+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, keep in mind that the published timings for outland applications at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp represent when 80% of the applications are completed. So, by design, most are completed faster.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
What is the general time frame for getting your PR card after landing? I landed July 24th and still haven't rec'd it.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tullysgirl said:
What is the general time frame for getting your PR card after landing? I landed July 24th and still haven't rec'd it.
It's currently taking 54 days (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp). Give CIC a call to check on the status so they can tell you when/if they've mailed it or if there's some sort of issue. Good luck!

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
OhCanadiana said:
It's currently taking 54 days (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp). Give CIC a call to check on the status so they can tell you when/if they've mailed it or if there's some sort of issue. Good luck!

Just called CIC. Turns out, my "file" was sent to the local office (Saskatoon). They want me to come in for an interview?? To issue my PR card?? I asked her if this was common and the rep said, "no", but they apparently want to verify something???

Anyone else had this happened or am I just the lucky one???

What on earth could they need/want? I wonder..... Looking at my landing doc, the border gave me the CIC copy that has my pic on it and sent my copy to CIC. I bet they need the/a pic!

BAH!!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Tullysgirl said:
What on earth could they need/want? I wonder..... Looking at my landing doc, the border gave me the CIC copy that has my pic on it and sent my copy to CIC. I bet they need the/a pic!

BAH!!!
I bet that is EXACTLY it. They gave you back the wrong copy. They need a pic and need you to come in to take one (i.e. interview)! Man what a pain!

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
Hello All,

I'm trying to fill out the form for GCMS/atip online however I'm not sure which is which with regards to the access to information act or privacy act? Which one should I choose? Also if my wife have been approved in sponsor and LA has my file, do I select permanent residence file or sponsorship as the info I'm requesting? Please and thank you.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mushmash said:
Hello All,

I'm trying to fill out the form for GCMS/atip online however I'm not sure which is which with regards to the access to information act or privacy act? Which one should I choose? Also if my wife have been approved in sponsor and LA has my file, do I select permanent residence file or sponsorship as the info I'm requesting? Please and thank you.
Are you asking for your own file? If so (and you are in Canada) then it is a privacy act request. If you are not in Canada, you need someone in Canada to ask on your behalf (in which case it is an "access to information" request).

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Another general question :)

When I submitted my application, I didn't include the Right of Permanent Resident Fee which we were told by the CIC could be paid later. I am wondering if anybody else also paid that fee after the initial app. submission, and if so, were there any hang ups or issues getting the payment linked to the file? We just had to save up cash for it, but are about ready to make the payment and wanted to know of any potential issues.

It's funny, I was all hyper when we first submitted the application and each of the initial stages like Sponsorship Approval were met. lol now I understand what folks had talked about in regards to the "Long Wait"... lol feels like it's just getting started too.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Florida Bear said:
When I submitted my application, I didn't include the Right of Permanent Resident Fee which we were told by the CIC could be paid later. I am wondering if anybody else also paid that fee after the initial app. submission, and if so, were there any hang ups or issues getting the payment linked to the file? We just had to save up cash for it, but are about ready to make the payment and wanted to know of any potential issues.
The sponsor needs to communicate the information (e.g., a copy of the receipt) to CPC-M. CPC-M then updates the file (online) to indicate the fee has been paid. To do this, the sponsor needs the file number (on the sponsor approval letter) in order to permit CPC-M to match up the receipt with the file.

Florida Bear said:
It's funny, I was all hyper when we first submitted the application and each of the initial stages like Sponsorship Approval were met. lol now I understand what folks had talked about in regards to the "Long Wait"... lol feels like it's just getting started too.
It's a lot of hurry up and wait (and I was lucky - my second application took 3.5 months for sponsor approval and 3.5 months for applicant approval, which was really amazing given that we were right in the middle of the Buffalo closure and movement of everything to Ottawa). But the first application took 30 months (to a refusal)... so yes, it's nerve wracking.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Money Question-

I know to avoid $10,000 in the bank, otherwise there's a big tax by the US govt. What about cashing out a US 401K? I understand there are penalties to it, the US will excise a tax I think, should I assume the CA govt will as well?

