+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Nicaraguan traveling back from Mexico to Canada with Expired PR!

DeniseVC

May 4, 2017
My husband has been and is a Canadian Permanent Resident for 10 years and his PR is expired but is in the process of being renewed since February. I am a Canadian. He is a Nicaraguan citizen with a valid Nicaraguan passport. He has a valid US Visa since 2009 that expires in 2019. We as a family with our daughter are going to Cancun, Mexico for a wedding of our daughter's Godmother. I know he can leave Canada but can he board on the airline on his return flight back to Vancouver, BC Canada? As grounds airline staff is it their job to authorise the passengers right to board in this circumstance? Or could he still board and be screened and likely questioned at thr Canadian Customs when landed?

He will apply for the Travel Document with all supporting documents for PRs once he arrives in Cancun MX. Does he go to the Cancun Consulate agency? Or is it to be mailed only to Mexico City? We are concern with time and safety. Our trip is only 7 days long. Will he at least be able to board the plane and prove his residency at Canadian Customs once he lands in the airport?

If he ends up having to fly to US, does he need to also prove his trip home to Canada from the US airport (Seattle or Bellingham)? I ask because I am unsure if US would simply let him with his US Visa and his Canadian residence address and supporting documents! My husband then would travel in a commercial vehicle (Shuttle bus) to Canada. But he would get off the shuttle bus at a stop before the border and travel back in a private car to enter Canada with his expired PR pending renewal and all necessary support documents to prove his residency. I will pick up my husband at the border.

I don't want to buy an airline ticket to US until I know indeed he will be denied at boarding the plane. Is this risk or decision wise/advisable? Would applying for the travel doc for expired PR holders help present his case well...and help him board on the plane?

A response is appreciated! We leave soon in 4 daysand appreciate knowing our options and how he can get back home. THANK YOU!

Reactions: Pbuttar

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
He will almost certainly be denied boarding without a valid PR card or PR Travel Document.

And getting a PR TD is not same-day service. It takes time for the visa office to process the PR TD app and place the PR TD directly into the passport.
Also there is no office in Cancun, the PR TD app and passport must be mailed (or dropped off) in 1 of 3 Mexico offices in Guadalajara, Mexico City, or Monterrey.

To be honest, 7 days (assume 5 business days) is probably not enough time to do this if everything will be through the mail. Also while they hold the passport, obviously he will be stuck in Mexico and may need to cancel/re-route flights out of Mexico depending how long the visa office takes. This can get expensive. You may want to skip the PR TD and concentrate on best solution through USA/Canada land border.

If you choose the USA option, it's fine to take a shuttle bus to the border, then cross into Canada by car. Once at the border, CBSA will be able to confirm his PR status with just passport and COPR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed that he will be denied boarding for the return flight without a valid PRTD or PR card.

He either needs to remain in Mexico long enough for the PRTD to be processed - or fly to the US and re-enter Canada by land.

DeniseVC

May 4, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
My husband got through to the PR Processing centre and spoke to a helpful agent. He suggested for us to go to the Cancun consulate, inquire, and present urgent case with all supporting documentations and see if the staff there would help to fax our application and documents directly to MX city's Canadian embassy. There is a possibility they could help quicken the process for urgent requests. It may not hurt to inquire....
But yes, the final option is to purchase a 1 way ticket airfare to Seattle, and prove that his home is in Canada. He will be picked up by a private vehicle (I will go pick him up or brother in law/father in law - family essentially).
DO YOU THINK IT IS NECESSARY TO PURCHASE A SHUTTLE TICKET WITH DESTINATION (VANCOUVER, BC) INFO, AHEAD OF TIME, JUST TO SHOW TO THE AMERICAN CUSTOM OFFICER AS A PROOF THAT HE IS GOING BACK HOME TO VANCOUVER, BC? HE WILL RIDE THE SHUTTLE BUT GET OFF EARLIER BEFORE BORDER (BECAUSE HE CANNOT CROSS THE BORDER BACK TO CANADA IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE) OR IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO JUST SAY THAT FAMILY WILL BE PICKING HIM UP AT AIRPORT ? The PR processing centre agent advised him to not to worry too much about that because as long as he has a valid American visa and support doc of his legal identity and residence in Canada, marriage certificate, employment letter, etc then he should be able to go through and enter US. DO YOU AGREE?
I was told it may help if I as his wife and my daughter could fly back together- may help quicken the process at American custom and Canada border. But yes that way would be much more expensive than just 1 one way airfare which is already costly. But if that is our only final option- to return home.

