+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Red flags in PR application may very well be reasons of trv refusals.
@Sir123 , what is your PR timeline? Any weak points like second and/or recent marriage? Any concerns for your SA?
@HARPREETK16 , same for you. I see you applied right after AOR before getting SA or waiting for other steps. I believe that in one of your posts you said that you have already sponsored someone but divorced. This might be a concern for IRCC that will trigger more scrutiny. So applying right after AOR might have contributed for your refusals. This is just my opinion.

I would not recommend to apply right after AOR especially if you have anything that might potentially require more analysis on the part of IRCC. If you have a strong PR case like 10 years of marriage, super strong ties to home country, 3 kids etc... then probably it`s not a problem. Again, this is just IMO.
Good work Ercan. Very few take the time to research before writing a relevant response. This goes to show how some of us are sincere in providing us factual info and providing us full context, without creating any hype nor starting the rumor mills. Great work again!

Reactions: Kaibigan

HARPREETK16

Star Member
Aug 15, 2023
Red flags in PR application may very well be reasons of trv refusals.
@Sir123 , what is your PR timeline? Any weak points like second and/or recent marriage? Any concerns for your SA?
@HARPREETK16 , same for you. I see you applied right after AOR before getting SA or waiting for other steps. I believe that in one of your posts you said that you have already sponsored someone but divorced. This might be a concern for IRCC that will trigger more scrutiny. So applying right after AOR might have contributed for your refusals. This is just my opinion.

I would not recommend to apply right after AOR especially if you have anything that might potentially require more analysis on the part of IRCC. If you have a strong PR case like 10 years of marriage, super strong ties to home country, 3 kids etc... then probably it`s not a problem. Again, this is just IMO.
I understand these things but need to understand policy announced by Immigration minister. First thing he said if your spousal sponsorship under processing you can apply visitor visa . Then you can get work permit here so home ties are not required as per MR. Freaser. Also they are not working on applications in 30days .

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
I understand these things but need to understand policy announced by Immigration minister. First thing he said if your spousal sponsorship under processing you can apply visitor visa . Then you can get work permit here so home ties are not required as per MR. Freaser. Also they are not working on applications in 30days .
First thing - Fraser is gone! He is no more handling portfolio of IRCC, he is in housing now. There is another guy.
And right when the other guy came in - we started getting messages of refusal on this forum. You can look it up - and match the dates.

Secondly, to be fair to Fraser and IRCC, the policy was never 100% clearly shared on the CIC website with each single details and clauses. It did not even clearly spell out the requirement of AOR. But it said in vague words - that the applications must be in process and perhaps crossed certain milestones. Some keen observers like @armoured @Kaibigan @ERCAN and others noticed it at that point, and we started discussing what will happen next. And we knew that there is a lot of 'FINE TUNING' coming in this policy.....but I did not expect a halt and suspension of the policy - as the situation currently seems.

HARPREETK16

Star Member
Aug 15, 2023
First thing - Fraser is gone! He is no more handling portfolio of IRCC, he is in housing now. There is another guy.
And right when the other guy came in - we started getting messages of refusal on this forum. You can look it up - and match the dates.

Secondly, to be fair to Fraser and IRCC, the policy was never 100% clearly shared on the CIC website with each single details and clauses. It did not even clearly spell out the requirement of AOR. But it said in vague words - that the applications must be in process and perhaps crossed certain milestones. Some keen observers like @armoured @Kaibigan @ERCAN and others noticed it at that point, and we started discussing what will happen next. And we knew that there is a lot of 'FINE TUNING' coming in this policy.....but I did not expect a halt and suspension of the policy - as the situation currently seems.
Yes that's true . After Fraser gone , refusal rate is increased. That's what i was just trying to say . There is no criteria which application will be successful or which will be rejected.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I never said that you can`t apply, I just explain why you might have been refused. Main point is that Fraser did say that there is a relation between the likelihood of success of a PR application in question and the related TRV approval.

I dissected his speech word by word + Q&A with reporters. My thoughts are here if you are interested.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/november-2022-spousal-sponsorship-outland-online.781369/page-21#post-10491194

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes that's true . After Fraser gone , refusal rate is increased. That's what i was just trying to say .
I think we will not know very well for several months yet to come. Because what we are seeing are the results (mostly) from those who applied shortly after the policy was announced. In the longer term, we'll see rejection / refusal rates stablize.

For those who applied right after the policy was announced, what we'd expect to see is the following (just from pure common sense):
-An initial wave of 'easy' cases that get processed and approved relatively quickly;
-a subsequent wave of 'hard' cases that take longer (even quite a bit longer) to consider - and because more of these are harder cases, most likely, these ones would have a higher number of refusals.

