+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

alibra22

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
All US apps as of approximately June have been kept in Mississauga. Nobody has been transferred to Ottawa in months. Presumably they are backed up. Typically US folks would be processed in Ottawa.
My file was transferred to Los Angeles last month

US Outland super nervous

marlowe

Apr 29, 2016
My file was transferred to Los Angeles last month

US Outland super nervous
I also should say -- for all those people nervous about where their application has been sent -- from Mississauga our application was sent to the case processing centre in Ottawa. However, during the year it took to get approved, the file was sent to Manila, Philipines, for part of the process, then sent back to Ottawa for final background checks, etc. We know this because we received a request for a certain medical support letter (they called this 'furtherance medical') and the request came from Manila.

So I don't think people should second-guess that their app is 'stuck' in Mississauga. It may have been sent to another office somewhere in the world and you will never know that unless you receive some communication from them.

This whole process is a matter of waiting. They say a year, so one just has to go on with one's life, and if it's less than a year: bonus! If it's more than a year, as it was in our case because of an email snafu, then get on the phone and email track and keep at them. Otherwise, all we can do is practice patience and try to keep our frustration contained. All best to those who are waiting -- you will hear from them. Do something else in the meantime. :)

alibra22

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
I also should say -- for all those people nervous about where their application has been sent -- from Mississauga our application was sent to the case processing centre in Ottawa. However, during the year it took to get approved, the file was sent to Manila, Philipines, for part of the process, then sent back to Ottawa for final background checks, etc. We know this because we received a request for a certain medical support letter (they called this 'furtherance medical') and the request came from Manila.

So I don't think people should second-guess that their app is 'stuck' in Mississauga. It may have been sent to another office somewhere in the world and you will never know that unless you receive some communication from them.

This whole process is a matter of waiting. They say a year, so one just has to go on with one's life, and if it's less than a year: bonus! If it's more than a year, as it was in our case because of an email snafu, then get on the phone and email track and keep at them. Otherwise, all we can do is practice patience and try to keep our frustration contained. All best to those who are waiting -- you will hear from them. Do something else in the meantime. :)
Great Advise! ;)

ChaosCat

Jan 16, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-08-2016
Just to update ... don't want to depress anyone, but our wait has been 15 months now. I am Canadian sponsor living in U.S. with my American spouse; our app for his PR was received August 2016. Everything is "in order" according to the email response from IRCC; it seems we are waiting for background check to complete; we are, according to the email, to "rest assured" that we will be notified of the decision. We have retired, we have sold our house, our children/grandchildren live in Canada and are anxious for us to move there. This is so unbelievably frustrating. I never thought it would take this long. When I see people getting their COPR in 7 months or less, I feel so isolated in this process. Well ... just had to vent. :(
I am in the same boat. Our application was received in August 2016 & began processing in September 2016. When I go online to check the status it says they're processing background checks, which has been going on since at least August 2017... Getting really damn tired of waiting, waiting, waiting.. That whole pile of baloney about them processing applications received before Dec 2016 really gave us a false sense of hope, and now we're months behind the "average" processing time despite spending a lot of money on an immigration lawyer to make sure we did everything correctly.

It's particularly frustrating as my entire life is on hold while we're waiting, and my husband and I are only able to see each other about three times a year. We just want to be able to be together!

marlowe

Apr 29, 2016
I am in the same boat. Our application was received in August 2016 & began processing in September 2016. When I go online to check the status it says they're processing background checks, which has been going on since at least August 2017... Getting really damn tired of waiting, waiting, waiting.. That whole pile of baloney about them processing applications received before Dec 2016 really gave us a false sense of hope, and now we're months behind the "average" processing time despite spending a lot of money on an immigration lawyer to make sure we did everything correctly.

