+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent question- international student off campus working hours

dakota1r

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
I am a master student and I am completing my internship as well. It is part of my research and it is considered working off campus.
I have got two questions regarding off-campus working hours for international students. I was wondering if you could answer my questions.

• Question 1. In case of the statutory holiday, can an international student work 20 hours and still get paid for statutory holiday (holiday pay)? or should she only work 16 hours that week?

• Question 2. I am an international student and I am working off the campus for 20 hours per week. Is that possible that I can work more than 20 hours during scheduled academic breaks, like winter break or summer breaks? what are the scheduled academic breaks exactly?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Reactions: Economist9

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a master student and I am completing my internship as well. It is part of my research and it is considered working off campus.
I have got two questions regarding off-campus working hours for international students. I was wondering if you could answer my questions.

• Question 1. In case of the statutory holiday, can an international student work 20 hours and still get paid for statutory holiday (holiday pay)? or should she only work 16 hours that week?

• Question 2. I am an international student and I am working off the campus for 20 hours per week. Is that possible that I can work more than 20 hours during scheduled academic breaks, like winter break or summer breaks? what are the scheduled academic breaks exactly?

1. The limit is actual hours worked, not equivalent hours of pay.

2. If it is a scheduled break in your program calendar, you can work as many hours as you want during the break.

Reactions: dakota1r

dakota1r

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
1. The limit is actual hours worked, not equivalent hours of pay.

2. If it is a scheduled break in your program calendar, you can work as many hours as you want during the break.
Thanks
I'm working from Monday to Wednesday, 8hrs/Monday and Tuesday and 4 hours Wednesday (total of 20hoursper week), off on statutory holidays with pay. In case of one statutory holiday, I work 16 hours.
I am planning to work 20 hours a week, even if I have a statutory holiday and would still get paid for the holiday,
Where can I find this information on the website? because the company that I am working asked me to search and provide them this info.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks
I'm working from Monday to Friday, 5 hrs/day, off on statutory holidays with pay. In case of one statutory holiday, I work 16 hours.
I am planning to work 20 hours a week, even if I have a statutory holiday and would still get paid for the holiday,
Where can I find this information on the website? because the company that I am working asked me to search and provide them this info.
It is not specified anywhere, as it is fairly self-explanatory that the 20 hour limit refers to actual hours worked.

If you are working 25 hours per week while studying, you are working illegally.

dakota1r

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
It is not specified anywhere, as it is fairly self-explanatory that the 20 hour limit refers to actual hours worked.

If you are working 25 hours per week while studying, you are working illegally.
sorry, I corrected my working hours, it was wrong by mistake in my previous post.

based on my corrected post could you please answer the following question:

so is it safe to work 20 hours a week and have holiday pay (vacation pay)? or illegal?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sorry, I corrected my working hours, it was wrong by mistake in my previous post.

based on my corrected post could you please answer the following question:

so is it safe to work 20 hours a week and have holiday pay (vacation pay)? or illegal?
As I have already said, it's fine.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi, I just had a similar question. If the international student has a scheduled 20 hour work during the week, but was assigned an extra shift on a statutory holiday. Will the extra shift count towards the 20 hour limit, or will it be considered separate and be considered as a break (semester break/holiday no limit) work for that day ? Thanks, if someone can clarify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I just had a similar question. If the international student has a scheduled 20 hour work during the week, but was assigned an extra shift on a statutory holiday. Will the extra shift count towards the 20 hour limit, or will it be considered separate and be considered as a break (semester break/holiday no limit) work for that day ? Thanks, if someone can clarify.
It will count towards the 20 hour limit for that week. Turn down the shift if it takes you over 20 hours per week.

It's a single holiday day - not a semester break or holiday where you are allowed to work more than 20 hours per weeks.

jahsjsjd

Apr 13, 2020
It will count towards the 20 hour limit for that week. Turn down the shift if it takes you over 20 hours per week.

It's a single holiday day - not a semester break or holiday where you are allowed to work more than 20 hours per weeks.
If was paid 35 hours for two weeks of work (19+15) and received 5.5 hours of statutory pay that goes separate on my pay check as stat.1.0, I did not work those hours. I know that on ROE they add those hours to the regular ones as it is still considered as insurable. Is this going to be an issue?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
If was paid 35 hours for two weeks of work (19+15) and received 5.5 hours of statutory pay that goes separate on my pay check as stat.1.0, I did not work those hours. I know that on ROE they add those hours to the regular ones as it is still considered as insurable. Is this going to be an issue?
No issue. Provided you did not work on STAT to make it above 20hrs/week

Reactions: Economist9

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021

Hello! @dakota1r

I have the same question as your Q1 above.

How did the statutory holiday entitlement get counted in the off-campus work hour calculation?

Suppose someone works on a statutory holiday and their total hours worked for the week is 17.5, but they're paid for 17.5 + 3.5 (extra 3.5 hours not worked but still paid for the part-time statutory holiday entitlement).

And the pay stub will show regular hours as 17.5, along with Stat holiday hours as 3.5, so 17.5 + 3.5 will be 21 - is this considered as going beyond the 20 hour weekly limit?

Could you please respond if you have any information please. Thank you!

Economist9

Star Member
Dec 3, 2021
Hello! @jahsjsjd

I have the same question.

Could you please tell me how the statutory holiday pay is considered when calculating off-campus hours?

What if someone will be paid for stat hours but doesn't work on that day? But the hours will still be reflected on the pay cheque as stat hours paid. Does this count towards the weekly 20 hour limit?

Thank you!

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Normally they do not check every single week about how many hours each one is working. On extensions or other govt document applications, an officer can check how many hours an applicant has worked, compared to allowed limit. It will raise a red flag, if someone is allowed (lets say) 1000 hours a year, but its showing 1500 or 2000 + hours worked. Only in certain specific scenarios, very minute probability, that they may check on a weekly basis for an applicant who is working about the same number of hours as allowed in an year. In that case, you can clarify, if they ask you in writing, that in that specific week there was a federal holiday, and i was paid additionaly for that (those hours btw are not and should not be counted in your regular work week, as its federal holiday).

Plus for students, their primary purpose is studies, so make sure your academic standing is good.