+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using Work Permit after PP request for PR

vikramviks95

Oct 3, 2012
I am need of some advice and was hoping you guys would be able to help me.

Here is the situation:
I applied for PR under CEC in Nov 2013.
My wife and I have BOWP and work visa that are valid till Jan 2015.

I received an email from CIC stating that my PR is approved and that i need to send my passports to Ottawa for the PR Immigrant visa stamping.
My wife and I need to travel to the US for 15 days on 4th of July 2014. Lets say I get my passports back from stamping on 20th of June 2014.

I plan to cross the Canada-US Border by land i.e. Niagara Falls and activate my PR Status. I am aware that this will also initiate my request for PR card and it will take around 3 months.

Our tickets to US are already booked and we fly from Toronto Airport on 4th of July.

My question is, since the single entry PR visa is already used, can we use our Work visas to fly back to Toronto? Will it cause any issues?

I do understand that driving to Buffalo and taking a flight from the Buffalo airport is an option.
But are there any other options?

Is it possible that i not use the single entry PR visa till I get back from US ? and then use it to do a land border crossing?

Please help.

Sorry for the long post.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
You're making it too complex.
Just use the PR Visa as you fly-back from the US.

Edit: as you enter Canada from the US trip, that's the time you complete the landing; don't 'land now then go to the US later.'
And landing does not necessarily mean 'by land', you may do it at the Airport once you arrive.

vikramviks95

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks MenicMonday.

The problem is that my wife and I wont be flying back together from US. She will be coming back early.
I am the primary applicant.

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
Sorry if I may have missed that.

If your work visa were not cancelled/crossed-out, then it may be doable.

The only hurdle for not having a PR card is the airline may not board you if they ask for it. Otherwise, you can show your CoPR to the Border Security.

Note: I just usually show my WP to the airline and they're ok with it. Also, you can argue that you are just coming from the US.
Note though that if you land, you may need to surrender your WP if they ask for it.

vikramviks95

Oct 3, 2012
Good tips. Thanks MenicMonday. :)

I am also tempted to drive to the Canada border post at Niagara Falls and ask them these questions. :)

Its a strange situation that one cannot travel outside the country for a short duration while waiting for the PR card.

Anyone else encounter this situation?

Thanks!

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
I've read few posts regarding this issue in here before. I am not an expert on this but from what I read before there are mixed opinions
on this! my advice is to investigate thoroughly!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It's challenging - you should not be re-entering Canada on your work permit (temporary resident) if your status has changed, e.g. landed (permanent resident). If not landing at the same time, the PA has to land first. You can apply for a travel document to return from the USA, but their website says at least 30 days to process (useless).

These would seem to be the 3 "legal" options.
-Delay landing until after your travel is completed, continue using your work permit until then
-Extend your wife's stay so you can land together when you return by air.
-Land before, and then travel across the border by car (using COPR to return).

Don't know what would happen if you landed, and then tried to return on the work permit. Personally, I wouldn't want the headache...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vikramviks95 said:
Thanks jes_ON.
I like option 1.
That would be my preference - just be sure to check the expiry date on your visas after you get your passports back, make sure you can do all that and land before the visa expires!

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
Isn't it that they cancel your work visa once they stamp-in the visa counterfoil?
So to do option 1, this means having a valid work visa.

I'd rather land together from the US trip, if possible.

vikramviks95

Oct 3, 2012
just an update..

I used my work permit to board the flight from US and used the COPR when landing in Toronto.

No issues encountered.