Asking our CPA seems useless as they don't know much about my US income/stuff.

Not to mention, we'd like to avoid "surprises"-we got a bill owing GST and Child Tax. :mad:

Anyone have experience in this?

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Tullysgirl said:
Just called CIC. Turns out, my "file" was sent to the local office (Saskatoon). They want me to come in for an interview?? To issue my PR card?? I asked her if this was common and the rep said, "no", but they apparently want to verify something???

Anyone else had this happened or am I just the lucky one???

BAH!!!

Wondering if I call the S'toon office when I get the packet and offer to send them their copy if that could avoid $80 in gas and a treacherous 6 hr round trip in the snow....?? Anyone have experience/insight on this?

sunnynoon

Jan 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quick question for those of you who stayed in Canada as a visitor while your PR app was pending.

I was originally going to apply inland - and was going to wait until the medical was requested before sending it- can this also be done with outland. I know it's not ideal - but I have just about everything ready to send out and if I have to wait until a medical is done it is just going to push me back again... :/

Also - what exactly does the medical consist of? I am only 28 - don't have any health issues...so I can't imagine that there would be much to look at - I am not a huge fan of going to the doctor in general and so I just want to know what to expect.

Lastly - I have had some issues at the border (back in March was denied entry as I couldn't prove ties to the US). I have come back and forth every weekend since then - and now have been in Canada since Oct. 18th. Arrived stating I would be here a month - and of course because of my previous issue - they brought me in to speak to immigration. They took copies of my return ticket. Stamped my passport with no out date (which I have been told means that legally I can be here for 6 mo - even though they know when my return flight is - Nov 17th). I will have to apply to extend my visitor stay before that 6 mo is up (sometime in March). My question is that with the previous issue and them knowing exactly where I am (for awhile they would have me sign in and out at the border when I came and went - they have our address and I just ran into one of the border patrol agents at the post office the other day that knows exactly who I am). Maybe I am just paranoid - but how often are extensions denied to US applicants who stayed longer than they originally stated when they crossed?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
sunnynoon said:
I was originally going to apply inland - and was going to wait until the medical was requested before sending it- can this also be done with outland. I know it's not ideal - but I have just about everything ready to send out and if I have to wait until a medical is done it is just going to push me back again... :/
You risk them returning the application as incomplete. If they do accept it, then you will add a couple of months onto the processing schedule.

sunnynoon said:
Also - what exactly does the medical consist of? I am only 28 - don't have any health issues...so I can't imagine that there would be much to look at - I am not a huge fan of going to the doctor in general and so I just want to know what to expect.
Medical history, some blood work (exactly what depends upon your medical history) and a chest x-ray.

sunnynoon said:
Lastly - I have had some issues at the border (back in March was denied entry as I couldn't prove ties to the US). I have come back and forth every weekend since then - and now have been in Canada since Oct. 18th. Arrived stating I would be here a month - and of course because of my previous issue - they brought me in to speak to immigration. They took copies of my return ticket. Stamped my passport with no out date (which I have been told means that legally I can be here for 6 mo - even though they know when my return flight is - Nov 17th). I will have to apply to extend my visitor stay before that 6 mo is up (sometime in March). My question is that with the previous issue and them knowing exactly where I am (for awhile they would have me sign in and out at the border when I came and went - they have our address and I just ran into one of the border patrol agents at the post office the other day that knows exactly who I am). Maybe I am just paranoid - but how often are extensions denied to US applicants who stayed longer than they originally stated when they crossed?
If you have a pending application it is unlikely your extension will be rejected. CBSA enforces at the border, but once you are in Canada they aren't going to come looking for you unless there's a reason to do so.

Nicole119

May 18, 2013
Filed my application aug 2012, recieved oct. 2012
And after a long wait, me my husband from LA is having an interview
Not till jan 2014. Does anyone here is having an interview coming up too?