US outland applicants' thread :)

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Tullysgirl said:
THANK YOU!!

LIST OF TO DOs IS ENORMOUS!! How did you decide what to do first??

Is there a list of "acronyms" for those of us new to it? And what the heck is a CORP? ???
when i was new to these canadian immigration things i reacted the same way but slowly you will get used to it
btw
COPR means Confirmation Of Permanent Residence
which will be given to you when you will get your visa issued..

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
LOL GOD BLESS all you dealing with us newbies!!

Is the COPR issued when the PR app is rec'd or when it's finalized?

When I got my Nexus card, I was told when I get my "number" from Immigration that they've rec'd my PR app, then that's when I can bring my belongings over. Anyone know about this?

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
hsquared said:
Hey All,
I was wondering, has anyone from the US received their corp after the buffalo closure/transfer of files scene.
Nope. Quiet like a morgue. Maybe they all got laid off or gone on summer holiday.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Tullysgirl said:
LOL GOD BLESS all you dealing with us newbies!!

Is the COPR issued when the PR app is rec'd or when it's finalized?

When I got my Nexus card, I was told when I get my "number" from Immigration that they've rec'd my PR app, then that's when I can bring my belongings over. Anyone know about this?
i dont know anything about Nexus card
but COPR is issued when the application if finalised. last stage you can say and then the landing process starts in
whats this Nexus card ?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
simb said:
whats this Nexus card ?
Nexus is a join US/Canadian program for expedited border crossing. See https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

If you have a Nexus card it is very easy to cross between the US and Canada - much lower levels of scrutiny. For example, when I fly into Vancouver or Montreal from outside Canada, I just use the Nexus machine. Out pops a little card and I walk through to pick up any bags and then out via customs - you completely bypass the immigration officer step.

Obtaining one requires you be a US and/or Canadian citizen and you pass a background check by both countries.

It's $50 for five years.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Tullysgirl said:
THANK YOU!!

LIST OF TO DOs IS ENORMOUS!! How did you decide what to do first??

Is there a list of "acronyms" for those of us new to it? And what the heck is a CORP? ???
indeed - lots of thing to do. I suppose that it depends on the time you have, and the energy etc! for me, I started working piece by piece. Forms by form. One thing to do it to print out all forms and guidelines, and start putting notes, information, etc. Start gathering proofs, evidences, etc. And clear out a space in your house for it! for us it meant that for 3 months we didn't have dinner at the table, since it was "occupied" by papers. Make piles, rearrange... and start again! take a break from it for a few days when it becomes too much, and remember that it is normal to get overwhelmed. at some point you reach a stage where it starts to make sense, where you can see the end of the tunnel, and it starts feeling a little bit better - less overwhelming... and soon you will find out the best way to present your application. Follow the check lists as much as possible, but try not to compare with other applications that you read about - every application is different. Some people send over 10kg of proofs ( literally!!), some less.. try and leave your application aside for a while when you worked on it for a bit, and see if it would convince a stranger that 1. you intend to live in Canada ( which might be the easiest since you are already in Canada, so that should be pretty straightforward to prove! just gather proofs of where you are, what you are doing, etc), and 2. that you are a real couple. Pictures, letters from friends, trips together, shared bank account ( see if you can ad dhis name to your bank account), anything!

then - if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Reading the forum is a good place, and there are plenty of US/Can couples who can help...

Good luck!
Sweden

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
computergeek said:
Nexus is a join US/Canadian program for expedited border crossing. See https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

If you have a Nexus card it is very easy to cross between the US and Canada - much lower levels of scrutiny. For example, when I fly into Vancouver or Montreal from outside Canada, I just use the Nexus machine. Out pops a little card and I walk through to pick up any bags and then out via customs - you completely bypass the immigration officer step.

Obtaining one requires you be a US and/or Canadian citizen and you pass a background check by both countries.

