+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada (less than 30 days) without a visitor visa based on valid and stamped H1B visa eligible for automatic revalidation

sahilb

Sep 14, 2013
Hello all,

I have heard from some of my friends that there is a possibility to visit Canada from USA, by road, for less than 30 days when you:
1. Are on an H-1B visa (stamped and active)​
2. Are not a US Permanent Resident​
3. Have valid status in the US that can be used for re-entry​
4. Have an Indian Passport​
I called the Canada New York peace bridge and spoke to an official on the phone, asking if they would allow me to enter Canada, and if the above mentioned rule existed. They mentioned they would follow rules mentioned on IRCC, and if I brought printed proof of the above on IRCC, it would be considered compliant and they would allow me.

Here is the link to the URL where I found this information "Lawful permanent residents of the U.S.". I understand I am not a permanent resident (I have filed for an I-140 but my priority date is not current and I have not yet received an I-485).

Context:
- I am trying to attend a wedding in Canada and had applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa in April 2023​
- I have just received a biometrics appointment and I will not get the visa in time to make it for the wedding​
- I am trying to find ways to visit assuming I would be allowed to go as long as I have valid documents to re-enter the US​

Thanks in advance for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I have heard from some of my friends that there is a possibility to visit Canada from USA, by road, for less than 30 days when you:
1. Are on an H-1B visa (stamped and active)​
2. Are not a US Permanent Resident​
3. Have valid status in the US that can be used for re-entry​
4. Have an Indian Passport​
I called the Canada New York peace bridge and spoke to an official on the phone, asking if they would allow me to enter Canada, and if the above mentioned rule existed. They mentioned they would follow rules mentioned on IRCC, and if I brought printed proof of the above on IRCC, it would be considered compliant and they would allow me.

Here is the link to the URL where I found this information "Lawful permanent residents of the U.S.". I understand I am not a permanent resident (I have filed for an I-140 but my priority date is not current and I have not yet received an I-485).

Context:
- I am trying to attend a wedding in Canada and had applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa in April 2023​
- I have just received a biometrics appointment and I will not get the visa in time to make it for the wedding​
- I am trying to find ways to visit assuming I would be allowed to go as long as I have valid documents to re-enter the US​

Thanks in advance for your help!
No. You need a TRV to visit Canada.

All this rule does is indicate how long you can leave US in order to be allowed to re-enter the US. It does not mean you are allowed to enter Canada without a Canadian TRV.

Reactions: Rawhide

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
No. You need a TRV to visit Canada.

All this rule does is indicate how long you can leave US in order to be allowed to re-enter the US. It does not mean you are allowed to enter Canada without a Canadian TRV.

Agreed, this is for re-entering USA after visit to Canada