+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UNDUE DELAY IN IRCC RESPONSE FOR PR CARD RENEWAL

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
U have remarked that practically there are no pickups during covid. However, IRCC told me on my calls that my case is earmarked for a physical pickup at its Hamlton Office. If so, how does that jell with your valuable judgment that no pickups happen nowadays ? Is it possible that IRCC may change its decision and deliver the card to my specified address ?
I know as much as you do, which is not that much - they do not seem to have decided how to proceed with those 'stuck' at the pick-up stage. In some cases (like yours), supposedy decided to send them - but not to have actually done so. So at the moment, suspended in time and unclear when/what they will decide to do.

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Quite some time ago you posted saying you were planning to apply for PRTD. Did you ever actually do so?

Is your spouse still in Canada?
Dear Armoured,
Thanks a lot and good that you raised these 2 points:

My wife is in Canada now.

I have not applied for PRTD for certain reasons. People tell me that there is a risk that my PR status may be revoked if I apply now. On the other hand, if I receive the email for pickup (that IRCC said that it will send; Even confimed this on the call yeaterday with IRCC), my basis for applying for PRTD will stand on a better footing, I feel. What do you think ??

One more thing please:

IMM 5476 Form enables one to authorise another person to act on his behalf. ICan fill this and upload even now thru webform authorsing my wife. But the key question is - Can the authorised rep pick up the PR card on behalf of the applicant ? This does not seem to be clear anywhere ? Would be thankful for your valuable views....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IMM 5476 Form enables one to authorise another person to act on his behalf. ICan fill this and upload even now thru webform authorsing my wife. But the key question is - Can the authorised rep pick up the PR card on behalf of the applicant ? This does not seem to be clear anywhere ? Would be thankful for your valuable views....
The answer to this question is no. The PR card holder must be the one to pick up the PR card. No representatives allowed.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife is in Canada now.

I have not applied for PRTD for certain reasons. People tell me that there is a risk that my PR status may be revoked if I apply now. On the other hand, if I receive the email for pickup (that IRCC said that it will send; Even confimed this on the call yeaterday with IRCC), my basis for applying for PRTD will stand on a better footing, I feel. What do you think ??
It is a good point about PRTD potentially being revoked and I do not know.

Honestly, though, if your intent is to return to reside in Canada, and given how long this is going on... well, in your situation I would consider just applying for the PRTD - knowing that if it was denied and PR status revoked, I could immediately start sponsorship anew with spouse. (Or just renouncing PR status and doing same)

Please do NOT take that as advice, however. Just something to consider. Again, one key point here is if the intent is actually to return to Canada to reside when the sponsorship is finalized.

As previously noted here by many, you perhaps need proper advice (i.e. legal counsel).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes, there is indeed a very real risk that your "PR status may be revoked" if you apply for a PR Travel Document now. That is, that the application for a PR TD will be denied, and an appeal will be unsuccessful.

But an email from IRCC saying that YOU can pick-up the PR card will NOT improve your chances of being issued a PR TD.

In contrast, every day that passes hurts whatever chance you might have that IRCC will issue a PR TD.

There is actually a significant probability that arranging for you to pick-up a new PR card DEPENDS on either:
-- a favourable decision in response to a PR Travel Document application, or​
-- how it goes during a Port-of-Entry examination if somehow you are able to travel to Canada without a PR TD (that is, via the U.S.)​

And sorry, it very much appears that the odds are NOT GOOD that a PR TD will be granted (and again, those odds get worse as the days pass); and the odds are that if you could obtain a U.S. visa and travel via the U.S., so as to physically get to Canada without a PR TD, you will be issued a 44(1) Report and a DEPARTURE ORDER on your arrival.

All this has been said many times in response to your posts.

Your posts indicate you have not been IN Canada for more than five years. Unless you have an especially strong H&C case, NOW, as of today, odds are you will lose PR status and need to start over.

ONLY a QUALIFIED IMMIGRATION LAWYER, in CANADA, can provide you with any better, more reliable information about the prospect of saving your current status, and how.

