+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for buying property

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
I read in fortune magazine (issue of 2004) that you get a six month visa if you buy property in Canada. Is that correct?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Much can change in nine years. I have never heard of such a visa and I am sure if there was such a thing the forum would be abuzz with it. One of the biggest hurdles to be overcome is convincing the VO you will return to your home country before the expiry of a temporary visa. The very concept of buying property in Canada would increase the ties to Canada. Best to refer to the official CIC website for up to date information. I wonder if this could have been a Provincial programme? Maybe someone else knows the history.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
A quick google just now netted me information on a programme through Saskatchewan. This involves the purchase and operation of a farm. There is a financial minimum and proof of previous experience required. I am not sure if this sounds like the programme you read about.
Learn something new EVERY day around here!!

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
There are few Law firms, who can organize this kind of Visa. They need your complete documents and they have to see your past experience. The law keeps on changing.

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
Pippin said:
A quick google just now netted me information on a programme through Saskatchewan. This involves the purchase and operation of a farm. There is a financial minimum and proof of previous experience required. I am not sure if this sounds like the programme you read about.
Thanks Pippin. I said property, I should have said a house, although the house has 3.8 acres. Not really a farmer, I may do farming one day but not my main area, I´m in to IT. I wan´t to buy a house in Canada.

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
ashokcan said:
There are few Law firms, who can organize this kind of Visa. They need your complete documents and they have to see your past experience. The law keeps on changing.
Hi ashokcan.
When I said property I wanted to say a house, not for farming but to live. Do I need experience to buy a house? Well I have been a owner in my own country for more than a decade.

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
Pippin said:
Hi Pippin.
I should have said a house (already have seen one that I can afford) for living and maybe rent one or two rooms. The source of income would be IT, self employed. Farming... not much of a farmer, but I do plan one day in a very long term to buy land for farming, but is far from my priorities, and I´m not really an expert.

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
I was actually reading fortune magazine and they were showing properties in Canada and then they mentioned that you get 6 months visa if you buy property (land or house). I made plans thinking I have six months, but I intent to get P. Residence later.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kal el said:
Hi Pippin.
I should have said a house (already have seen one that I can afford) for living and maybe rent one or two rooms. The source of income would be IT, self employed. Farming... not much of a farmer, but I do plan one day in a very long term to buy land for farming, but is far from my priorities, and I´m not really an expert.
As Pippin explained, to qualify, you would have to buy a farm operation with the purpose of operating it as a farm immediately. You must demonstrate you have a net worth of at least $500K Canadian and make a $75K good faith deposit. The deposit is your promise that you are in fact coming to Canada to buy and operate a farm in Saskatchewan. If you do not do so, the deposit will be forfeited (i.e. not returned to you). You must also demonstrate that you have experience operating a real farm. More details about the program can be found here:

http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/farmer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kal el said:
I was actually reading fortune magazine and they were showing properties in Canada and then they mentioned that you get 6 months visa if you buy property (land or house). I made plans thinking I have six months, but I intent to get P. Residence later.
Apart from the Saskatechewan program mentioned by Pippin, there is currently no program that gives you a six month visa if you purchase a property in Canada.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depending on the availability, there are occasions where you do not have to come to Canada but can buy a Canadian property outside Canadian soil. You would need to hire a Canadian lawyer to do much of the paper work though.

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
scylla said:
As Pippin explained, to qualify, you would have to buy a farm operation with the purpose of operating it as a farm immediately. You must demonstrate you have a net worth of at least $500K Canadian and make a $75K good faith deposit. The deposit is your promise that you are in fact coming to Canada to buy and operate a farm in Saskatchewan. If you do not do so, the deposit will be forfeited (i.e. not returned to you). You must also demonstrate that you have experience operating a real farm. More details about the program can be found here:

http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/farmer
Hi again. My goal is not to be a farmer... maybe later after I become a citizen(it is not something that I want to do)... I just I wan´t to buy a house not become a farmer... like some people from the states buy a house in Cape Town, South Africa.... and also wan´t to have permanent residence and eventually apply for citizenship... maybe the visa is not 6 months anymore, it was a wile ago...

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
You will have to follow the directions for Permanent Resident application then. If you qualify to apply for FSW when it opens in May that may work, otherwise it looks like a job offer will be required. Once you have worked for a specific period, you can then apply for PR through the CEC (Experience Class) or PNP (Provincial Nomination). Good Luck with your project!

kal el

Oct 4, 2012
steaky said:
Depending on the availability, there are occasions where you do not have to come to Canada but can buy a Canadian property outside Canadian soil. You would need to hire a Canadian lawyer to do much of the paper work though.
That option is dangerous. Plus you have to see what your buying, in my case a house, you can just buy a house that you have seen a picture, somethings you got to do yourself.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Keep in mind that if you buy a house without a PR visa, there is no guarantee you'll be allowed into Canada again. In fact, owning a house would be risky, because CIC might think you'll overstay your visitor visa.

If you want to buy the house as an investment and rent it out, you might want to hire a property management company. This will ensure the property is cared for even if you're denied entry into Canada. You should research this thoroughly though. Property management companies aren't for everyone. They can be expensive.

Owning a home gives you no rights to live in Canada. Only the PR can do that.