+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Visitors visa - Citizenship Canada

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
desi_jatt said:
The Question was what is TN, I never said its the Only Visa Option Available to Canadian & Mexicans to work in US
I replied the way I did because you wrote: "Like Canadian and Mexicans citizens working in US need TN." (which you now corrected.)

ikea17

Sep 5, 2013
IBMER said:
I replied the way I did because you wrote: "Like Canadian and Mexicans citizens working in US need TN." (which you now corrected.)
What are the other options to work in the US other than TN and H1b, I wonder.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do Indian nationals need to always surrender their passport when they are granted another citizenship? Can't they just hide it from the Indian officials. I know, for example, Egyptians need to surrender their citizenship. But I believe some don't. Even though it's illegal.

lifesocoool said:
So desi Jatt you apply for surrender certificate when you renounce Indian citizenship or you apply before renouncing India citizenship that's something, I mean can I request surrender certificate when I am sending my passport and other paper work or do I have apply surrender certificate first and then request for renouncing Indian citizenship?

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
You answering your own question farrous, it is absolutely undoubtedly illegal to carry passport of the country who require you to surrender once you become citizen of other country.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, I know it's illegal. To reiterate my question: would you be able to hide it from your authorities. Or is it easy for them to find out?

lifesocoool said:
You answering your own question farrous, it is absolutely undoubtedly illegal to carry passport of the country who require you to surrender once you become citizen of other country.

lifesocoool

Feb 20, 2014
It may or may not be easy depending upon port of entry/exit officials. However, once they find out it may be problematic

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
If U ever had Indian passport and u Acquire another citizenship and u don't renounce your Indian citizenship,They Charge the following penalties :
so its better to renounce the Indian Citizenship ASAP u get the Canadian.

They Will know that you have not cancelled the Indian passport because earlier when ever you want to apply for Indian Visa for first time, they ask you your First Indian passport on which you landed and Last Indian Passport held & now may be surrender certificate. ( not sure I got OCI )
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mission/Consulate would levy penalty if the Indian passport has not been cancelled for more than 3 years, or if it was utilized to visit India or any other consular service was obtained after acquiring foreign nationality. The penalty would be in addition to the Renunciation Fee. Contact your nearest Mission/Consulate or BLS International Services Canada Inc. Centres to find out the exact amount of penalty. Following are the provisions relating to penalty:
(A) Penalty for retention of Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship for a period in excess of three years from the date of acquiring Canadian citizenship
(a) if your Passport expired on or before 31 Dec, 2004 – no penalty
(b) if your Passport expired on or after 1 Jan, 2005 – C$ 180
[Kindly Note: Retention Penalty (C$180) is different from Renunciation Fee (C$ 126). The latter needs to be paid by those who acquire foreign nationality on or after 1 June, 2010.]
(B) Penalty for traveling on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 180 for each time, subject to a maximum of C$ 900
(C) Penalty for getting Indian Passport Renewed or Reissued after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 450 for each such renewal or reissue.
(D) Penalty for obtaining any miscellaneous passport service (name change/correction etc.) on Indian Passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship is C$ 180 for each such service.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
farrous13 said:
Sorry, I know it's illegal. To reiterate my question: would you be able to hide it from your authorities. Or is it easy for them to find out?
Hiding the passport from the authorities is as good as, by and large, hiding any paper you are not supposed to carry. It's akin to asking how likely am I to be caught if I do this illegal activity. The answer depends on a lot of factors such as, but not limited to, where you're flying through, how easily accessible (for an authority) your I-should-NOT-carry-this passport is and such.
Claiming to be an Indian citizen after you acquire a foreign citizenship, as of this date, is outright UNLAWFUL.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I think it depends on the country. Some countries are strict on enforcing and some are lax.

I am from Kazakhstan and my country doesn't allow dual citizenship. However in practice a lot of people keep their Kazakh passports even after they obtain another citizenship. They fly through third countries and there is not even a rule what the penalty would be if one is caught.

For example, by Kazakh Constitution, when a Kazakh citizen obtains another citizenship he/she automatically loses Kazakh citizenship. However, in order to renounce Kazakh citizenship, you have to do a formal application. So there is already a contradiction.

It seems to me since India has more emigrants in various countries as well as longer history as an independent state, it has clearer rules and processes in place.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
@Dejaavu: Here's how it works with India.
The moment an Indian citizen acquires foreign citizenship s/he loses his / her Indian citizenship. So using Indian passport is ILLEGAL right from that moment (of becoming a foreign citizen). However, one has to formally apply for renunciation including surrender of Indian passports.
Loosely, it's akin to a baby's birth: the moment a baby is born in a country's territory (by and large in most cases) the baby becomes the citizen of the country. However, there is a formal process too by which the baby gets a certificate to that effect.
Now, how seriously a country looks at violations of loss of citizenship is purely subjective.