+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor: denied. Sponsorship: denied. Student visa? need to have $20,635 in the bank. Lost.....

rnb

Jan 18, 2023
I've been with my south american fiance for 2 years and we want to make it permanent. She tried to get a visitor visa last year to see what Canada is like and it was denied because, they said, they don't think she would leave the country. I submitted the application and gave all the details including the pre purchased tickets to and from canada (which i lost due to denied visa).

Our next thought was family sponsorship, we are going to get married anyway. Since she can't come here to get married, i did my paperwork to prove im single in canada and sent it down there so they could arrange the ceremony. That was denied by Ecuador government because it was 10 days past the 3 month expiry. I tried to do everything as fast as possible... but the time taken for translating, authenticating, mailing to a country that moves like molasses, etc...it took too long for my papers to arrive by 10 days. Add to that the fact we would have to wait another 14-16 months while immigration canada "assesses" the validity of our union... that was seemingly not a great option.

Now we started looking at a study visa. She has a medical degree (from a major university respected in Canada) and wants to become a doctor. I look into which courses she can sign up for now and it seems students have to have $20k in the bank first! She doesn't have that money, neither do I.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#attestation

In the 'Proof of Financial Support' section... it says,
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money
Obviously she'd be living with me, and her tuition will be paid ahead of time. But, I wrote a big letter when we applied for her visitor visa stating that I'd be covering all costs and I'm certain that was used as ammunition to deny the visa. She doesn't have a house, a bank account full of money, kids, a career job... all the things i assume immigration canada looks at to determine flight risk.

Also, As of January 22, 2024, You need an attestation letter to apply for a study permit. The letter needs to be included with the study permit application. Yet "Each province or territory is developing a process to get an attestation letter. These processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#attestation

I'm finding this all a bit crazy and i can't believe it's this difficult.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I've been with my south american fiance for 2 years and we want to make it permanent. She tried to get a visitor visa last year to see what Canada is like and it was denied because, they said, they don't think she would leave the country. I submitted the application and gave all the details including the pre purchased tickets to and from canada (which i lost due to denied visa).

Our next thought was family sponsorship, we are going to get married anyway. Since she can't come here to get married, i did my paperwork to prove im single in canada and sent it down there so they could arrange the ceremony. That was denied by Ecuador government because it was 10 days past the 3 month expiry. I tried to do everything as fast as possible... but the time taken for translating, authenticating, mailing to a country that moves like molasses, etc...it took too long for my papers to arrive by 10 days. Add to that the fact we would have to wait another 14-16 months while immigration canada "assesses" the validity of our union... that was seemingly not a great option.

Now we started looking at a study visa. She has a medical degree (from a major university respected in Canada) and wants to become a doctor. I look into which courses she can sign up for now and it seems students have to have $20k in the bank first! She doesn't have that money, neither do I.

In the 'Proof of Financial Support' section... it says,
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money
Obviously she'd be living with me, and her tuition will be paid ahead of time. But, I wrote a big letter when we applied for her visitor visa stating that I'd be covering all costs and I'm certain that was used as ammunition to deny the visa. She doesn't have a house, a bank account full of money, kids, a career job... all the things i assume immigration canada looks at to determine flight risk.

Also, As of January 22, 2024, You need an attestation letter to apply for a study permit. The letter needs to be included with the study permit application. Yet "Each province or territory is developing a process to get an attestation letter. These processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024."

I'm finding this all a bit crazy and i can't believe it's this difficult.
For study permit, she needs minimum $20k plus tuition. There is no way around it. You must show money in the bank. Future income and having a place to live are not funds. So she needs to wait until provincial rules come out. Best and cheapest path is marriage.

rnb

Jan 18, 2023
How do we reconcile these two statements on the same page that are at odds?

"We’ll return any application received on or after January 22, 2024, without an attestation letter,"

and

"Each province or territory is developing a process to get an attestation letter. These processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024.".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes but, as of today you need the attestation letter... Yet "Each province or territory is developing a process to get an attestation letter. These processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024.".

What happens for the between now and then?
New rules announced by IRCC. Not unexpected and long-time coming.

So you still need the $20K just like before and everything else, but now you also need the attestation letter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

"We’ll return any application received on or after January 22, 2024, without an attestation letter,"

and

"Each province or territory is developing a process to get an attestation letter. These processes are expected to be in place by March 31, 2024.".
Simple.

If you submit an application without the attestation letter, it will be refused.

The process for the attestation letters is still being developed and not yet available. Each province will have something in place by March 31st.

The statements are not at odds.

rnb

Jan 18, 2023
you need to provide something now that there is no process for unitl 3 months from now.... explain how you do that please?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i clarified my question... its not making sense
It is making sense.

IRCC is no longer accepting applications that require the attestation letter without an attestation letter.

Each province is standing up their process for the attestation letter.

These process are not available yet.

They will all be available by March 31st.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

and

Has she applied? If not, she needs a letter. The provinces are developing the process/guidelines/requirements by March 31. Effectively there is a hold on processing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
you need to provide something now that there is no process for unitl 3 months from now.... explain how you do that please?
I'm really not sure what is unclear.

The attestation processes are not available yet. Once they are available, you go through the process to get an attestation letter. You cannot apply without the attestation letter. So you cannot apply right now. You have to wait for the attestation processes to become available.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But if neither of you have the $20K, then this is all a moot point. The only way she can bypass the $20K + tuition is if she pretty much has a full scholarship from the school she will be attending.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Now we started looking at a study visa. She has a medical degree (from a major university respected in Canada) and wants to become a doctor.
So you probably don't wnat to hear from me but have you looked at Express Entry?

If she got a degree in Canada as an international student the presumably she also got a PGWP and worked here for a few years (hopefully in a skilled profession and ideally in the health care field). Assuming she also has skilled work experience from outside of Canada, and is also relatively young (i.e. in her twenties), she should have a half decent EE score. (I'm also assuming that she has strong English skills and can get a high score there.) This is an immigration program so it won't get her to Canada immediately but chances are it's faster than spousal sponsorship and the two of you also don't have to get married first (she applies on her own). She will still need to have some savings (proof of fund of around $14K for settlement and a few K extra for the fees), but this is less than the $35K+ required for the study permit by the time you factor in first year tuition and the $20K in living expenses. I would look into EE.

Pat me

Jan 20, 2024
For study permit, she needs minimum $20k plus tuition. There is no way around it. You must show money in the bank. Future income and having a place to live are not funds. So she needs to wait until provincial rules come out. Best and cheapest path is marriage.
Please I have a question.

Hello everyone,
My sponsor for Canada study visa is my aunt in Canada.
She's trying to move money from her RRSP to a regular savings account for POF.
Must we wait 4 months after the fund is transferred? Must her bank statement be 4 months duration? Or can she just show her closing account balance.
She also has some money in her TFSA.
Thanks.

Dynamo12

Jan 14, 2024
Why would you pay international fees, if u intend to marry her, get married and that would get her a permanant residency thru which she will be able to get that education at a fraction of the cost, chances are of her visitor visa was denied. Her study permit would be denied as well. My recommendation would be to do the equadorian formalities and apply for her permanant residence, otherwise you can live together in equadorian and bring her in as a common law, in my opinion that's easier