+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visitors visa - Citizenship Canada

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
What happens to visitors visa of US when you give up citizenship that has US visa? I know you have to surrender or revoke it but for that I can get it done at the border or not?

canucksrig

Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you revoke your citizenship (indian and chinese citizens don't have dual) then nothing happens. One has to surrender the passport to the embassy of their birth country.
If you have dual citizenship your us visa will be valid in that passport. It wouldn't matter as you will be travelling to USA on Canadian passport?

Lorris

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canucksrig said:
If you have dual citizenship your us visa will be valid in that passport. It wouldn't matter as you will be travelling to USA on Canadian passport?
Not so simple. Technically if you've been issued a US visa you have to enter the US with it. Thus if you are a Canadian citizen and have a US visitors visa in your other passport, it is wise to have both passports on you while crossing the border.

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Well I have Indian passport with US visa I travel to States quite often, I am pretty sure I have to get my visa cancelled before I surrender my Indian passport to Indian authority as you can't have travel visa while having Canadian passport. I guess CBP would have answer on this.

swindsor2010

Feb 9, 2014
For example: You are a Mexican national and you were issued a 10 year visitor visa in your Mexican passport... Later in life you were granted Canadian Citizenship. The visa in your Mexican passport is still valid and has nothing to do with your Canadian citizenship. If you show up at the US border asking to come in showing a Mexican passport, you are presenting yourself as a Mexican national and they will want to see your visa. If you show up at the border with a Canadian passport, you are presenting yourself as a Canadian citizen so no visitor visa is necessary. It all depends on what passport you travel with, you have the choice (although the USA prefers you to use the passport you were issued a visa, if it's valid).

If you have a USA visa stamped in a passport that you gave up citizenship, you are no longer allowed to travel with that passport. Same goes for the visa in it (the visa page says you are a national of XXX when it's no longer the case). If your other citizenship/passport requires visitor visa to US you have to apply for a new visa.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lifesocoool said:
Well I have Indian passport with US visa I travel to States quite often, I am pretty sure I have to get my visa cancelled before I surrender my Indian passport to Indian authority as you can't have travel visa while having Canadian passport. I guess CBP would have answer on this.
U don't need to cancel your Visa, just travel with your Canadian passport, if they ask tell them that u had B1/B2 on your cancelled passport.

If the passport is cancelled, you can not use that. If your passport expires but the visa is still valid, then you have to carry both expired and new passports.

I had the same , no body ever asked me anything,until I applied for TN, I told them that I had B1/B2 ON CANCELLED Passport.

So if CBP ask you that did u ever applied for US visa before, do tell them, as they have record of that ( i know that becoz 1 of my colleague has applied for student visa from India many years ago, then he become Canadian, then when he went for his TN, they asked him questions abt that)

When you surrender your Indian Citizenship, They return your Indian passport with cancelled stamp on it and a piece of paper called surrender certificate.(Fees $125).

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Thanks desi jatt and swindsor for thorough response, so that means I don't have to cancel my visitors visa which is valid until 2021. I am waiting for oath and after that need to surrender my Indian passport (wish India allowed dual citizenship).

I still wonder if my record in States would pop up as Indian on visitors visa while carrying Canadian passport once I have it. So I was thinking to revoke my visa before I surrender my Indian passport...

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
Desi jatt Talking about surrender certificate, do I have to apply for it first or can I send paper work with my Indian passport? I don't need surrender certificate first in order to cancel my Indian passport correct? Could you please guide me with the process? I am in ON.

Thanks, :)

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry but what is TN?

desi_jatt said:
U don't need to cancel your Visa, just travel with your Canadian passport, if they ask tell them that u had B1/B2 on your cancelled passport.

If the passport is cancelled, you can not use that. If your passport expires but the visa is still valid, then you have to carry both expired and new passports.

I had the same , no body ever asked me anything,until I applied for TN, I told them that I had B1/B2 ON CANCELLED Passport.

So if CBP ask you that did u ever applied for US visa before, do tell them, as they have record of that ( i know that becoz 1 of my colleague has applied for student visa from India many years ago, then he become Canadian, then when he went for his TN, they asked him questions abt that)

When you surrender your Indian Citizenship, They return your Indian passport with cancelled stamp on it and a piece of paper called surrender certificate.(Fees $125).

