+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen with long expired PR Card

joenosh

Mar 21, 2016
Hello,

My parents in law are US citizen and myself and my wife are Canadian citizen, they grant their Canadian PR status and landed Canada in 2007. They then move back to US in a month as they are not get use of living in Canada by that time. Their PR Card was expired in 2012 and didn't get it renew. They travel between US and Canada using their US passport most of the time. As they get older and older, they now want to move back to Canada and living with us. Since they are not fulfilled the obligation as a PR, what should they do in order to grant back their PR status? Whether it is necessary to renew their PR card? What is the proper way to do in order to get them back to Canada and living with us?

Thanks in advance for helping.

joenosh

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
In this case, they are lost their privileges as PR of Canada, unfortunately. They need to apply again, and you could sponsor them. Also, they could apply for Parents/Grandparents Visa, which will allow them to live in Canada up to 2 years of 10. However, they will not have the right to use the social and medical benefits in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
markarbet said:
In this case, they are lost their privileges as PR of Canada, unfortunately. They need to apply again, and you could sponsor them. Also, they could apply for Parents/Grandparents Visa, which will allow them to live in Canada up to 2 years of 10. However, they will not have the right to use the social and medical benefits in Canada.
No - not true. If they can enter Canada without being reproted for failing to meet RO - they could then remain in Canada for two years straight without leaving and then apply to renew their PR cards and retain their PR status.

One big downside is that during this two year period time, it will quite likely be impossible for them to get health care coverage through the provincial systems (i.e. they would have to pay for any health care out of their own pocket or purchase their own insurance).

markarbet

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
They could apply to renew their PR Cards and will get the one correct and clear answer: lost or not their PR status. However, I know at least about 10 families in the same situation, who got answer that they lost the status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
markarbet said:
They could apply to renew their PR Cards and will get the one correct and clear answer: lost or not their PR status. However, I know at least about 10 families in the same situation, who got answer that they lost the status.
They should not apply to renew their PR cards until they have spent 2 full years in Canada. Once back in compliance with the residency obligation, only then can they apply to renew their PR cards and their status should not be lost.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
markarbet said:
The clear answer will be that they have lost their status, because they were subject to a residency examination, and found not to have met it.

If they are permitted across the border, they are legally entitled to stay as Permanent Residents. The status is lost only after a hearing, and applying for a PR card is the best possible way to get one.