It's particularly frustrating as my entire life is on hold while we're waiting, and my husband and I are only able to see each other about three times a year. We just want to be able to be together!
Make sure you read all my posts -- I spent some time describing the steps we took to find out what was going on. You want to make sure you haven't fallen through the cracks. Best thing is to call the 'within Canada' status line and press 0 to wait to speak to an actual agent.

poetrydiva

Apr 4, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
03-07-2017
Doc's Request.
06-10-2017
AOR Received.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
18-01-2018
We submitted our Outland spousal application in July. My online account shows that it was received 07/13/2017 and AOR1 was received 09/26/2017. I got my Background Check/Police Certificate Request on 10/06/2017. I got confirmation on 11/03/2017 that they received my BCR and forwarded to the appropriate office. Then I got the Passport Request on 12/20/2017. I submitted the scanned copy of mine but I don't have passports for my kids because they are minors and the checklist said passports weren't required, so I hope that doesn't slow things up. Also, when does the SA typically come in all of this?

ChaosCat

Jan 16, 2018
USA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-08-2016
Make sure you read all my posts -- I spent some time describing the steps we took to find out what was going on. You want to make sure you haven't fallen through the cracks. Best thing is to call the 'within Canada' status line and press 0 to wait to speak to an actual agent.
I can't call because I'm not in Canada and have no plans to go up there for at least 2 months.. can my husband/sponsor call on my behalf or will they not talk to him?

Up to this point I've been trusting that our immigration lawyer is checking into things on our behalf on a regular basis, but after the umpteenth "no change, everything is status quo, just keep waiting" email I'm losing confidence that they're doing or are going to do anything at all aside from checking the website every few months.

marlowe

Apr 29, 2016
I can't call because I'm not in Canada and have no plans to go up there for at least 2 months.. can my husband/sponsor call on my behalf or will they not talk to him?

Up to this point I've been trusting that our immigration lawyer is checking into things on our behalf on a regular basis, but after the umpteenth "no change, everything is status quo, just keep waiting" email I'm losing confidence that they're doing or are going to do anything at all aside from checking the website every few months.
In our case, it was only when we actually called the 'within Canada' status line 1-888-242-2100 -- together, on speaker phone, from a land line in Canada -- and got an agent to listen to us and pay attention to our problem, that we got action. Like you, we had passed the 12 month mark and felt entitled to an answer. Your husband could try to call without you and see what happens -- my sense of dealing with them is that once the sponsor is approved, they want to deal expressly with the applicant. If so, you might want to make it a priority to get up there. Our problem was a mistyped email address. If we had not contacted them and actually got through to a real person, I don't think anything would have happened. Seems like the consequence of missing your entry date (a year past your medical) would be catastrophic and you would have to re-apply. I also wondered about hiring an immigration lawyer, but unless he/she can confirm a direct communication link (to a real IRCC employee) I'm not sure they can help.

us2017

Feb 9, 2017
Vermont, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
Doc's Request.
28-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-02-2017
File Transfer...
02-03-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
09-01-2017
In our case, it was only when we actually called the 'within Canada' status line 1-888-242-2100 -- together, on speaker phone, from a land line in Canada -- and got an agent to listen to us and pay attention to our problem, that we got action. Like you, we had passed the 12 month mark and felt entitled to an answer. Your husband could try to call without you and see what happens -- my sense of dealing with them is that once the sponsor is approved, they want to deal expressly with the applicant. If so, you might want to make it a priority to get up there. Our problem was a mistyped email address. If we had not contacted them and actually got through to a real person, I don't think anything would have happened. Seems like the consequence of missing your entry date (a year past your medical) would be catastrophic and you would have to re-apply. I also wondered about hiring an immigration lawyer, but unless he/she can confirm a direct communication link (to a real IRCC employee) I'm not sure they can help.
There is a number you can call to reach the CIC from outside Canada, but you have to call from something like Google Voice. I've had success with this method in the past. However, on my most recent call the agent asked my status in Canada. Fortunately I was in Canada, as I would not advise lying to the agent. I believe the number is 613 944 4000, you can use the menu to get redirected to the CIC. Your luck may vary depending on the system you use to call. https://www.immigroup.com/news/how-call-citizenship-and-immigration-canada-outside-canada

I'm not sure what you mean by "missing your entry date (a year past your medical) would be catastrophic". If your medical "expires" they will either extend the "expiration" or they will require you to submit new medical before issuing your PPR. It may make the process longer but it won't be catastrophic and you WILL NOT need to reapply. However, if you are issued a CoPR and don't land before that expires, then you probably will need to re-apply (I'm not entirely sure to be honest but I would not advise it in any situation).

