+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] HELP - Query regarding Study Permit extension - already in Canada

abhinavjain

Aug 30, 2023
So i completed my first year program in August and now I am enrolled in another program for Jan intake (I have LOA)

The EXPIRY DATE on Study Permit is April 30, 2024
The Course Completion Date for 1st Program on LOA is October 31 but I received course completion certificate on 28th Aug.

I have not yet applied for extension. i am seeing a lot of confusion online, some say your study permit expires 90 days after you receive course completion, some say you need to apply 90 days before the date of expiry on your study permit.

I asked my classmates and there are a lot of them who have not yet applied for study permit. By when can we apply for it? I tried calling IRCC and they mentioned I can do it til March but I am still skeptical if they understood my question correctly. Can someone please help?

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So i completed my first year program in August and now I am enrolled in another program for Jan intake (I have LOA)

The EXPIRY DATE on Study Permit is April 30, 2024
The Course Completion Date for 1st Program on LOA is October 31 but I received course completion certificate on 28th Aug.

I have not yet applied for extension. i am seeing a lot of confusion online, some say your study permit expires 90 days after you receive course completion, some say you need to apply 90 days before the date of expiry on your study permit.

I asked my classmates and there are a lot of them who have not yet applied for study permit. By when can we apply for it? I tried calling IRCC and they mentioned I can do it til March but I am still skeptical if they understood my question correctly. Can someone please help?

Thank you
Your permit expired 90 days past completion so November 26. If you didn’t extend then you no longer have status in Canada. Assume you are not working because as of November 26 you would be working illegally. There is no confusion in the link. You now have to restore your status and apply for a new study permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit/when-to-apply.html

When do the 90 days begin?

The 90 days begin

• on the date you get the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) that you completed your program or
  • when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.
If you can’t prove the date you were first notified by your school, we’ll use the earliest issue date on the document. We may confirm this date with your school.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyT

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
How much should be shown for proof of funds for study permit extension.
My brother is asking for an extension till Dec 31st 2024 (end of his program). He has only one course left ( tuition $750) and he has made a commitment deposit to the school for $1500.

Oct 20, 2023
does
My brother is asking for an extension till Dec 31st 2024 (end of his program). He has only one course left ( tuition $750) and he has made a commitment deposit to the school for $1500.
doesn't affect students already here, his good

Reactions: Chefnimz

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
@Naturgrl please advise

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
He didn't renew his study permit due to misreading information. He is now inside the 90 days post expiry, he can't work and can't go to class. Due to lack of status, so he's applying for restoration of status / study permit extension. He was sick during his finals and couldn't complete a project for that class in December 2023,unfortunately school told him he has to retake it as a whole. So for now he'll just be waiting for restoration decision once he submits it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He didn't renew his study permit due to misreading information. He is now inside the 90 days post expiry, he can't work and can't go to class. Due to lack of status, so he's applying for restoration of status / study permit extension. He was sick during his finals and couldn't complete a project for that class in December 2023,unfortunately school told him he has to retake it as a whole. So for now he'll just be waiting for restoration decision once he submits it.
The issue for approval is that the course doesn’t start until September so he may not be eligible to extend permit. Given the gap of more than 6 months, probably not eligible for PGWP either.