It's $50 for five years.
thanks for the info

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Sweden said:
indeed - lots of thing to do. I suppose that it depends on the time you have, and the energy etc! for me, I started working piece by piece. Forms by form. One thing to do it to print out all forms and guidelines, and start putting notes, information, etc. Start gathering proofs, evidences, etc. And clear out a space in your house for it! for us it meant that for 3 months we didn't have dinner at the table, since it was "occupied" by papers. Make piles, rearrange... and start again! take a break from it for a few days when it becomes too much, and remember that it is normal to get overwhelmed. at some point you reach a stage where it starts to make sense, where you can see the end of the tunnel, and it starts feeling a little bit better - less overwhelming... and soon you will find out the best way to present your application. Follow the check lists as much as possible, but try not to compare with other applications that you read about - every application is different. Some people send over 10kg of proofs ( literally!!), some less.. try and leave your application aside for a while when you worked on it for a bit, and see if it would convince a stranger that 1. you intend to live in Canada ( which might be the easiest since you are already in Canada, so that should be pretty straightforward to prove! just gather proofs of where you are, what you are doing, etc), and 2. that you are a real couple. Pictures, letters from friends, trips together, shared bank account ( see if you can ad dhis name to your bank account), anything!

then - if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Reading the forum is a good place, and there are plenty of US/Can couples who can help...

Good luck!
Sweden
AH! You're a lifesaver Sweden!! A thousand THANK YOUs for your process. (clearing off table now)

mathilde

Jul 10, 2012
computergeek said:

It's $50 for five years.
Wow, that's awesome. Definitely looking into this!!!

Edit: On second thought... Yeah, I don't know, we'll see. I think I can handle a little hassle from a border guard. Unless, of course, having this card really does speed things up.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Sweden said:
And clear out a space in your house for it! for us it meant that for 3 months we didn't have dinner at the table, since it was "occupied" by papers. Make piles, rearrange... and start again! take a break from it for a few days when it becomes too much, and remember that it is normal to get overwhelmed.
In organizing my last application I actually bought a 4" heavy duty spiral bound binder, with sheet protectors and index tabs (they have special index tabs for inserting into a binder with pages in sheet protectors!) I probably ended up spending $100 on all the materials, but it made it very easy for me to go through and ensure absolutely everything was not only in the application but also in the correct order. The advantage of this approach is that I could simply put everything away when I wasn't working on the application. Of course, while I don't think I missed anything, I haven't receive a PPR or COPR, either...

Just before I sent it out, I actually made sure to have a scanned copy of every single page. I was particularly over the top here - I sent the scanned pages out to FedEx Office and had copies printed up and bound - so even now I have a couple of copies on my shelf that are all laid out, with everything that was in the application as well as tabs to make it easy to find specific documentation.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
computergeek said:
In organizing my last application I actually bought a 4" heavy duty spiral bound binder, with sheet protectors and index tabs (they have special index tabs for inserting into a binder with pages in sheet protectors!) I probably ended up spending $100 on all the materials, but it made it very easy for me to go through and ensure absolutely everything was not only in the application but also in the correct order. The advantage of this approach is that I could simply put everything away when I wasn't working on the application. Of course, while I don't think I missed anything, I haven't receive a PPR or COPR, either...

Just before I sent it out, I actually made sure to have a scanned copy of every single page. I was particularly over the top here - I sent the scanned pages out to FedEx Office and had copies printed up and bound - so even now I have a couple of copies on my shelf that are all laid out, with everything that was in the application as well as tabs to make it easy to find specific documentation.
Oh...another good option. Thanks computergeek!

DCGelfling

Star Member
Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2012
File Transfer...
13-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-03-2012
Passport Req..
03-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
30-12-2012
Woo, sponsorship approval! It looks like my file was transferred to Ottawa on the 13th. :D

Now the real wait begins.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Does anyone know if there is a spreadsheet or something that shows the percentage of approvals by the wait time up to the 12 month/80% that is on CIC? Like how many are done in one month,two and so on? Thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
mameelynn said:
Does anyone know if there is a spreadsheet or something that shows the percentage of approvals by the wait time up to the 12 month/80% that is on CIC? Like how many are done in one month,two and so on? Thanks!
I think you are looking for the open data project. http://www.data.gc.ca

One of the data sets is called "Permanent Resident Applications Processed Abroad and Processing Times" (available in English and French). Here's the link I obtained this morning: http://www.data.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=5175A6F0-1&xsl=datacataloguerecord&metaxsl=datacataloguerecord&formid=427337D0-7C36-4FED-8428-C6A63F8C19B3

It contains useful information such as:

20% in 5 months
50% in 8 months
80% in 12 months

For Buffalo (prior 12 months ending in the first quarter of 2012). This data is updated quarterly (so we should see an update soon that gives the Q2 numbers.)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you just want a summary, take a look at this thread where I have summarized the available timelines for spousal, partners, and dependents.