CANCUN'S CONSULAR AGENCY IS:
Consular Agency of Canada in Cancún

Jurisdiction: States of Campeche, Yucatán and Quintana Roo - North of Solidaridad municipality – including Puerto Morelos, Isla Mujeres and Holbox

Address, phone, fax, email
Consular Agency of Canada
Centro Empresarial Oficina E7
Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 12
Zona Hotelera
77599 Cancún, Quintana Roo - Mexico

Telephone: (998) 883-3360 / 883-3361
Fax: (998) 883-3232
E-mail: cncun@international.gc.ca
THANK YOU

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DeniseVC said:
He suggested for us to go to the Cancun consulate, inquire, and present urgent case with all supporting documentations and see if the staff there would help to fax our application and documents directly to MX city's Canadian embassy. There is a possibility they could help quicken the process for urgent requests. It may not hurt to inquire....
Right, there is no harm to inquire. Although keep in mind his physical passport must be sent to a visa office that processes PR TDs, so the complete app can't be faxed to them. It must be mailed to the visa office, they would process and place the PR TD inside the passport, and then need to mail it back to you. If any delays during this process, he will be stranded in Mexico until he gets the passport back.

DO YOU THINK IT IS NECESSARY TO PURCHASE A SHUTTLE TICKET WITH DESTINATION (VANCOUVER, BC) INFO, AHEAD OF TIME, JUST TO SHOW TO THE AMERICAN CUSTOM OFFICER AS A PROOF THAT HE IS GOING BACK HOME TO VANCOUVER, BC? HE WILL RIDE THE SHUTTLE BUT GET OFF EARLIER BEFORE BORDER (BECAUSE HE CANNOT CROSS THE BORDER BACK TO CANADA IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE) OR IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO JUST SAY THAT FAMILY WILL BE PICKING HIM UP AT AIRPORT ? The PR processing centre agent advised him to not to worry too much about that because as long as he has a valid American visa and support doc of his legal identity and residence in Canada, marriage certificate, employment letter, etc then he should be able to go through and enter US. DO YOU AGREE?
Note that if he intends to buy a bus ticket with final destination of Vancouver (so an international carrier), they may demand to see a Canadian TRV, or for PRs a valid PR card or PR Travel Document to board the bus. Since he doesn't have any of these, it may not be possible to buy a ticket for a bus going to Canada. Although I imagine bus companies are nowhere near as strict as airlines, so in reality boarding the bus may in fact be possible though definitely a risk.

If he could purchase a domestic bus ticket that would take him as far as the US side of border as end destination on ticket, that would probably be safer.

DeniseVC

May 4, 2017
Thank you.

The agent told him to inquire and present his case and see if the Cancun consulate would just issue his PR TD there and yes, without mailing anything to MX City Cdn Embassy. The embassy in MX city could mail back the "sticker label" (the PR TD) to add to his Nicaraguan passport.
If he suggested that that must have happened before.

(When my husband applied to visit Hong Kong, that was the situation too. Never had to mail in his physcial passport. Just got a sticker. Then again, my cousin sponsored him as a Nicaraguan visitor to Hkg. This is just his experience and I know this is comparing to a different country and procedure (a Hong Kong resident sponsorer))

You can just buy the Shuttle bus ticket online and it will be issued to you.
He would get off the bus before the border and I can pick him up.

Would it be easier if he just says his family his at the Seattle Airport to pick him up if the custom officer at Seattle asks what is plan is to go back to YVR? Of course we will really be outside at the Seattle airport to pick him up should he chooses this option. Just do not know how he can "prove" that ...and if the custom officer would "let him in" to Seattle to meet his family for his ride in a private vehicle back home to YVR.
I just don't want to over do anything..do anything that I don't need to and create more complications and "close doors" for opportunities for him to come home smoothly.

If his PR is in process and he receives a confirmation email during our trip in Mexico will that change his situation-- have any chance to board on the plane with us?

We just checked in online over an hour ago and it was successful. He got his boarding pass to Mexico. Never asked for PR info but just his Nicaraguan nationality passport ID info and his residence (Canada). That's all.
Should he expect any thing more or less that could disrupt his boarding onto the plane to Mexico tomorrow?

Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks again!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DeniseVC said:
You can just buy the Shuttle bus ticket online and it will be issued to you.
He would get off the bus before the border and I can pick him up.
What I'm saying is if the bus end destination is Vancouver, it's considered an international commercial carrier. So they may check he has valid documents for entry to Canada. If he doesn't, regardless of him buying a ticket online they may deny him boarding. You need to contact the bus company you intend to use, and ask their policy on this.

If his PR is in process and he receives a confirmation email during our trip in Mexico will that change his situation-- have any chance to board on the plane with us?
No it will make zero difference. Airline will accept only a valid PR card or PR TD, no exceptions.

