+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent COPR at land border?

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
I am a US Citizen, a Permanent Residence with an expired PR card, living abroad because of my wife's military service for Canada.

I am accepted for a job with the Canadian military, but they need either a valid PR card or my COPR document ASAP, otherwise I will lose the job opportunity.

I am traveling back to Canada and will drive through the land border tomorrow morning, then submit my PR renewal then along with my replacement for COPR. Then fly back to Europe the following night from the USA.

My question is, has anyone successfully asked and obtained a physical copy of their COPR from a CBP officer at a land crossing? I read that has happened in the past. If I can obtain one, I would then be able to email it to the hiring department to continue with the Reliability screening.

Any need if much appreciated!

Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd be surprised if CBSA is able to provide this to you on the spot. You may have to go this route:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html

Is your new employer aware that holding an expired PR Card is, in essence, `Confirmation of Permanent Residence', because you would not have ever received the card in the first place without that status? Unless and/or until your PR status is lost, you are still a PR. The expired PR Card does not change your status.

Good luck!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd also be surprised if CBP is able to provide this to you on the spot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a US Citizen, a Permanent Residence with an expired PR card, living abroad because of my wife's military service for Canada.

I am accepted for a job with the Canadian military, but they need either a valid PR card or my COPR document ASAP, otherwise I will lose the job opportunity.

I am traveling back to Canada and will drive through the land border tomorrow morning, then submit my PR renewal then along with my replacement for COPR. Then fly back to Europe the following night from the USA.

My question is, has anyone successfully asked and obtained a physical copy of their COPR from a CBP officer at a land crossing? I read that has happened in the past. If I can obtain one, I would then be able to email it to the hiring department to continue with the Reliability screening.

Any need if much appreciated!

Thank you.
To the best of my knowledge, this isn't possible. But I guess you can try and see what happens. Let us know how it goes if you do give it a try.

The only instances I'm aware of where CBSA has re-printed a COPR is where the applicant hasn't landed yet and become a PR and there's been an issue with the COPR (e.g. it was accidentally damaged). I don't believe they can re-print the COPR for someone after someone has already landed and become a PR. At that point I don't believe they have access to the COPR in the system (i.e. it's no longer available). But I may be mistaken.

To the best of my knowledge your only option is to apply for verification of status (VOS) / replacement document through IRCC: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-verification-status-replacement-immigration-document.html

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I concur with others that it's extremely unlikely they'd be able to print you a 'new' copy of your COPR from years ago.

You could order one, but that'd take months - likely as much time as to apply for a new PR card.

Is your new employer aware that holding an expired PR Card is, in essence, `Confirmation of Permanent Residence', because you would not have ever received the card in the first place without that status? Unless and/or until your PR status is lost, you are still a PR. The expired PR Card does not change your status.
Just to underline or reiterate the point made by @Ponga: a COPR (signed and executed at the border when you landed) just shows that you were once a PR.

@Ponga's point (if I may) is that a PR card shows exactly they same thing - that you were once a PR - so makes no sense to treat this any differently (although obviously best if you still had a copy of your original COPR).

Will they accept this? I dunno. I'd hope the military could make a request through IRCC. But I'd apply for your renewal of PR card when you're in Canada just in case.

Unfortuantely your best bet may be to argue with the military that their request doesn't make sense (while applying for new PR card in parallel).

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Thank you for all your replies! Definitely appreciated.

Yes, without saying too much about the job and military, I had to explain to them what a COPR is and how it is equivalent to the Record of Landing document. I even sent in a scanned copy of my COPR document, even though it wasn't the best, it showed everything they needed. It was denied.

I completely understand the point about being a Permanent Residence since I actually have a card, even though it is expired. Definitely a much different process going through the military side of things unfortunately. They will not accept an expired PR card.

I will ask CBP and explain my situation. I know it's highly unlikely but it's my only option besides the renewal application with urgent status.

As I will only be in Canada for maybe a day to visit family and sent out my PR renewal and COPR replacement, it's my only option at the moment.

I will keep everyone updated when I can.

Thank you again to everyone.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As I will only be in Canada for maybe a day to visit family and sent out my PR renewal and COPR replacement, it's my only option at the moment.
Only thinking out loud - try calling IRCC if there is any way to get any confirmation of status (I don't know of any).

And you could also try through your MP's office; again, I'm not aware of any form of rapid confirmation, but why not try?

But this is really lack of understanding on military. Well, also a bit on you for not having renewed before.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for all your replies! Definitely appreciated.

Yes, without saying too much about the job and military, I had to explain to them what a COPR is and how it is equivalent to the Record of Landing document. I even sent in a scanned copy of my COPR document, even though it wasn't the best, it showed everything they needed. It was denied.

