+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US green card and Canadian PR

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gummybear said:
Any one is holding both US and Canadian PR? Any trouble with the US immigration?
Almost impossible to meet residency requirements of both, US 6 mos per year, and Canada 2 years in 5.

PMM

gummybear

Sep 20, 2006
Thank you. I'm aware of that issue. The thing is in 1 year I can apply for US citizenship, and I just don't want any trouble in re-enter the US after the landing in Canada. Ever heard that happen to any one?

dacoru

Feb 24, 2006
I believe you can't hold residency in both countries. If you applied for residency in Canada, then you need to surrender you green card. Better get your citizenship before getting your PR.

zarauf

Jul 31, 2007
I read in 2 sites one on Serbinksy.com and few other places, and Also spoken to immigration attorney about this. YES this is possible, by Living in Border town US/Canadian .Live in one site and work in other site and cross the border daily,By doing this you will meeting the CItizenship requirement for one country and showing physical presence in the other country and maintaining the PR status, Once one get the citizenship of one country they can moves to other country and meet citizenship requirement of that country.It is diificult but possible, and there is no Legeal problem indicated on this immigration web site.
I dont believe that one have to surrender the residency of other country, if person does not meet the requirement then they will loose the status, Most important thing one has a Very good story to tell and convinve the immigration officer while crossing the border.
ALso I would like to know about which country License plate one can use to cross the border daily, US green Card holder could not drive the US license plate car to canada on Canadian PR status and sam eis true otherwise. What is the solution to this, is Rental CAr is acceptable in this case. I was Told by CIC officer that I will have troubl eif i Drove US plate licesning Car in canada with current PR status.
IF some one have more knowledge then please share. Please PMM advise, Help

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You don't have to surrender your US green card when you get PR in Canada. But you'll have difficulty maintaining resident status in both countries. So you should decide which one is more important.

When you get Canadian PR status, your US license is only valid for an additional 3 months. At that time, if you haven't obtained a Canadian driver's license, you can't drive in Canada.

zarauf

Jul 31, 2007
Gummy bear this may helpful to you
go to www.grasmick.com/morefaq.htm thats is US Immigration attorney web site
Q 16 ,Can I keep Both US green Card and Canadian PR status
Answer : YES
it has some solutions how to keep both and maintain residecy requirement.
Gummy bear i personally spoken to Attorney and i was told it is possible and canadian Immgration officer or Law will not have any problem with your US residency,
I have email responses about this confirmation.if you can PM we can talk about that.

this is one of the email response from attorney office i cut /copy and paste it for you Your Canadian Permanent Residency Application will not be affected by your application for status in the US .

"Your Canadian Permanent Residency Application will not be affected by your application for status in the US ."
"
As explained during our telephone discussion today, there is no rule stating that you cannot hold both Canadian and US permanent resident status. Both Canada and the USA have residency requirements which must be met in order to maintain status, and the concern is that one may have difficulty meeting both reequirements."
This is from one of the Canadian immgration firm.
I dont know any one doing it.I want to know if some one is doing it how is their experience.

pragya007

Jun 17, 2008
US green card and Canadian PR

Hello all, I just got my Canadian PR 2 weeks ago, and my labor for US green card was approved yesterday, will there be a problem for my green card application since i got my PR 2 weeks ago? Please I do need to know...

LOOKUP1981

Mar 25, 2012
Hi gummybear. I know this is a really old post, but I am wondering how/if you were able to maintsin both GC and PR.

lhene

Oct 13, 2011
Hi,

I also have a US Green Card & Canadian PR. Canada immigration law requires to complete 2 years out of 5 years so I do not lose residency. My work is in the US so I travel to Canada 2 times a year & spend 2 1/2 months in each stay so I can complete 2 years (24 months) in a 5 year period. When I arrive in Canada, I present my Canadian PR to the immigration officer & when I go back to the US, I present my US greencard to the US Border. I know Canadian immigrants cannot enter the US without a US tourist visa so I cannot use my Canada PR to travel to the US without a US tourist visa. Will it show a record in the Canada immigration that I left or exited Canada if I use my US green card to go back to the US? Please help!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lhene said:
Hi,

