+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV refused - best way to clarify CIC's reasoning?

santi693

Nov 27, 2013
Hi!
My wife applied for a multiple-entry TRV at the Guatemala Office.
An hour ago, we found out that it was denied due to "family ties in home country vs Canada".
We got married in April 2013. We have submitted a sponsorship application in July 2013; I was approved to sponsor my wife in August 2013.

What is the best way to find out more about the reasoning behind CIC's decision?
Also, is there an official policy that no wife is to visit Canada while the paperwork is in progress?
While we were dating, she was also denied a visa because CIC thought she would remain in Canada.

The reasons provided by CIC for refusal do not seem "reasonable", they sound more like excuses.

Are citizens of specific countries simply denied entry into Canada as tourists?
I'm starting to believe so.
Is there a quota for tourists of specific countries? ie: after 200 TRVs for citizens of Costa Rica are approved; deny all subsequent visas until next fiscal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no quota.

CIC is saying that your wife's ties to Canada (you) are stronger than her ties to her home country. You have also filed to sponsor her which demonstrates that she has plans to remain in Canada long term. Tourist visas are meant for people who only plan to visit temporarily and have no plans on remaining long term. So the challenge always faced by those with Canadian spouses is how to prove this.

Unfortunately your wife is paying the price of past visa abuses. In other words, too many people abused their visitor priviledges from her country in the past and overstayed their allowed visit in Canada - consequently it's now difficult for individuals such as your wife to be approved.

Is there any strong evidence you failed to submit as part of her application? Perhaps property owned in Costa Rica? A buisiness she owns?

santi693

Nov 27, 2013
scylla said:
There is no quota.

CIC is saying that your wife's ties to Canada (you) are stronger than her ties to her home country. You have also filed to sponsor her which demonstrates that she has plans to remain in Canada long term. Tourist visas are meant for people who only plan to visit temporarily and have no plans on remaining long term. So the challenge always faced by those with Canadian spouses is how to prove this.

Unfortunately your wife is paying the price of past visa abuses. In other words, too many people abused their visitor priviledges from her country in the past and overstayed their allowed visit in Canada - consequently it's now difficult for individuals such as your wife to be approved.

Is there any strong evidence you failed to submit as part of her application? Perhaps property owned in Costa Rica? A buisiness she owns?
Hi Scylla :D

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your objective opinion.

While I'm not sure marriage is stronger than blood-ties, the reasoning behind CIC's decision seems quite weak nonetheless.
Over the last 3 years, a few close friends, who are married, have a job, live in Nicaragua, own a house in Nicaragua, have kids... applied for a single-entry TRV and were denied.
Please note: in each case, only my friend was to visit, not the whole family.

Tourist visas are intended for tourist. I agree.
But what other choice is there?
It was clearly indicated in our letter that it was in a temporary nature. She is a lawyer and has to work in Nicaragua until her PR is processed; that's why a multiple-entry TRV was requested.
What's the point of a letter of invitation?
Would someone who knows no one in Canada have a better chance of getting a tourist visa?

In my wife's case, I strongly believe that she could own half of Nicaragua, and not be let in for some bogus reason. The Visa Officer has to follow CIC's policy.

As per your own opinion, it would appear that they analyzed her application as a "whole" with others from the same country - hence it wasn't just based on her application.
This is why I believe there is a "closed-door" policy for citizens of specific countries.