponsorship and can deny the entry.
I am planning to take the marriage certificate here in canada after marraige here so that she can show that to the officers incase asked.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Nadaa. Your reply cleared most of my doubts.
I am worried that after my marriage in Canada, my spouse who has visitor status might have to face the issues of re-entry with POE officers if she says that she married to PR holder and officer might say to apply for sponsorship and can deny the entry.
I am planning to take the marriage certificate here in canada after marraige here so that she can show that to the officers incase asked.
There is a chance hey could be denied entry. Will they have proof of ties to their home country? Have their own savings or have proof that you have enough savings and are employed and can support the both of you easily. The fact that you won’t have a sponsorship application in process will count against you. Most are able to say they are visiting until their sponsorship application is completed. Visiting for 2-3 years before you can apply for sponsorship would mean a very long visit in Canada which is not guaranteed. Are you aware that your spouse may not qualify for healthcare in Canada? In most provinces spouses of PRs and citizens do not qualify for health coverage as visitors. If you are visibly pregnant you can be asked to show that you have the funds to pay out of pocket for expenses related to pregnancy or have an insurance policy that covers pregnancy. I would not encourage going to the border and do a quick enter and exit to try to qualify for another 6 month stay. There is a good chance that at one attempt you will be denied entry if you remain a visitor over many years. Would suggest trying to find a way to immigrate on your own of find an employer to hire you and get a closed work permit if you want to remain in Canada with your spouse for years before they can sponsor you.

ashokreddykk

Jan 20, 2022
Thank you Canuck for the reply! Based on your advise, looks like getting married in canada will create problem for re-entry. And please advise if i can be registered as father even with single status. Getting closed work permit is expensive in canada. My friend has ties from home country like she is working remotely on fulltime job. And I am ware that health care/pregancy is not covered and planning to put from pocket.

ashokreddykk

Jan 20, 2022
Canuck, in case the visitor entry denied, please advise that if visitor will be denied for all next visits? I mean can the visitor try for re-entry after few months later? visitor has 10 year multiple entry visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Canuck for the reply! Based on your advise, looks like getting married in canada will create problem for re-entry. And please advise if i can be registered as father even with single status. Getting closed work permit is expensive in canada. My friend has ties from home country like she is working remotely on fulltime job. And I am ware that health care/pregancy is not covered and planning to put from pocket.
If your wife encounters any issue in pregnancy that could go up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Whether severe morning sickness or preterm labour that requires hospitalization that will be extremely expensive. Even a pregnancy with no issues can easily cost 30k. If you are concerned about the cost of getting a closed work permit how can you afford to pay for healthcare? Why do you not qualify to sponsor your spouse? Getting married is not the issue it is the ability to visit for 3-4 years. Canada usually wants to see that you have applied for sponsorship that is why your spouse is visiting. Working remotely isn’t really a tie. You can work remotely from anywhere. Does she have a home (own property or have a lease) in her home country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck, in case the visitor entry denied, please advise that if visitor will be denied for all next visits? I mean can the visitor try for re-entry after few months later? visitor has 10 year multiple entry visa.
Entry into Canada is always assessed at the border. If denied one time there will be enhanced scrutiny on subsequent visits.