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lifesocoool said:
Desi jatt Talking about surrender certificate, do I have to apply for it first or can I send paper work with my Indian passport? I don't need surrender certificate first in order to cancel my Indian passport correct? Could you please guide me with the process? I am in ON.

Thanks, :)
Surrender Certificate is what you get with your Cancelled Passport from Indian High Commision. You apply for It not for cancelletaion of passport.

Check the Link http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/surrender-certificate-0

Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship on or after 1 June, 2010 must formally renounce Indian citizenship. This can be done by surrendering Indian passports for cancellation and obtaining a "Surrender Certificate" endorsement on the cancelled passport. Applicants would be required to pay a one time Renunciation Fee of Canadian $ 126 + $2 + BLS C$ 7.40 Consular surcharge while surrendering their Indian passports. The Indian passports would be cancelled and returned to the passport holder along with "Surrender Certificate" endorsement for future reference.

Production of Surrender Certificate endorsement is essential while applying for Indian visa, PIO/OCI card or any other miscellaneous consular services, in case Canadian citizenship was acquired on or after 1 June, 2010.

In case the Indian passport held at the time of acquiring Canadian citizenship is not available, a statement explaining the circumstances of the loss/damage, detailed police report of lost passport, the passport number & date of issue/expiry must be provided, along with proof in support of the claim.

The applicant would need to submit the following
1. Original Indian passport with one copy.
2. Copy of the Canadian Citizenship certificate.
3. Copy of Canadian passport, if held.
4. Fees C$ 126 + $2 + BLS C$ 7.40 including tax Consular surcharge payable by cash/credit/debit cards or Money order/Bank draft payable to " BLS International Services Inc.".
5. Applications/Indian passport sent by mail, must include a post paid envelope and prescribed fees plus BLS charges of C$ 21.75 by Money Order/Bank Draft payable to " BLS International Services Inc."

Those who acquired foreign citizenship on 31 May, 2010 or earlier need not pay the Renunciation Fee. They must however get their Indian Passport, whether already expired or not, duly cancelled.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
bangloboy said:
Sorry but what is TN?
TN is a Visa issued under NAFTA for citizens of CANADA, US and Mexico to work in one another for specific occupations. Like Canadian and Mexicans citizens working in US can Work on TN in specific occupations.

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
So desi Jatt you apply for surrender certificate when you renounce Indian citizenship or you apply before renouncing India citizenship that's something, I mean can I request surrender certificate when I am sending my passport and other paper work or do I have apply surrender certificate first and then request for renouncing Indian citizenship?

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
desi_jatt said:
TN is a Visa issued under NAFTA for citizens of CANADA, US and Mexico to work in one another for specific occupations. Like Canadian and Mexicans citizens working in US need TN.
I don't think you're quite right. Canadian & Mexican citizens are eligible to apply for TN visa; however, they do not necessarily need TN in order to work in the USA. They still can be employed in other work visas if they qualify for them.
lifesocoool said:
What happens to visitors visa of US when you give up citizenship that has US visa? I know you have to surrender or revoke it but for that I can get it done at the border or not?
Your visa goes with your passport; period. If you're not entitled (e.g. automatic renunciation of citizenship by acquiring a foreign citizenship) to hold the passport, which has a US or any visa, anymore, you cannot use that visa. You got to apply for a new visa, in the current passport.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
IBMER said:
I don't think you're quite right. Canadian & Mexican citizens are eligible to apply for TN visa; however, they do not necessarily need TN in order to work in the USA. They still can be employed in other work visas if they qualify for them.
The Question was what is TN, I never said its the Only Visa Option Available to Canadian & Mexicans to work in US.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
lifesocoool said:
So desi Jatt you apply for surrender certificate when you renounce Indian citizenship or you apply before renouncing India citizenship that's something, I mean can I request surrender certificate when I am sending my passport and other paper work or do I have apply surrender certificate first and then request for renouncing Indian citizenship?
Its One Single process of Renouncing Indian Citizenship, with the end result of getting surrender certificate along with cancelled Indian passport. go through the link i posted in previous posts.

U apply for Surrender Certificate, there is no other process for renouncing Indian citizenship.