+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen travelling with COPR while waiting on PR card

richc3

Sep 20, 2013
Hello,

I am a US citizen who married my Canadian sweetheart last year, and have been living with him in Canada as a visitor for the past 9 months. My immigration forms were processed relatively quickly and yesterday we drove to the US and back again so I could "land" as a permanent resident. My COPR was signed and stamped by the border officer and stapled into my passport. She explained that since I am visa-exempt, I could use the stamped COPR (along with my passport) to travel until my card arrives, also saying they were backed up and it might take a few months longer than expected.

I've been hoping to visit my family after becoming PR (via flight) and if I travel soon will arrive in time to see lots of extended family. Anecdotal evidence seems to say this should go smoothly, but on the CIC and other government sites, it practically shouts that you MUST have a PR card or PR Travel Document from a visa office. It doesn't mention visa exempt countries at all. I know I'm allowed to drive through the border but was worried that flying might cause hassle, as I know they are stricter with commercial travel for these cases.

So basically - as a US resident, if I bring my COPR and passport through customs (Vancouver customs, if that matters), should this pose a problem? I'm a bit of a worry wart and plan on bringing copies of many other supporting documents from the process, just in case. Everything else has been hassle free so far.

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can travel without a PR card or TD and return to Canada. My husband (also American) tavelled several times between the time he landed and the time he got his PR card. This included trips both to the US and internationally. No issues coming or going.

richc3

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Did your husband just have the two documents I listed - landed COPR and passport? Did they hassle him at all at customs?

We live near the border so in the absolute worst case I'd just purchase another plane ticket within the states and he'd pick me up on the US side to drive across. Just hoping it won't come to that =) Seems I should be okay. Thanks again.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
richc3 said:
Thanks for your reply. Did your husband just have the two documents I listed - landed COPR and passport? Did they hassle him at all at customs?

We live near the border so in the absolute worst case I'd just purchase another plane ticket within the states and he'd pick me up on the US side to drive across. Just hoping it won't come to that =) Seems I should be okay. Thanks again.
It won't come to that, you will be fine. The ONLY issue you could run into would be your airline refusing to let you board, but being visa exempt that is NOT an issue. You don't even need to tell them you are a PR of Canada, just let them 'assume' you are headed to Canada for a visit. Canada will NOT refuse you entry once you have landed at the airport. Just make sure to get into the line for returning residents and not visitors and let them know you haven't received your PR card in the mail yet. They won't give you any problems at all.

Have a safe and fun trip!