+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: My girlfriend is pregnant and wants to travel to Canada

mweynor

Apr 17, 2015
Hi there,

I am a PR and My girlfriend is 5 months pregnant and she got her visit visa before pregnancy.

She had no interview at the Canadian visa office and was never asked at any stage if she was pregnant by any Canadian visa officer.

I have following questions:

1. If she travels to Canada can she be stopped at the airport, although, she never misrepresented about her pregnancy?

2. If I accompany her on her way in to Canada, being a PR, do I have any legal rights to appeal at the airport to stop her from being sent back. She is 5 months pregnant and
it will be devastating for her and our unborn child given her over 15 hours of one way flight time! If she's sent back on next flight, the trauma and stress will greatly affect her pregnancy.

3. I am already married in Canada and my wife is a PR too, so I can't sponsor my girlfriend for a PR.

4. if child is born outside of Canada, and I am the father, a PR, the mother has a visit visa, can the child get a visit visa? Given that the child's father is a PR in Canada and is married to another person?

5. Can I apply for child's PR after birth, being a father and being a PR myself?

This is a really stressful situation for me and my girlfriend and I will highly appreciate an expert opinion on this please at the earliest convenience please.

Thank you,

Mike

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - it's possible she could be stopped and refused entry. However it's also entirely possible she will be allowed into Canada without any issues.
2. No - you have no legal right to an appeal process. If she is refused entry, she will have to return home on the next available flight.
4. Yes - you can apply for a visa for the child (although there is no guarantee it will be approved).
5. Yes - you can apply for the child's PR after birth (note that you must be living in Canada to do so).

amelia1727

Mar 10, 2012
1. If she travels to Canada can she be stopped at the airport, although, she never misrepresented about her pregnancy?

Is it showing already? If not, there is a big chance that they wont ask for it unless otherwise she confess it to the immigration officer. If so, how long is she planning to stay here? If it's for a short time make sure that she has health coverage just in case something happens.

My suggestion is - get a medical clearance from the OB that they are allowing her to travel. Then, buy a medical insurance so that if it's ask In the immigration you have proof that she is covered. Upon arrival, just do the usual immigration process. If it is NOT asked then don't mention about the pregnancy.

2. If I accompany her on her way in to Canada, being a PR, do I have any legal rights to appeal at the airport to stop her from being sent back. She is 5 months pregnant and
it will be devastating for her and our unborn child given her over 15 hours of one way flight time! If she's sent back on next flight, the trauma and stress will greatly affect her pregnancy.

I don't it will matter. Remember you are married here in Canada. If they will ask question it will be to your girlfriend not to you. Plus, if you will include yourself during the interrogation, official might suspect more beyond the pregnancy issue. It may also indicate that she will not leave the country at the end of her stay.

3. I am already married in Canada and my wife is a PR too, so I can't sponsor my girlfriend for a PR.

Not unless you divorce your current wife and marry her later on. It will take time though.

4. if child is born outside of Canada, and I am the father, a PR, the mother has a visit visa, can the child get a visit visa? Given that the child's father is a PR in Canada and is married to another person?

Even if you are citizen of Canada and then the baby was born outside Canada, he will not get the citizenship/PR of Canada. Not unless, that the baby was born here regardless the status of the parents (even out of status) the baby will get the Canadian citizenship.

5. Can I apply for child's PR after birth, being a father and being a PR myself?

How did you get your PR? You can only get the child if you apply for sponsorship. Make sure that you sign the birth certificate so that the child will not be illegitimate. That means also that if something happened between you and your girlfriend she can file for child support too.

mweynor

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you to both of you, for answering my questions.

She is showing some bulge but does get covered when wearing loose clothes. Are immigration officials on look out for pregnant women?

Amelia, what is OB please? And how do I get a medical coverage whilst she's outside of Canada? And will insurance company provide coverage when she's already pregnant?

And do they scan people on airports and can they find out through scans if she's pregnant?

Thank you,

Mike

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they don't scan people for pregnancy at the airport. However they do sometimes look for visibly pregnant women who look like they may be coming to Canada just to give birth. So that's why it's advisable to travel before she is too pregnant.

She will have to pay for the costs of the delivery on her own - it's not realistic to think you'll be able to get these costs covered. I would make sure you have at least $7K set aside for the delivery - although it could cost a lot more if there are complications. She won't be covered under Canada's health care system - and insurance companies will only cover the costs of pregnancy if you buy the insurance before you actually get pregnant. So unfortunately it's too late for your girlfriend to purchase any insurance.

nehamerchant

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi. You have indicated to cic that you intend to marry her. This means she has intention of migrating to Canada. TRV are for those persons who do not have intent of migration. dual intent are rarely accepted by cic though not impossible. They grant trv when person outside Canada is so well set that migration is not attractive for him/her. applying trv will not harm express entry. The criteria to assess express entry is different. In express entry you declare that you have intent of migration.

mweynor

Apr 17, 2015
Thank you all for your responses .

Scylla, she is 5 months pregnant. Will it be considered too pregnant? Also, she may use wheel chair assistance. Will that create a suspicion?

Delivery costs are no problems. I will cover those.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mweynor said:
Scylla, she is 5 months pregnant.
It's impossible for any of us to answer that question. And yes - using a wheelchair could increase the likelihood of a refused entry.

In the end, you have to accept there is a chance she could be refused entry into Canada and sent home. There is nothing you can do to guarantee she will be allowed into Canada. Y