I also have a US Green Card & Canadian PR. Canada immigration law requires to complete 2 years out of 5 years so I do not lose residency. My work is in the US so I travel to Canada 2 times a year & spend 2 1/2 months in each stay so I can complete 2 years (24 months) in a 5 year period. When I arrive in Canada, I present my Canadian PR to the immigration officer & when I go back to the US, I present my US greencard to the US Border. I know Canadian immigrants cannot enter the US without a US tourist visa so I cannot use my Canada PR to travel to the US without a US tourist visa. Will it show a record in the Canada immigration that I left or exited Canada if I use my US green card to go back to the US? Please help!!!
Yes - assume Canadian immigration will know that you left or exited Canada regardless of what you use to go back to the US. US immigration and Canadian immigration work very closely together and share data.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
^^^^
I don't think so, otherwise a family friend I know would have been in trouble. I think they do share information on criminals and such, but not on your ordinary average citizen or PR, there is no reason for the U.S to inform Canada when their Greencard holder enters the U.S or vice versa. Canada also has no exit records.

Take it for what its worth and I guess it depends on the border officer, a family friend of ours had both a PR card (now a citizen) and Greencard in 2003.
Never had any issues, there was no stamp or anything as she just showed them her Greencard, you are allowed to enter U.S with Greencard only if driving in.

Anyway now she is a CDN citizen, and her application for U.S citizenship has been approved and she has to go for that some time this year for the oath thing.

When she goes to U.S she uses her Greencard and Lebanese passport (if flying in), and comes back to Canada on CDN passport.

She always filed U.S taxes, has a bank there, and she went there every 6 months, she also had that 2 year rentry permit thing just incase there was ever any trouble.

I dunno hiope it helps, good luck.

Generally Americans are more strict in terms of keeping your Greencard, if you are out longer than 6 months they will ask you a lot of stuff, in terms of Canada they don't seem to be t hat strict. This website is full of people who were out for a long time on their PR card and had no issues coming back in. As long as you meet the minimum rules for Canada ie 2 years out of 5 you should be ok. Its the U.S guys which are stricter, I think the fact that you work and live in the U.S will help you keep your Greecard with no problem.

lhene

Oct 13, 2011
This is really very helpful as I am planning to go to Canada either in July or August & stay for 2 1/2 months. Another question that I want to be answered is that when I go back to Canada this July or August, can I just present my US greencard to the immigration officer instead of my Canada PR card? I just want to play it safe by presenting one resident card coming in & going out of Canada versus two different kinds. Also when a US greencard holder visits Canada, does the immigration officer ask the length of stay? Truly appreciate your thoughts & advice on these questions. :)

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
lhene said:
This is really very helpful as I am planning to go to Canada either in July or August & stay for 2 1/2 months. Another question that I want to be answered is that when I go back to Canada this July or August, can I just present my US greencard to the immigration officer instead of my Canada PR card? I just want to play it safe by presenting one resident card coming in & going out of Canada versus two different kinds. Also when a US greencard holder visits Canada, does the immigration officer ask the length of stay? Truly appreciate your thoughts & advice on these questions. :)
US greencard holders can enter Canada on the same terms as U.S citizens, ie up to 6 months but depends on the border officer, but usually its ok, no bigge. They will ask you how long you want to stay, if you are flying in you might wanna show a return ticket. Be confident, don't look nervous, smile, be polite, show proof of funds for your stay, be cool man. You should be fine.

Canada won't care if you have a greencard as long as you meet the 2 yr out of 5 rule. Your Greencard is between you and the U.S gov, nothing to do with Canada. No where does it say you lose your PR card if you get a Greencard.

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
From Lhene:
This is really very helpful as I am planning to go to Canada either in July or August & stay for 2 1/2 months. Another question that I want to be answered is that when I go back to Canada this July or August, can I just present my US greencard to the immigration officer instead of my Canada PR card? I just want to play it safe by presenting one resident card coming in & going out of Canada versus two different kinds. Also when a US greencard holder visits Canada, does the immigration officer ask the length of stay? Truly appreciate your thoughts & advice on these questions.

Hi, Lhene! I know this is an old post, but I was just wondering how you've been doing with crossing the border and such. What do you present to the Canadian border officials when you cross the border to Canada as proof of legal status in the US? Thanks, and I hope I'll hear a response. Truly appreciate your advice/insights.