1st January2013
Passport Req..
16th March2014
VISA ISSUED...
27th April2014
LANDED..........
30th May2014
Hello Everyone,
This is a long question, I migrated to Canada 2 months ago, living here since 2010, on work permit. I am trying to get my brother on a student visa here in alberta next year in september for a business admin diploma course. I know I can apply for a super visa for my mother (as she is a single parent and we don't own a house, so its required she stays here), and super visa will let her for 2 years at a stretch till I make enough money for 3 consecutive years to apply for her PR.
- but my concern is, somebody told me, if I let my mother come here before my brother, the chances are immigration will not grant my brother his student visa as he wouldn't have any ties back home to go back to india. but will the same thing apply to my mother, if my brother was here before mother as a student and then if I apply for my mother's super visa will they reject it on the same grounds stating she doesn't have any ties to india, so she will not go back??
I am confused I cannot leave my mother alone there and want both my brother and mom to be here.

My second concern is
- Given my mom is a single parent for the last almost 15 to 20 years, and have no one and no properties except what I have, as I am the elder child, can she ask for a refugee status?? so she can stay here with me and not live alone with no one to take care of her in india. what are my options?? I know the PR route is at least going to take her 6-7 more years to be here permanently
I was also thinking maybe bringing her here as a caregiver might help, she can apply for her own PR?
If anyone helped me I would really appreciate it, I can't afford lawyer right now and CIC call centre won't answer anything that is helpful. If someone could speak with me would be even better as this is a bit complicated. Thank you everyone

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with a few questions. No - your mother certainly does not qualify as a refugee - not even close. The refugee class is for people whose lives are in danger - your mother doesn't qualify. Forget about this option.

Both your mother and brother will have to show strong ties to their home country and prove they have no plans on remaining in Canada long term in order to be approved for the visitor visa / study permit.

Yes - live in caregiver could be an option for your mother. To qualify, she will need to find an employer in Canada. She will also need to have either one full year of paid work experience in the field (in the last three years) or six months of full time schooling in the field (in the last three years). If she doesn't have the required paid work experience or schooling - then this option is out.

There is no clear / easy / guaranteed path to bring both your mother and brother here quickly. It's possible both of them may be approved for a study / visitor visa, it's possible only one of them will be approved, and it's possible both will be refused.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
How old is your brother? Reason I am asking is that the age of dependent has changed as of Aug 1st, 2014. If you need to wait until 3 years to pass in order to sponsor your mother for PR, be aware that if your brother reached age of 19 at that time, your brother, regardless of his continuing studies or not, will not be able to be claimed as a dependent of your mother.

Screech339

star09

Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
1st January2013
Passport Req..
16th March2014
VISA ISSUED...
27th April2014
LANDED..........
30th May2014
screech339 said:
How old is your brother? Reason I am asking is that the age of dependent has changed as of Aug 1st, 2014. If you need to wait until 3 years to pass in order to sponsor your mother for PR, be aware that if your brother reached age of 19 at that time, your brother, regardless of his continuing studies or not, will not be able to be claimed as a dependent of your mother.

Screech339
Thank you for replying, no my brother is 24 yrs old and is coming to do his diploma in business admin for global tourism as he has a degree in hospitality and hotel a management in india, he has been working as a travel consultant for the last 3 years, so the study programme is related to his field. Plan for my brother is Post graduation work permit stream or employer driven stream under AINP.
For my mom I just gotta wait till I can show enough income and apply for her PR I guess, i am thinking of letting her come here before my brother applies for his visa so once she goes back, its a good record that she didn't overstay and went back on time, and will apply for her super visa the next time

star09

Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
1st January2013
Passport Req..
16th March2014
VISA ISSUED...
27th April2014
LANDED..........
30th May2014
scylla said:
I'll help with a few questions. No - your mother certainly does not qualify as a refugee - not even close. The refugee class is for people whose lives are in danger - your mother doesn't qualify. Forget about this option.

Both your mother and brother will have to show strong ties to their home country and prove they have no plans on remaining in Canada long term in order to be approved for the visitor visa / study permit.

Yes - live in caregiver could be an option for your mother. To qualify, she will need to find an employer in Canada. She will also need to have either one full year of paid work experience in the field (in the last three years) or six months of full time schooling in the field (in the last three years). If she doesn't have the required paid work experience or schooling - then this option is out.

There is no clear / easy / guaranteed path to bring both your mother and brother here quickly. It's possible both of them may be approved for a study / visitor visa, it's possible only one of them will be approved, and it's possible both will be refused.
what I am planning is before my brother applies for his student visa which isn't until next year i am going to bring my mom on a single entry visitor visa so that she can go back and cic can see that as a record that she didn't over stay her welcome, it makes the case strong i know as has happened to me before. and then once she goes back my brother will apply for student's visa,as long as he mentions in the cover letter his intentions clearly, i don't think that should be a problem. anyways thanks for your help.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
There is no single entry visa anymore. All TRV are now considered to be a multiple entry visa now. No choice. So when your mom apply for visa, it is a multi-entry visa by default.

Screech339

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

screech339 said:
There is no single entry visa anymore. All TRV are now considered to be a multiple entry visa now. No choice. So when your mom apply for visa, it is a multi-entry visa by default.

Screech339
Actually there is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/visa.asp

Please note that not all applicants will be eligible for a MEV and that the decision remains at the discretion of a CIC officer. A SEV may be issued in cases where, for example:

an applicant is eligible for a fee-exemption and where the purpose of entry to Canada is limited (e.g., for an official visit by a foreign national);
an applicant is participating in a one-time special event in Canada (e.g., Pan-American Games);
country-specific procedures or guidelines are in place and approved by CIC-NHQ.

If an officer chooses to issue a SEV, the reasons are to be entered in the case notes. Officers are to take note that issuance of a MEV should now be considered the standard and any SEV issuance requires an explanation.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
PMM said:
Hi

Actually there is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/processing/visa.asp

Please note that not all applicants will be eligible for a MEV and that the decision remains at the discretion of a CIC officer. A SEV may be issued in cases where, for example:

an applicant is eligible for a fee-exemption and where the purpose of entry to Canada is limited (e.g., for an official visit by a foreign national);
an applicant is participating in a one-time special event in Canada (e.g., Pan-American Games);
country-specific procedures or guidelines are in place and approved by CIC-NHQ.

If an officer chooses to issue a SEV, the reasons are to be entered in the case notes. Officers are to take note that issuance of a MEV should now be considered the standard and any SEV issuance requires an explanation.
That makes sense applying single entry visa under special circumstances like the participation in the Games, VIP foreign nationals coming for special events. Totally understandable.

But in the OP's case, we are dealing with a tourist visa for his mother. No special events in involved. Just a regular TRV.

But it is nice to be aware or informed on such tools available to CIC.

Screech339