+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen travel conditions during PR sponsorship

intlcitzn

Apr 13, 2018
Toronto
Hello,
I am a US citizen who applied for a visitor extension on Jan 2018.
I have to leave Canada for a month at the end of April regardless of obtaining my visa extension.

My father has applied to sponsor me within Canada under family class (other relative [ I am 26]) in December 2017. I have another year and a half before I receive a response from CIC.

I need to know what my likelihood of successfully re-entering Canada once I've left in April is.

After carefully reading the CIC website I have questions for two possible scenarios.

1. If I receive my visitor extension before my departure from
Canada, I have read on the CIC website that upon re-entry I do not
need to reapply for a visitor visa given that I will have only visited
the US. Would my reentry to Canada on a visitor visa conflict with the
pending Permanent Residency application?
What are the issues I should
watch out for when talking with the immigration officer regarding
reentry on visitor visa while my PR is pending?

2. If I leave Canada before I
get the visitor visa extension – I am not sure whether that would
imply that I abandoned the visitor visa extension or even worse my PR application.. But in the former case,
what are the steps that I should follow to make my reentry to Canada
possible? Should I reapply for a visitor visa at the border? If so,
how can I justify the visitor visa application while PR is pending?

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
US citizens are visa except, meaning you don't need a visa to enter Canada. Once you leave Canada your visitor extension is invalid and you would have to re-apply after you enter Canada. Upon re-entry into Canada it's up to the border agents on whether you are allowed back in, and for how long (standard is 6 months unless they specify other). I would bring evidence of your PR application (receipt, any letters from CIC, etc.) as well as proof you have ties to the USA. Some border agents are strict and will grill you while others will let you through no problem. Also, you said in your post that your dad was sponsoring you from within Canada. Are there requirements that you must be in Canada for the duration? (I'm only familiar with spousal sponsorship and if you apply inland via spousal sponsorship if you leave Canada and are not permitted back in the country your application is rejected/declined and you have to start the whole process over again).

intlcitzn

Apr 13, 2018
Toronto
My question is moreso about the application for PR remaining valid when I leave for the U.S. with or without my visitor extension. Whether I need to wait for the extension and whether if I leave without it am I still able to re enter without any problems that an actual visitor would face...

If I use the proof of my PR UCI # and CIC emails they will know i'm not just visiting but what does that mean for my reentry?

intlcitzn

Apr 13, 2018
Toronto
US citizens are visa except, meaning you don't need a visa to enter Canada. Once you leave Canada your visitor extension is invalid and you would have to re-apply after you enter Canada. Upon re-entry into Canada it's up to the border agents on whether you are allowed back in, and for how long (standard is 6 months unless they specify other). I would bring evidence of your PR application (receipt, any letters from CIC, etc.) as well as proof you have ties to the USA. Some border agents are strict and will grill you while others will let you through no problem. Also, you said in your post that your dad was sponsoring you from within Canada. Are there requirements that you must be in Canada for the duration? (I'm only familiar with spousal sponsorship and if you apply inland via spousal sponsorship if you leave Canada and are not permitted back in the country your application is rejected/declined and you have to start the whole process over again).
No the rules for other relative sponsorship don't state I am not allowed to leave. Which is why this is so complicated to understand

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My question is moreso about the application for PR remaining valid when I leave for the U.S. with or without my visitor extension. Whether I need to wait for the extension and whether if I leave without it am I still able to re enter without any problems that an actual visitor would face...

If I use the proof of my PR UCI # and CIC emails they will know i'm not just visiting but what does that mean for my reentry?
The short answer is that it's always up to CBSA if you are allowed back into Canada and for how long. Since you are an American, re-entry is almost certain. However there's no way to guarantee you'll be allowed back in.