That said, given that it has been over five years since you were last even present in Canada, if you hope to come to Canada to live the odds are you will need to be sponsored for PR by your spouse. You will need to lose your current PR status to do that.

If you are ready to come to Canada soon (within the next six months to a year), it will NOT hurt to apply for a PR TD, make your best H&C case, and see how it goes. If the PR TD is granted, you will then be good to go, that is, good to come to Canada to stay. But, frankly, the odds of that are NOT good. If the PR TD is denied, you could appeal, but if your spouse in Canada is qualified to sponsor you for a new PR visa, that will probably be your best option, and perhaps that is your only realistic option.

And this too has been explained before.

Waiting to see what happens with the PR card application is not likely to resolve your situation. Not at all likely. Of course you can wait and see. Or, you can obtain the opinion, advice, and assistance of a qualified immigration lawyer IN Canada to help you decide what to do going forward.

. . . if your intent is to return to reside in Canada, and given how long this is going on... well, in your situation I would consider just applying for the PRTD - knowing that if it was denied and PR status revoked, I could immediately start sponsorship anew with spouse. (Or just renouncing PR status and doing same)
However this is framed, as a suggestion, opinion, advice, or whatever, that's pretty well the situation. That pretty well states what the options are. Waiting is not going to improve the odds of being granted a PR TD. @chella99 is not likely to get back to Canada without applying for and being granted a PR TD. To pursue the possibility there is a chance otherwise, best to consult with a competent immigration lawyer.

It warrants noting that @chella99 initially reported that an in-person pick-up of the PR card was required back in late 2020.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That said, given that it has been over five years since you were last even present in Canada, if you hope to come to Canada to live the odds are you will need to be sponsored for PR by your spouse. You will need to lose your current PR status to do that.

If you are ready to come to Canada soon (within the next six months to a year), it will NOT hurt to apply for a PR TD, make your best H&C case, and see how it goes. If the PR TD is granted, you will then be good to go, that is, good to come to Canada to stay.
However this is framed, as a suggestion, opinion, advice, or whatever, that's pretty well the situation. That pretty well states what the options are.
My reluctance here is not so much about the case-as-stated, but about whether the facts sufficiently correspond to what's been stated (is there anything material we're missing) and what the 'actual' motives or goals are.

I don't mean this in any accusatory way - it's his own business (and his family's). Just that if there's something missing - such as preference for a PR card for reasons not made explicit - advice may be missing the point.

I could speculate as to reasons but the one that jumps out is - does the applicant really / want intend to move to Canada in near term? After more than five years out, with a lot of waiting, it's not really clear.

Anyway, whether there is some other missing info or not, it feels like there is - otherwise the repeat queries don't make a lot of sense to me, as the factual basis doesn't seem to have changed all that much and the repeat questions aren't really getting different answers. And also, potential options exist (not the case for many) given marriage to a Canadian.

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
It has been over 4 months since I last wrote on this forum. My case history is well stated earleir.

I have not still heard anything at all, although whenever I call IRCC, they keep repeating the same like a parrot the following:
'Your card is ready to be printed at Hamilton office and you will receive an email on what to do next'

I just don't know what to do and would be very thankful for any new or innovative ideas please.

Thank you...

Chellamani

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Dear All,

At last, after expiry of 3 years and 2 months, I have received a letter from IRCC asking me to come for an interview and card pick-up at its Etobicoke Office on August 3, 2022.

However, I am out of the country and just a day before receipt of this letter, I have applied for the PRTD. Given the extremely short time, I am not sure whether I will get the PRTD to be able to travel for the scheduled interview. If not possible, I have asked them to reschedule in such a way to be in tandem with the receipt of PRTD. I have informed this development and attached all necessary dcouments to IRCC throuhg webform as well as to the visa processing office at Abu Dhabi at the United Arab Emirates.

