+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Concerns about sending missing documents for application

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
Happy New Year!

I am making this post because I am scared about a current matter involving sending a missing document for an application that was already sent.

Here´s the story: I am currently applying to extend my Post Graduate Work Permit, which is due to expire on January 31st of 2016. My only problem is that I got married on the 3rd of October of 2015, and the process to receive the certificate of marriage takes approximately 12 weeks after the wedding ceremony to be registered and sent by the Office of the Registrar General (ORG). This means that I will receive the certificate around the beginnings of January, 2016, which is also within the last 30 days before my current Post Graduate Work Permit expires.

With this concern in mind, I contacted CIC and spoke on the phone with an agent who explained to me the risks that involves sending the application within the last 30 days before my current status expires, such as not having enough time to send additional documents in case
they were needed by the offices of citizenship and immigration.

Following the suggestion of two agents, I’ve attached a copy of my Record of Solemnization to serve as a temporary substitute for the Marriage certificate, alongside with this letter explaining my current situation while promising that I would send the Copy of the Marriage certificate to CIC once I had the original document at hand.

My only problem is that I am terrified about not knowing if I made the right choice with this matter. I know that I was recommended to do this by two different agents, but I am worried that the application´s process won´t go as smoothly because of this choice.

Please, if you have or even know someone that has done the same thing or even gone through a similar situation, then I would appreciate if you could share this experience with with me so that I can calm myself. I just need to know if this choice won´t affect my application´s process. I know this seems like a useless post, but I am so anxious that I am having trouble sleeping and thinking straight.

Thank you ceru much for your time. Take care!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your situation is so unique that I doubt anyone else has been through it or will have any advice to provide based on first-hand experience.

On the off chance you got married in Ontario, you should know it doesn't always take 12 weeks to get the certificate (even though they tell you it will). I applied immediately after I got married and had mine in 2.5 weeks.

elcholoboritos

Sep 20, 2015
Thanks for your answer scylia!

I wish I could have know that it doesn't take as long to receive the marriage certificate! It would have saved me a lot of trouble. But I at least got a message that it is one the way already!

I hope someone appears that can at least tell me if my chances of having the extension approved are too low now.