+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit to Canada VISA Exempt Country

Natasha_78

Apr 28, 2011
Will i have problems entering Canada if six months ago i left Canada, i withdrew my refugee claim and left right away. I would like to come visit canada again but have not booked a return ticket, do they always ask you when entering canada to see your return ticket? Will i have problems to enter because i previously claimed refugee and then withdrew my claim?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Many airlines won't even let you get on a plane without a return ticket.

And yes, both the lack of a return ticket and withdrawn refugee claim will likely be a problem at the border. Both are very strong signs that you have plans to remain in Canada long term.

Natasha_78

Apr 28, 2011
scylla said:
Many airlines won't even let you get on a plane without a return ticket.

And yes, both the lack of a return ticket and withdrawn refugee claim will likely be a problem at the border. Both are very strong signs that you have plans to remain in Canada long term.
Thanks for your reply Scylla - I'm planning on travelling with Air Canada - when i check in will Air Canada ask to see my return ticket? Immigration Canada when arriving at Pearson will see on their computer that I withdrew my refugee claim?

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
they always ask for a return ticket at port of entry.. i would highly suggest you book a return flight.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I doubt they will let you enter. You will be flagged and immigration will be highly suspicious that you do not have a return ticket.

To be honest, I too, am highly suspicious. Why don't you have a return ticket? Are you planning to arrive in Canada and disappear?

Natasha_78

Apr 28, 2011
angelbrat said:
I doubt they will let you enter. You will be flagged and immigration will be highly suspicious that you do not have a return ticket.

To be honest, I too, am highly suspicious. Why don't you have a return ticket? Are you planning to arrive in Canada and disappear?

I left Canada January 2011 - purchased a return ticket back home, it was cheaper to buy a return then to travel back home on a one way. This ticket was purchased when i withdrew my refugee claim, now i have the second portion of the ticket...a ticket back to Canada. I was going to use that part of the original ticket, come back to visit...stay and visit family and friends and then buy a ticket home...figured that it will be summer and i can look for a charter flight back home.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree the border officers always ask for a return ticket at port of entry when you arrived Canada. So I suggest you book a return ticket back home.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

steaky said:
I agree the border officers always ask for a return ticket at port of entry when you arrived Canada. So I suggest you book a return ticket back home.
I don't think that will even help the OP after making a refugee claim in Canada. CBSA is not going to believe he/she will leave if admitted.

Natasha_78

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks guys! I think the whole refugee claim/withdrawal will cause a problem for my brother in law, he seems to think that coming from a VISA Exempt country you have the RIGHT to enter Canada which i am trying to explain to him that he still has to prove that he's leaving after his 'visit' and i also explained that the refugee claim/withdrawal will cause problems for him (his lawyer told him that he wouldn't have a problem 'visiting' Canada if he withdrew his claim).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're correct. No one has a "right" to enter Canada except Canadians.

Even people from visa exempt countries with clean records (no criminal records, no past refugee claims) can be denied entry - or even banned.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You're correct. No one has a "right" to enter Canada except Canadians.

Even people from visa exempt countries with clean records (no criminal records, no past refugee claims) can be denied entry - or even banned.
Not even permanent residents with valid PR cards who also meet residency obligations? ???