Oh, and:
-Prior to the policy, it was well known that TRVs were often refused, and many applicants likely delayed (sometimes applying closer to the time period when their PR eventually got approved) or did not apply at all. Those who were dissuaded from applying before - logically - would likely also include a higher number of likely refusals (applicants often have a pretty good idea and/or have specific things like prior refusals or refusals from countries with which Canada info-shares). And with the announcement of such a policy, it seems pretty obvious that the 95% figure (or whatever it was) would encourage many to apply. In other words, a wave of more-difficult applications.

Any of this sound familiar? To me, it sounds like exactly what happened.

Longer-term: remember that a fair number of applicants got approved prior to this policy; there were likely proportionally fewer of these in that post-announcement 'wave.' So yep - we're seeing higher refusals now (proportionally) than one should expect to see in the longer term (once things settle down).

There is no criteria which application will be successful or which will be rejected.
This is true and a valid criticism.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I think we will not know very well for several months yet to come. Because what we are seeing are the results (mostly) from those who applied shortly after the policy was announced. In the longer term, we'll see rejection / refusal rates stablize.

For those who applied right after the policy was announced, what we'd expect to see is the following (just from pure common sense):
-An initial wave of 'easy' cases that get processed and approved relatively quickly;
-a subsequent wave of 'hard' cases that take longer (even quite a bit longer) to consider - and because more of these are harder cases, most likely, these ones would have a higher number of refusals.

Oh, and:
-Prior to the policy, it was well known that TRVs were often refused, and many applicants likely delayed (sometimes applying closer to the time period when their PR eventually got approved) or did not apply at all. Those who were dissuaded from applying before - logically - would likely also include a higher number of likely refusals (applicants often have a pretty good idea and/or have specific things like prior refusals or refusals from countries with which Canada info-shares). And with the announcement of such a policy, it seems pretty obvious that the 95% figure (or whatever it was) would encourage many to apply. In other words, a wave of more-difficult applications.

Any of this sound familiar? To me, it sounds like exactly what happened.

Longer-term: remember that a fair number of applicants got approved prior to this policy; there were likely proportionally fewer of these in that post-announcement 'wave.' So yep - we're seeing higher refusals now (proportionally) than one should expect to see in the longer term (once things settle down).

This is true and a valid criticism.
I find the explanation of the uneven distribution of approvals/refusals in recent months very pertinent. However, I disagree with the notion that there are no established criteria. It's unlikely that decisions are made arbitrarily. We lack insight into these criteria, and without complete information on applicants' profiles, we cannot reliably infer these rules.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I find the explanation of the uneven distribution of approvals/refusals in recent months very pertinent. However, I disagree with the notion that there are no established criteria. It's unlikely that decisions are made arbitrarily. We lack insight into these criteria, and without complete information on applicants' profiles, we cannot reliably infer these rules.
I for one meant to say - should have said - clear public criteria. As one of my other posts, I think one type of criteria is likely pretty obvious - longer-term relationships vs shorter-term (and from countries with high levels of potential immigration fraud), esp arranged marriages.

But that's only a guess and as you say, no way to reliably infer.

Reactions: Kaibigan and ERCAN

Raijan

Jul 5, 2022
My wife got here on a visitor visa right after the Minister's announcement and she applied for a OWP. Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved? From what I read online, those OWP applications were supposed to get expedited like the visitors visas.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
My wife got here on a visitor visa right after the Minister's announcement and she applied for a OWP. Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved? From what I read online, those OWP applications were supposed to get expedited like the visitors visas.
Count your blessings. Your wife is here. That's what counts (or should).

Cryingfor help

Aug 30, 2023
Hey Raijan,
Congratulations on getting a TRV for your wife. Just a quick question: at what point in the spousal sponsorship where you when the TRV was approved?

yasoso

Sep 18, 2023
I am a Canadian citizen living in Turkey and we've applied for a spousal sponsorship for my husband at the end of August. We are planning on applying for a TRV after his AOR arrives. I won't have an adress in Canada yet by the time we apply for my husbands TRV, can I still write an invitation letter for him from Turkey? Or does it need to be written by someone who already resides in Canada?
Thank you all for your help!

vs35

Jul 25, 2022
I think my wife’s TRV might be getting approved.

They updated her documents section with a visa number and expiry date.

not sure when they’ll provide an approval or rejection letter though.

Hoping for the best…

Reactions: Sddiin

Sddiin

Sep 11, 2023
I think my wife’s TRV might be getting approved.

They updated her documents section with a visa number and expiry date.

not sure when they’ll provide an approval or rejection letter though.

Hoping for the best…
I guess mine will be rejected...my wife got a ghost update today but nothing has changed in her document section. Congrats !!

vs35

Jul 25, 2022
I guess mine will be rejected...my wife got a ghost update today but nothing has changed in her document section. Congrats !!
Don’t lose hope, I had a ghost update before as well. Actually one week before I got the ghost update.

Then it moved forward only today.

Reactions: Sddiin