+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undocumented resident in USA go to Canada

yffang

May 11, 2023
Hi, I'm a undocumented in US got accepted by Canadian university for Computer Science master programs, and I want go to Canada via study permit. I was brought to America via F1 from China when I was 13 years old, now I'm 26. I attended middle school, high school, college in US and never left US. My parents are still in China, and they have business, houses, properties there. We still contact very often.

I'm trying to apply for study permit on my own right now, there is a part that wants optional document "Client information", I know people put statement of purpose for that, but for my situation, what additional documents should I put? Should I mention I'm undocumented in US in my "client information". I have no criminal record, denial of visa, or ordered to leave country, will they ask me to provide that documents?

For financial proof, my parents and my uncle will support me for the study, is a letter from them stating supporting me sufficient enough?

For passport part, I have a current passport with no visa stamps and a expired passport with one visa stamp from 13 years ago. Should I include all passport and visa stamps page?

In the end, Can a undocumented resident in US go to Canada via study permit? what is the chance of getting rejected

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I'm a undocumented in US got accepted by Canadian university for Computer Science master programs, and I want go to Canada via study permit. I was brought to America via F1 from China when I was 13 years old, now I'm 26. I attended middle school, high school, college in US and never left US. My parents are still in China, and they have business, houses, properties there. We still contact very often.

I'm trying to apply for study permit on my own right now, there is a part that wants optional document "Client information", I know people put statement of purpose for that, but for my situation, what additional documents should I put? Should I mention I'm undocumented in US in my "client information". I have no criminal record, denial of visa, or ordered to leave country, will they ask me to provide that documents?

For financial proof, my parents and my uncle will support me for the study, is a letter from them stating supporting me sufficient enough?

For passport part, I have a current passport with no visa stamps and a expired passport with one visa stamp from 13 years ago. Should I include all passport and visa stamps page?

In the end, Can a undocumented resident in US go to Canada via study permit? what is the chance of getting rejected
The chances are almost zero if not zero that the study permit will be approved since you have no status in the US. I'm sorry for this bad news but that's the honest answer. You can certainly try. But please be prepared that this will almost certainly not work out for you.

To be approved for a study permit, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country (which you cannot do) and there are also questions you must answer truthfully regarding your status in the US. And yes, you would need to indicate you are undocumented in the US. Failing to do so will not only result in refusal but also a 5 year ban from Canada for misrepresentation. Note that Canada and the US share immigration information.

For financial proof, letters are not enough. You must provide bank statements.

Note that if you ever leave the US, you will be automatically banned from re-entering for 10 years due to your overstay. Please keep this in mind when making any plans to leave.

Sorry. You're in a super tough situation.

yffang

May 11, 2023
The chances are almost zero if not zero that the study permit will be approved since you have no status in the US. I'm sorry for this bad news but that's the honest answer. You can certainly try. But please be prepared that this will almost certainly not work out for you.

To be approved for a study permit, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country (which you cannot do) and there are also questions you must answer truthfully regarding your status in the US. And yes, you would need to indicate you are undocumented in the US. Failing to do so will not only result in refusal but also a 5 year ban from Canada for misrepresentation. Note that Canada and the US share immigration information.

For financial proof, letters are not enough. You must provide bank statements.

Note that if you ever leave the US, you will be automatically banned from re-entering for 10 years due to your overstay. Please keep this in mind when making any plans to leave.

Sorry. You're in a super tough situation.
but I have searched and seen online people with similar situations successfully go to Canada, and they don't have to go back to their home country to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but I have searched and seen online people with similar situations successfully go to Canada, and they don't have to go back to their home country to apply.
You can certainly apply. I think you really have your work cut out for you to be approved.

If you see people posting online who have been successful, maybe ask them how they did it and what evidence they provided in their application. I'm not aware of these cases.

Make sure you are honest about your status in the US. Do not misrepresent this information.

Make sure you also include the bank statements for the people sponsoring you. It would be better if this was your parents only and not your aunt / uncle. IRCC prefers immediate family members in these situations.

And please keep in mind the USA overstay ban. You won't be able to return for a decade once you leave.

Good luck.

yffang

May 11, 2023
You can certainly apply. I think you really have your work cut out for you to be approved.

If you see people posting online who have been successful, maybe ask them how they did it and what evidence they provided in their application. I'm not aware of these cases.

Make sure you are honest about your status in the US. Do not misrepresent this information.

Make sure you also include the bank statements for the people sponsoring you. It would be better if this was your parents only and not your aunt / uncle. IRCC prefers immediate family members in these situations.

And please keep in mind the USA overstay ban. You won't be able to return for a decade once you leave.

Good luck.
To add one more thing. When I stayed in America, my uncle tried to adopt me to legalize me. I got an US birth certificate from that process, But Somehow I was not able to naturalize and get a US citizenship in US, due to some conflict with Chinese law. Should I mention that in my application? Can I use my US birth certificate to prove my legal status in US though?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To add one more thing. When I stayed in America, my uncle tried to adopt me to legalize me. I got an US birth certificate from that process, But Somehow I was not able to naturalize and get a US citizenship in US, due to some conflict with Chinese law. Should I mention that in my application? Can I use my US birth certificate to prove my legal status in US though?
You need to sort this out with a US immigration lawyer. You can't have a US birth certificate if you weren't born in the US. What you received must be something else. Maybe this: https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/birth/

I would very strongly recommend that you meet with a US immigration lawyer to understand your status in the US before submitting any application to Canada. This is extremely important to sort out first.

yffang

May 11, 2023
It's called court order delayed registration of birth, it is definitely not fake though since I got it directly from the court.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's called court order delayed registration of birth, it is definitely not fake though since I got it directly from the court.
You need to get a consult with a US immigration lawyer so that you understand your status in the US and can answer these questions correctly when you apply for the Canadian study visa.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did you obtain a U.S. birth certificate, considering you were not born in the U.S.?

Not sure that will help you and may be a huge red flag with IRCC, IMHO.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

When I applied from US and not US citizen, they refused me first time for not providing proof of legal status in US. US based applications are processed by officers there so they are likely aware of all of the various visas, resident statuses, etc.

yffang

May 11, 2023
When I applied from US and not US citizen, they refused me first time for not providing proof of legal status in US. US based applications are processed by officers there so they are likely aware of all of the various visas, resident statuses, etc.
were you undocumented? How long have you been in US? what did you after that?
I dont understand why legal status in America matters. Is it relating to proving ties with home country?
I think I have a lot of ties to my home countries. My family are still in China, My family have business, stores, 3 houses, and my parents gonna provide support for me to study in Canada. Can't I just provide those documents and say I'm able to inherit it, I will go back to China after study in Canada?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
were you undocumented? How long have you been in US? what did you after that?
I dont understand why legal status in America matters. Is it relating to proving ties with home country?
I think I have a lot of ties to my home countries. My family are still in China, My family have business, stores, 3 houses, and my parents gonna provide support for me to study in Canada. Can't I just provide those documents and say I'm able to inherit it, I will go back to China after study in Canada?
No, I was on F1 and then OPT-EAD. I guess, why they're concerned is that if you were willing to live out of status in the US then you would do the same in Canada