+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

#Urgent: Stay extension in Canada after supervisa application is in process?

misstchopra23

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
New Delhi, India
Hello folks

I'm in a bit of weird situation:

We had submitted my mom's supervisa application from India in early Aug' 2020. At that time, processing time being shown on CIC website was around 130 days.

Few days later, we noticed that the processing time had increased to 300+ days. In addition, the biometric centers were still closed in India. This meant that the application could have taken over a year to be processed depending on when the biometric centers would have opened in India.

Hence, I decided to call my mom to Canada a month later (she already has a valid visitors visa) with the hope that the biometric centers would open early over here as compared to India. In Dec, she submitted her biometrics in Canada, and we thought that her application would move faster now.

To our surprise, we recently got to know that despite having submitted her biometric here, her application is still untouched because the VACs in India are yet not processing applications under visitors or supervisa category.

So, the problem is that her 6 months of permitted period of stay would soon be nearing its end. In an ideal situation, I would consider applying for stay extension to get her a visitor record. However, given that her supervisa application is already in progress, do I still have the option to apply for visitor record? Can this stay extension request impact her supervisa application or vice versa in any way?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello folks

I'm in a bit of weird situation:

We had submitted my mom's supervisa application from India in early Aug' 2020. At that time, processing time being shown on CIC website was around 130 days.

Few days later, we noticed that the processing time had increased to 300+ days. In addition, the biometric centers were still closed in India. This meant that the application could have taken over a year to be processed depending on when the biometric centers would have opened in India.

Hence, I decided to call my mom to Canada a month later (she already has a valid visitors visa) with the hope that the biometric centers would open early over here as compared to India. In Dec, she submitted her biometrics in Canada, and we thought that her application would move faster now.

To our surprise, we recently got to know that despite having submitted her biometric here, her application is still untouched because the VACs in India are yet not processing applications under visitors or supervisa category.

So, the problem is that her 6 months of permitted period of stay would soon be nearing its end. In an ideal situation, I would consider applying for stay extension to get her a visitor record. However, given that her supervisa application is already in progress, do I still have the option to apply for visitor record? Can this stay extension request impact her supervisa application or vice versa in any way?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you absolutely need to apply to extend her visitor status in Canada before her allowed stay ends. If you fail to do that she will end up in Canada without status. Having a super visa in progress does not allow her to stay in Canada beyond the validity date of her visa. Make sure you keep her status valid to avoid problems..

misstchopra23

Star Member
Feb 18, 2018
New Delhi, India
Thank you for a prompt reply, @scylla.

Do you think that this stay extension request can have an impact on her pending supervisa application or vice versa? I mean to ask should we cancel her supervisa application so that her stay extension request is not impacted?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for a prompt reply, @scylla.

Do you think that this stay extension request can have an impact on her pending supervisa application or vice versa? I mean to ask should we cancel her supervisa application so that her stay extension request is not impacted?
No impact. You can do both.

Debby Choi

Oct 21, 2020
Hi, riding on this subject, i have a question. I am from a visa exempt country (Hong Kong), i can enter Canada using ETA. But i also want to apply for a Super Visa so that i can stay with my daughter longer, but the processing time is very long. So, still in hesitating whether to apply a Super Visa or not. It will be good if i can go to Canada after submitted application and have medical exam and biometric done in Hong Kong, then wait for the decision in Canada. If approve, then i fly back HK and reenter Canada using Super Visa. But Someone told me after submitted the Super Visa application, i can't travel to Canada, i have to wait until the process is done. Is it a correct information? But i read the thread here seems not! I want to clarify this.

Also someone told me applicant from visa-exempt country is difficult to get approval. Because officer think i can use ETA, no need for the Super Visa. Is that true? But I think Super Visa is for parent and grandparent can stay longer with their loved ones, which with different purpose from ETA or a 6 month visitor visa.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, riding on this subject, i have a question. I am from a visa exempt country (Hong Kong), i can enter Canada using ETA. But i also want to apply for a Super Visa so that i can stay with my daughter longer, but the processing time is very long. So, still in hesitating whether to apply a Super Visa or not. It will be good if i can go to Canada after submitted application and have medical exam and biometric done in Hong Kong, then wait for the decision in Canada. If approve, then i fly back HK and reenter Canada using Super Visa. But Someone told me after submitted the Super Visa application, i can't travel to Canada, i have to wait until the process is done. Is it a correct information? But i read the thread here seems not! I want to clarify this.

Also someone told me applicant from visa-exempt country is difficult to get approval. Because officer think i can use ETA, no need for the Super Visa. Is that true? But I think Super Visa is for parent and grandparent can stay longer with their loved ones, which with different purpose from ETA or a 6 month visitor visa.

Why don't you apply ETA to travel Canada and make an extension of stay later? Alternatively, you can try for super visa if your daughter is eligible.

spth38

Jan 11, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2017
Doc's Request.
19-06-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-06-2017
Passport Req..
30-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2017
LANDED..........
19-10-2017

Hi Debby,

I am in a similar situation. What path did you take at the end? has the supervisa been approved? Thanks.

Debby Choi

Oct 21, 2020
Hi, since still not sure if i can enter Canada during waiting for the result on Super Visa, and due to the long processing time (300+days), i used ETA to travel to Canada in Feb to reunite with my daughter first. Planning to apply Super Visa after i returned to my home town HK later this year.