We just checked in online over an hour ago and it was successful. He got his boarding pass to Mexico. Never asked for PR info but just his Nicaraguan nationality passport ID info and his residence (Canada). That's all.
Should he expect any thing more or less that could disrupt his boarding onto the plane to Mexico tomorrow?
No, there are no exit checks from Canada. His status here is irrelevant for leaving, it's only the getting home part where PR status would be important.

DeniseVC

May 4, 2017
Thanks RobTO for all the quick replies.
Alright - our travel adventures begin soon.

Do you think the US will let him through if his wife, me, and family just go pick him up at the airport then? Is that the simplest way? I will go pick him up of course if that means he can get in. He has a valid American Visa so would he be turned down? He has the right to enter the States...and he can prove his residence in Canada with his papers. Or should he just tell the customs that he will meet his family at the stop nearest to the Canadian border where the bus shuttle would make a stop. But this sounds more suspicious - more uncertain and hard to measure from the American's pt of view....

Will see how the visit to the consulate will turn out.....
and his adventures home likely through the States will be...

Thanks again
Cheers

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
DeniseVC said:
Thanks RobTO for all the quick replies.
Alright - our travel adventures begin soon.

Do you think the US will let him through if his wife, me, and family just go pick him up at the airport then? Is that the simplest way? I will go pick him up of course if that means he can get in. He has a valid American Visa so would he be turned down? He has the right to enter the States...and he can prove his residence in Canada with his papers. Or should he just tell the customs that he will meet his family at the stop nearest to the Canadian border where the bus shuttle would make a stop. But this sounds more suspicious - more uncertain and hard to measure from the American's pt of view....

Will see how the visit to the consulate will turn out.....
and his adventures home likely through the States will be...

Thanks again
Cheers
I'm really not as familiar with all the ins and outs of entering the US, so am really not sure. Probably ok as you stated, but perhaps others could advise.

Pbuttar

Sep 15, 2017
Hi I have the same situation as u.going to cancun (mexico)for wedding in November but my pr card is expired I just applied for new one.can I go to mexico with expired pr card?I have confirmation of status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I have the same situation as u.going to cancun (mexico)for wedding in November but my pr card is expired I just applied for new one.can I go to mexico with expired pr card?I have confirmation of status.
You can go to Mexico no prob. However, you will not be able to board a plane back to Canada without a valid PR card or a PRTD.

Reactions: Pbuttar

Pbuttar

Sep 15, 2017
My husband has been and is a Canadian Permanent Resident for 10 years and his PR is expired but is in the process of being renewed since February. I am a Canadian. He is a Nicaraguan citizen with a valid Nicaraguan passport. He has a valid US Visa since 2009 that expires in 2019. We as a family with our daughter are going to Cancun, Mexico for a wedding of our daughter's Godmother. I know he can leave Canada but can he board on the airline on his return flight back to Vancouver, BC Canada? As grounds airline staff is it their job to authorise the passengers right to board in this circumstance? Or could he still board and be screened and likely questioned at thr Canadian Customs when landed?

He will apply for the Travel Document with all supporting documents for PRs once he arrives in Cancun MX. Does he go to the Cancun Consulate agency? Or is it to be mailed only to Mexico City? We are concern with time and safety. Our trip is only 7 days long. Will he at least be able to board the plane and prove his residency at Canadian Customs once he lands in the airport?

If he ends up having to fly to US, does he need to also prove his trip home to Canada from the US airport (Seattle or Bellingham)? I ask because I am unsure if US would simply let him with his US Visa and his Canadian residence address and supporting documents! My husband then would travel in a commercial vehicle (Shuttle bus) to Canada. But he would get off the shuttle bus at a stop before the border and travel back in a private car to enter Canada with his expired PR pending renewal and all necessary support documents to prove his residency. I will pick up my husband at the border.

I don't want to buy an airline ticket to US until I know indeed he will be denied at boarding the plane. Is this risk or decision wise/advisable? Would applying for the travel doc for expired PR holders help present his case well...and help him board on the plane?

A response is appreciated! We leave soon in 4 daysand appreciate knowing our options and how he can get back home.
You can go to Mexico no prob. However, you will not be able to board a plane back to Canada without a valid PR card or a PRTD.
Can I go with expired pr card?will they allow me with expired card? I will realy apperceive ur advice thanks in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Can I go with expired pr card?will they allow me with expired card? I will realy apperceive ur advice thanks in advance.
Sure you can go with an expired card. There are no immigration exit controls when leaving Canada.

However you won't be able to get on a flight back to Canada without a valid PR card or PR Travel Document. So if you don't prepare for this, you may find yourself stuck in Mexico a long time.

Or you can return back to Canada via USA land border. For this just your passport and expired PR card or COPR is enough.