I completely understand the point about being a Permanent Residence since I actually have a card, even though it is expired. Definitely a much different process going through the military side of things unfortunately. They will not accept an expired PR card.

I will ask CBP and explain my situation. I know it's highly unlikely but it's my only option besides the renewal application with urgent status.

I will keep everyone updated when I can.

Thank you again to everyone.
Let us know how it goes at the border. I'm very curious.

Just to be 100% clear, you are going to ask CBSA and not CBP, yes? CBP is the US side. CBSA is the Canadian. CBP definitely won't be able to help you.

Reactions: mi75

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - this confuses me. You already gave the a copy of your COPR and that was denied? If that's the case, then getting another copy of your COPR isn't going to help. Your COPR is no longer valid. If you manage to get a cope of one at the border, it will still be invalid and will show the same dates as the one you have now. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Update....CBSA was able to find and print out my COPR!!

I called ahead and explained the situation. They said explain everything to the person in the booth and ask to be sent in to see Immigration.

Once inside, the officer was very nice and obviously helpful. I explained the situation, he checked my file and maybe three minutes later he printed out my COPR for me and wished me good luck.

Very grateful it worked out this way after a 10 hour flight and months of back and forth:) Now the security in Ottawa that oversees this process has to approve it. Which they should.

I obviously should have renewed my PR card before we were posted in Europe, so that is my fault for sure. No excuses there. And once we were there I wasn't able to send in anything being outside of Canada. I hopefully will be able to have the military update some of their documents pertaining to this issue as well.

The CBSA officer did say I could send in an application for PR renewal and eventually Citizenship from outside of Canada since I am married to a Canadian citizen and she is working for the military as well. He has said he has seen that numerous times before. Just for future reference.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future that it is a possibility to obtain your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document from a land border!

Thank you all!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Update....CBP was able to find and print out my COPR!!

I called ahead and explained the situation. They said explain everything to the person in the booth and ask to be sent in to see Immigration.

Once inside, the officer was very nice and obviously helpful. I explained the situation, he checked my file and maybe three minutes later he printed out my COPR for me and wished me good luck.

Very grateful it worked out this way after a 10 hour flight and months of back and forth:) Now the security in Ottawa that oversees this process has to approve it. Which they should.

I obviously should have renewed my PR card before we were posted in Europe, so that is my fault for sure. No excuses there. And once we were there I wasn't able to send in anything being outside of Canada. I hopefully will be able to have the military update some of their documents pertaining to this issue as well.

The CBP officer did say I could send in an application for PR renewal and eventually Citizenship from outside of Canada since I am married to a Canadian citizen and she is working for the military as well. He has said he has seen that numerous times before. Just for future reference.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future that it is a possibility to obtain your Confirmation of Permanent Residence document from a land border!

Thank you all!
Wow - that's amazing and good to know! Congrats!

So a bit of a warning on advice from CBSA (they are not CBP), you actually cannot submit your PR renewal application from outside of Canada. This is wrong. You need to be physically in Canada. CBSA sometimes passes on wrong information since they aren't as familiar with IRCC processes as they should be.

Reactions: mi75

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Sorry - this confuses me. You already gave the a copy of your COPR and that was denied? If that's the case, then getting another copy of your COPR isn't going to help. Your COPR is no longer valid. If you manage to get a cope of one at the border, it will still be invalid and will show the same dates as the one you have now. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Correct, but my copy was a phone picture from 6 years ago and wasn't a great copy truthfully. Just to buy time until I get a new one and they might accept it.

The document shows I am a permanent residence. This is their explanation to me. I know my expired PR card shows I am a PR as well. But this is what they have told me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Correct, but my copy was a phone picture from 6 years ago and wasn't a great copy truthfully. Just to buy time until I get a new one and they might accept it.

The document shows I am a permanent residence. This is their explanation to me. I know my expired PR card shows I am a PR as well. But this is what they have told me.
Ah - got it. That makes sense.

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Let us know how it goes at the border. I'm very curious.

Just to be 100% clear, you are going to ask CBSA and not CBP, yes? CBP is the US side. CBSA is the Canadian. CBP definitely won't be able to help you.
Yes, sorry for the typo. Jetlag perhaps...ha. Thank you for clarifying!

mi75

Mar 21, 2023
Wow - that's amazing and good to know! Congrats!

So a bit of a warning on advice from CBSA (they are not CBP), you actually cannot submit your PR renewal application from outside of Canada. This is wrong. You need to be physically in Canada. CBSA sometimes passes on wrong information since they aren't as familiar with IRCC processes as they should be.
Thank you. Yes I agree from everything I have read or heard. IRCC did say one time to submit as Urgent from outside Canada through the portal online as I had no other option. I am definitely going to try and finish the PR renewal form and submit it while I am here.

Reactions: scylla