Would appreciate views on the following:

1. Will Abu Dhabi Center process my PRTD on a priority basis, due to the scheduled interview ?
2. Failing whihc, will IRCC give me another date ?
3. What sort of ques will be posed at the interview at Etobicoke Office ?
4. What challenges may I face ?

Would be very thankful for quick detailed response.
Thanks and regards,
Chellamani

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just want to mention that this is an `interview' and that no matter what the language is in the letter, your PR card renewal may NOT have been approved. Based on the information that you've shared in the thread, I would be surprised if it is a positive decision, but...that's just an opinion.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

At last, after expiry of 3 years and 2 months, I have received a letter from IRCC asking me to come for an interview and card pick-up at its Etobicoke Office on August 3, 2022.

However, I am out of the country and just a day before receipt of this letter, I have applied for the PRTD. Given the extremely short time, I am not sure whether I will get the PRTD to be able to travel for the scheduled interview. If not possible, I have asked them to reschedule in such a way to be in tandem with the receipt of PRTD. I have informed this development and attached all necessary dcouments to IRCC throuhg webform as well as to the visa processing office at Abu Dhabi at the United Arab Emirates.

Would appreciate views on the following:

1. Will Abu Dhabi Center process my PRTD on a priority basis, due to the scheduled interview ?
2. Failing whihc, will IRCC give me another date ?
3. What sort of ques will be posed at the interview at Etobicoke Office ?
4. What challenges may I face ?

Would be very thankful for quick detailed response.
Thanks and regards,
Chellamani
Do you have a valid US visa? Can you fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border?

IMO you are at high risk for the PRTD being refused.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Dear All,

However, I am out of the country and just a day before receipt of this letter, I have applied for the PRTD. Given the extremely short time, I am not sure whether I will get the PRTD to be able to travel for the scheduled interview
No-one honestly knows much more than what's been written in this thread several times: applying for the PRTD was likely the only way to actually resolve this, and it will probably be refused. But maybe not.

But after briefly re-acquainting myself with this thread and the parts of the story you've shared, the biggest gap in all of this is what you actually want.

I can only make sense of your approach this way: I gather that you do not actually wish to reside in Canada, but want to have a PR card. Maybe you wish to visit from time to time - although evidently not much if you've basically been fine with not visiting for 3 years or so.

And of course, you can want what you want, but the PR card and PR status is basically not designed for what you seem to want, and that's the root of the problem.

You may be able to get something akin to that by renouncing/having your PR status revoked and then just re-applying under spousal sponsorship, but eventually the problem will likely occur again.

And I'd still suggest a lawyer, because it's possible there is a better way to achieve what you want than what you're doing. And with a lawyer you could be frank and just explain it.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
Forgive me for writing here.Probably remember me. :)
Soon it will be 3 years as my daughter in Canada. and did not leave at all. Status -"in process" from August 2019 .
Application for renewal of Prcard from August 2019.(The 720 day rule was violated) The application has been forwarded to the local office.
In September, the daughter can already apply for Citizenship. -and the application for renewal of the Prcard has not yet been considered.
In my opinion, this is simply ABSURD!

The daughter wants to visit us and return to Canada for the start of the school year. She is a teacher.
Her application contains
1.letter of support from the school.
2..letter of support from a Member of Parliament..

3. Response to MP from IRCC ( in February)
Background of Inquiry:
• Applicant is a PR holder and is currently teaching at ..........
• Has applied for a renewal of her PR Card, and has been waiting for 2.5 years for response.
Resolution of Inquiry:
• Application has been received as is being processed in Vancouver.
• Officer is currently reviewing last submissions made by the applicant on February 24th, 2022.
• No further updates at this time, applicant can continue to operate as a PR holder within Canada until new decision is made.

Question.
What are the chances that my daughter will be able to get PRTD without any problems with these documents.??
Let me remind you that it will soon be 3 years since she did not leave Canada at all.
Of course, there is all other evidence of permanent residence (car.. work contract for the next year.. payments and insurance.. bank account and so on...

Last edited: