+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vacation after your landing interview?

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it possible to take a vacation after your landing interview? I understand that you will not have a PR card and your Open work permit also gets taken away during the landing interview...

I was wondering if its possible to come back into Canada with just your passport and show the Boarder agent your COPR and my British passport.

I am planning on going on a 1 week vacation to the Dominican Republic on October 13th. I've already got AIP and SA on July 23rd they requested Medical....no DM yet...

I am almost hoping I don't get DM or at least a landing Interview until after the Vacation so then I will still at least have my Open work permit with me to show them at the boarder...

Please let me know.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
This is totally allowed, but most airlines won't allow you onto the plane without a return ticket unless you have a visa, and they don't accept the COPR.

BUT, since you've got a visa-exempt passport, you're okay to board the plane without a visa. I flew into Canada 3 or 4 times with just my US passport while my PR was in process and never had any problems, so you'll be fine.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I noticed in March they started this new rule...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Thanks for that information, I would like to hear more peoples views also.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
I noticed in March they started this new rule...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Thanks for that information, I would like to hear more peoples views also.
It is because of the new ETA regulations coming into effect March 2016. Effectively there will be no "real" visa-exempt countries anymore, all will require pre-authorization to enter Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
ETA is pretty easy and fast to get, it's $7 and you're done. You need it if you'll be back to Canada after March 2016.

Did they request the medical in your AIP or SA or did they send you a separate letter?

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
ETA is pretty easy and fast to get, it's $7 and you're done. You need it if you'll be back to Canada after March 2016.

Did they request the medical in your AIP or SA or did they send you a separate letter?
They requested Medical after my AIP and SA in a letter

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Jamesdavid3 said:
Is it possible to take a vacation after your landing interview? I understand that you will not have a PR card and your Open work permit also gets taken away during the landing interview...

I was wondering if its possible to come back into Canada with just your passport and show the Boarder agent your COPR and my British passport.

I am planning on going on a 1 week vacation to the Dominican Republic on October 13th. I've already got AIP and SA on July 23rd they requested Medical....no DM yet...

I am almost hoping I don't get DM or at least a landing Interview until after the Vacation so then I will still at least have my Open work permit with me to show them at the boarder...

Please let me know.
You applied inland then, so I would not recommend leaving until after you land as you could jeopardise your entire application, but leaving after is fine, since you are visa-exempt and they will be aware it takes 3 months to get your card.

Edit: Ok you've asked questions like this many times and even left the country, so why do you think you are going to have problems? You are from a first world, english speaking commonwealth visa-exempt country. That is why you don't have these problems.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Just be prepared to cancel your vacation if you happen to get DM and your landing interview is during the week you are scheduled to be on vacation. Not sure if they will allow you to change your landing interview date due to being out the country, since with an inland app you are expected to be in the country the entire time.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
Which does nothing, because it does NOT guarantee re-entry. It even says so, right on the OWP, right?!

Your CoPR will get you back into Canada, but it will not get you on an airplane (neither would your OWP).

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Ponga said:
Which does nothing, because it does NOT guarantee re-entry. It even says so, right on the OWP, right?!

Your CoPR will get you back into Canada, but it will not get you on an airplane (neither would your OWP).
He's from Britain though, why would he have trouble with an airplane.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah exactly, why would I have any issue with my British passport getting on a airplane?

And I think everyone knows the whole "does NOT guarantee re-entry" on the Work permit means you cant just enter the country with the work permit on its own, you clearly need a passport with it also.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
Yeah exactly, why would I have any issue with my British passport getting on a airplane?

And I think everyone knows the whole "does NOT guarantee re-entry" on the Work permit means you cant just enter the country with the work permit on its own, you clearly need a passport with it also.
Don't you understand that the CoPR will guarantee you getting back into Canada, as far as CBSA is concerned? Why would you even consider using your OWP instead?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquakitty said:
He's from Britain though, why would he have trouble with an airplane.
Re-read his first post. He said that he would use his OWP to get back into Canada (" to show them at the border" [not boarder]). The `them' must be CBSA, I guess.

He doesn't seem to realize that it's two different `hoops' that a person has to jump through, if they don't have their PR Card:

1. Convince the airline that you're allowed to enter Canada (such as showing a passport from a visa exempt country)

2. Convince CBSA that you're allowed to enter Canada...which is what the CoPR does, not the OWP.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
A DM doesn't mean anything in itself, the only key date for an inland application is the date of the landing interview that sponsor and applicant must attend together and where you actually get the COPR. So there are 3 possible scenarios here as far as I can see:
1. Landing interview is scheduled for after the vacation. Here you can attempt to leave/re-enter Canada with passport and work permit.
2. Landing interview is scheduled during the vacation time. Here you should cancel the vacation or postpone it to after the interview.
3. Landing interview is schedule for before the vacation time. In this case the OWP would be cancelled, and a COPR issued. So you could still attempt to leave re-enter Canada and would be doing so with passport + COPR.

In most cases simply having a visa-exempt passport is good enough for an airline to allow boarding, even with a 1-way ticket (such as when you are returning to Canada from vacation). Stressing to the airline your passport is visa-exempt, and not mentioning PR status, is usually good enough. It's only in some cases where airlines have demanded a return ticket to allow boarding, so in a worst case scenario one could always buy a fully-refundable ticket to leave Canada on the spot, then just cancel it immediately after boarding.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
deweysmith said:
This is totally allowed, but most airlines won't allow you onto the plane without a return ticket unless you have a visa, and they don't accept the COPR.
I keep reading this here that airlines give you trouble if you don't have a return ticket. I've pretty much only ever travelled on one way tickets (Aus to Asia, Europe, Canada) and no-one has ever questioned me about it.

Also I was told by the officer that issued my work permit that as an Aussie to ignore the "does not authorise re-entry" because it does not apply. I would assume it would be similar for UK passport holders. I've travelled many times on my work permit, no issues.