+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Extension while waiting for work permit application

arman.h

Jun 25, 2023
Hi guys,
I came to Canada on Jan 15th, 2023 on a visitor visa. My friend invited me to visit Canada. After coming here I got a job offer. My LMIA was approved and my work permit application is currently in progress.
Now my question is do I need to apply for visitor visa extension as I can stay up to 6months at a time and July 14th, 2023 will be my 6months here in Canada.

God forbid if my work permit gets rejected then what are my options if I don't apply for the visitor extension? Can I go to a border or travel to Mexico and get another 6months as a visitor?
Thanks in advance for the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,
I came to Canada on Jan 15th, 2023 on a visitor visa. My friend invited me to visit Canada. After coming here I got a job offer. My LMIA was approved and my work permit application is currently in progress.
Now my question is do I need to apply for visitor visa extension as I can stay up to 6months at a time and July 14th, 2023 will be my 6months here in Canada.

God forbid if my work permit gets rejected then what are my options if I don't apply for the visitor extension? Can I go to a border or travel to Mexico and get another 6months as a visitor?
Yes, you need to extend your visitor status in Canada. Make sure you submit the extension before you six month stay in Canada ends.

No, don't do a border run. Apply for an extension from within Canada.

Note that applying for an extension doesn't guarantee another six months in Canada. It's up to IRCC how long an additional stay you are allowed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Just to clearly answer the other part of your question, if you do not apply for an extension to your stay as a visitor and the work permit is refused after July 14th, you will be out of status in Canada. You will not be able to do a border run to the US to restore your status. You cannot do this while out of status in Canada. Your options will be to apply to restore your status in Canada. Or to leave Canada and fly home (but if you do this you will want to remain in your home country for a while and not return to Canada immediately).

Avoid the above by making sure you apply to extend your visitor status in Canada before the six months is up. Otherwise you'll just create more potential problems for yourself.