+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vacation after your landing interview?

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all of the information,

I just have to hope that the interview is after my vacation, I will be buying a return ticket to Canada anyway so I shouldn't have any issues with boarding the plane.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:
I just have to hope that the interview is after my vacation, I will be buying a return ticket to Canada anyway so I shouldn't have any issues with boarding the plane.
No, the issue is the return ticket to Canada. The return ticket is essentially a 1-way ticket to Canada from your vacation spot. If you are boarding a plane in a foreign country to Canada, sometimes for people who are not citizens or PRs the airline will want to see you have a ticket that shows you will leave Canada.

Though as mentioned, it's rare an airline will actually enforce this, but you need to be aware that some people have indeed run into problems.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
Before I landed, when I'd fly in via Delta, they'd just ask me during online check-in what day I plan to leave Canada, and all was well. I'd assume they'd just ask in person at the counter if I didn't check in online. I think they just need to do their due-diligence.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are they asking when would you plan to leave Canada if your in the process of moving there permanently it makes no sense at all.

Obviously anyone who's already inside of Canada taking a vacation via plane is always going to get a Return ticket back unless they are taking many different trips. So Yes I will have my return flight back to Canada

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jamesdavid3 said:
Why are they asking when would you plan to leave Canada if your in the process of moving there permanently it makes no sense at all.

Obviously anyone who's already inside of Canada taking a vacation via plane is always going to get a Return ticket back unless they are taking many different trips. So Yes I will have my return flight back to Canada
Because to the airline, you are not a PR until you have your PR card in hand. So until then you are just a temporary visitor to Canada, and that is how the airline will treat you.

If an airline allows a passenger to fly to Canada and then CBSA turns them away upon arrival, CBSA can then fine the airline if they feel they let someone travel to Canada that they shouldn't have. So if you don't have a work/study permit, and don't have a PR card, then you are expected to be traveling as a visitor meaning you should have a plan to leave Canada within 6 months. While it's not common, there are several stories of travelers running into trouble trying to board a flight to Canada with no onward ticket leaving Canada since the airlines don't want to be fined.

If you try to argue with the airline that you are moving to Canada permanently but can't show a valid PR card, you can be denied boarding by the airline. They may not accept COPR as proof. Those with PR status that don't yet have their PR card, are better to travel as a visitor only and not even mention their PR status.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
Basically airlines have no access to CIC systems so they know nothing about your application or immigration status. They are trained to identify residents of Canada with either a Canadian passport or PR card. That's it. They won't recognize a COPR (which clearly states on it that it is not a valid travel document anyway) or any other document that might state your status in Canada. They aren't trained to and can't verify it anyway.

As Rob already mentioned, you likely will not have any issue. Just show your passport and don't mention anything about being a PR and all should be good.