+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US trained Doc PR question

ssr18

Jun 4, 2013
I am a medical doc in Canada and I completed my post grad in the US on a J1 visa. I am a Permanent resident in Canada. My PR card will expire shortly.
I work full time here in Canada. My family including my siblings are all Canadian Citizens. If I apply now I would be 90 days short of the 730 day obligation.
I was informed by an Immigration Lawyer to still apply even if I do not have enough days. I was told that an immigration judge would most likely give me a year extension on my PR card and that after that allocated time period I should reapply for my PR card. I was told not to wait until I had enough days as this would look "suspicious"

I have been on this website multiple times and I am at odds on the best way to proceed. If anyone can help I would truly appreciate it.

Thank You.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would get rid of that lawyer. There are no one year extensions on PR cards. Don't apply to renew your PR card until you meet the residency obligation.

Again, get rid of your lawyer - he has no idea what he's doing.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
As scylla said, there is no such thing as a one-year extension to your PR card.

If you apply right now, they will report you and you would have to appeal. During the appeal process, they may grant you a one-year validity PR card, but you do not want to be in this situation to begin with, especially since you have already entered Canada un-reported, and have a full-time job.

The ONLY way to safely apply for PR card renewal is wait until you satisfy the residency requirement, that is to have 2 years of physical presence out of the LAST 5 years.

As you wait to make up the 90 days, make sure that you only look back five years (and NOT include any days that are outside this five year window).

Keep in mind, days that you accumulated during your early PR period won't count anymore, and you will probably have to wait a bit longer than 90 days after the PR card expiration day.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
scylla said:
I would get rid of that lawyer. There are no one year extensions on PR cards. Don't apply to renew your PR card until you meet the residency obligation.

Again, get rid of your lawyer - he has no idea what he's doing.
Exactly what I said in my reply to her PM. Some lawyers seem to deliberately trap their clients into a situation that will lead to more legal fees for the lawyer.

To the OP. Sack the lawyer!

ssr18

Jun 4, 2013
Thank you kindly to everyone who replied me. I will definitely be informing him I will not be requiring his services.

I did my research before meeting him and had read that I should wait to apply after I had met the necessary 730 days. I met him out of respect to my parents who requested I meet with an immigration lawyer.

I even asked him whether I could stay until I had completed my 730 days prior to applying and he stated ( his words not mine ) that such behaviour from a "medical professional" would look very inappropriate like I was trying to hide something and immigration would scrutinize my application even more ? I now know this to be false !

Thank you all very much for helping me. I am glad that there are people out there that still look out for others.