+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Canada on work visa

Dec 6, 2021
Hi I just got my closed work permit but my company has closed. Can I use this visa to visit Canada as a visitor? My PR application is also under process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I just got my closed work permit but my company has closed. Can I use this visa to visit Canada as a visitor? My PR application is also under process.
You are required to update IRCC about the fact that your employer has closed. You are required to update IRCC about any change to your employer or job when applying for a WP. Your permit and visa will likely be cancelled because of it. Failure to update IRCC would be misrepresentation. Given your desire to immigrate to Canada I would not misrepresent your situation which could have longterm consequences. Did you use your job to qualify for PR? If so you also need update your PR application as well. If you do no inform IRCC that your employer has closed and you no longer have a job, which is not advisable, then you risk being denied entry when you try to enter Canada. You will likely be asked about your job in Canada when you arrive. You will have to declare that your employer has closed and you no longer have a job. Of course you will be questioned as to why you are still coming to Canada if you no longer have a job and what proof do you have that you will be returning home plus do you have the funds to support your visit to Canada. You will either be denied entry and sent back to your home country on the next flight, be let into Canada for a short period of time with the understanding that you will return home at a certain date (usually days to a few weeks) or you may be let into Canada with no issues. Do you have proof of ties to your home country like a job, property in your name, how much savings can you show, do you have other ties to your home country, etc.? What is going on with your PR application? What stage is it at?

Dec 6, 2021
You are required to update IRCC about the fact that your employer has closed. You are required to update IRCC about any change to your employer or job when applying for a WP. Your permit and visa will likely be cancelled because of it. Failure to update IRCC would be misrepresentation. Given your desire to immigrate to Canada I would not misrepresent your situation which could have longterm consequences. Did you use your job to qualify for PR? If so you also need update your PR application as well. If you do no inform IRCC that your employer has closed and you no longer have a job, which is not advisable, then you risk being denied entry when you try to enter Canada. You will likely be asked about your job in Canada when you arrive. You will have to declare that your employer has closed and you no longer have a job. Of course you will be questioned as to why you are still coming to Canada if you no longer have a job and what proof do you have that you will be returning home plus do you have the funds to support your visit to Canada. You will either be denied entry and sent back to your home country on the next flight, be let into Canada for a short period of time with the understanding that you will return home at a certain date (usually days to a few weeks) or you may be let into Canada with no issues. Do you have proof of ties to your home country like a job, property in your name, how much savings can you show, do you have other ties to your home country, etc.? What is going on with your PR application? What stage is it at?
My PR application has passed Medicals, Biometrics and criminality. Eligibility and Security check are yet to start. I submitted application in August end under EE PNP program.

Dec 6, 2021
I have informed both IRCC and PNP regarding change in employment situation. PNP office has also suggested to wait till PR gets approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PR application has passed Medicals, Biometrics and criminality. Eligibility and Security check are yet to start. I submitted application in August end under EE PNP program.
It could still take quite a long time to get approved for PR. The best option is to remain in your home country. Finding an employer who is willing to apply for LMIA and then applying for a WP is difficult and you will likely be in Canada unable to work for 6+ months.