For immigration lawyers, I haven't heard anyone on the forums who had a good experience or felt it was necessary. The exception may be where there are serious reasons that someone may be inadmissible or who may have misrepresented something in their application.

With the phone line, results may vary. I've heard some phone agents get involved in the case and push for answers, but none ever did in my case. Worth calling though if you can.

us2017

Feb 9, 2017
Vermont, USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
Doc's Request.
28-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-02-2017
File Transfer...
02-03-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
09-01-2017

MizKat

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Texas
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
11-07-2017
Doc's Request.
20-08-2017
AOR Received.
19-08-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017
Med's Done....
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
20-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2018
Just a heads up for those of you in the PPR stage... when you are sending your passport copy and docs to Ottawa for CoPR, keep the PDF file of the return commercial invoice. My husband was supposed to receive his CoPR today by FedEx, but it got held up in Customs because the shipment was missing the return commercial invoice (even though we had submitted it to Ottawa). I contacted FedEx, spoke to the agent handling our shipment, and was able to email him the commercial invoice because I had saved it. The agent released the hold within minutes, and we should receive the CoPR tomorrow.

Reactions: NorthwardCA

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
hi everyone, I originally filed PR application to sponsor my spouse back in October 2016. The process was much longer for us as our application went to the LA office for further processing. During the processing time, we were required to submit some supporting documents and also re-fill some forms we originally filled at the time of submission of our applications.

Today we finally saw the update of "decision made " and also my wife received an email from Immigration Canada asking for some documents. I am not sure about one of the information and/or documents we are supposed to submit. I am not sure about what they are asking us regarding validity of medical example expiring on March 14th. She did her medical in Canada and the physician sent her results directly to immigration Canada at the beginningn of our application. This can also be seen online as it says"medical results received ". We are not sure what are they asking us to action on. Can someone please help / clarify. See the list below pasted from email. thanks ! :

We require you to submit the following documents and/or information:

Ø Copy of valid passport’s or travel document’s biographic information page

Ø Two (2) photographs (see Photograph Specifications)

Ø Completed height and eye colour chart

Ø Current mailing address (if different from the one shown above)

Ø Prepaid return envelope

Ø Your medical exam validity is expiring on March 14, 2018..

Submit the items requested above BY MAIL within 15 DAYS from the date of this letter. Failure to provide them on or before the specified timeframe will lead us to conclude that you are no longer interested in immigrating to Canada. Enclose a copy of this letter or include your reference numbers in your correspondence when communicating with this office.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
The medical exam results are good for one year. They are probably mentioning it so that you will send them the other documents promptly and she can land before March 14. That is how I'm interpreting it, anyway.

Reactions: mruhomau and KBH

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
The medical exam results are good for one year. They are probably mentioning it so that you will send them the other documents promptly and she can land before March 14. That is how I'm interpreting it, anyway.
oh ok - thats how my wife is interpreting it as well. So basically they are informing us the the medical results are good until March 14th, so she needs to land in Canada by March 14th. awesome, thanks !

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
oh ok - thats how my wife is interpreting it as well. So basically they are informing us the the medical results are good until March 14th, so she needs to land in Canada by March 14th. awesome, thanks !
Yup, I interpret the same way. I think they're just telling you to hustle because the COPR will expire on March 14th, so don't dilly dally in submitting your docs to them. Congrats, you must be so relieved!

Reactions: mruhomau