+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to India immediately after getting Canadian citizenship

Mikeykoms

Aug 29, 2019
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Montreal with Canadian PR. I applied for Canadian citizenship earlier this year & i received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on November 4th 2019
I have to travel to India on November 15 th (I will be travelling 5 weeks ), i have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, i need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

Does that mean i can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

Whats the definition of 3 months grace period? I mean should I be back to Canada with in 3 months? is that be considered with in grace period?
i already asked Consulate Genera India but didn't get any clear answer,l.

Does anyone face this issue? Can i travel using both Canadian & Indian passport? Whats going to happen at airport when using both passports?
I have an option to reschedule my Canadian ceremony date but little hesitant of doing that.

Thanks in advance for your help....

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Montreal with Canadian PR. I applied for Canadian citizenship earlier this year & i received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on November 4th 2019
I have to travel to India on November 15 th (I will be travelling 5 weeks ), i have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, i need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

Does that mean i can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

Whats the definition of 3 months grace period? I mean should I be back to Canada with in 3 months? is that be considered with in grace period?
i already asked Consulate Genera India but didn't get any clear answer.

Does anyone face this issue? Can i travel using both Canadian & Indian passport? Whats going to happen at airport when using both passports?
I have an option to reschedule my Canadian ceremony date but little hesitant of doing that.

Thanks in advance for your help....

You're better off applying for an urgent Canadian Passport and then applying for an Indian e-visa.
If you have enough time in India, perhaps you can renounce your citizenship + apply for OCI there, or just do that when you come back.

Best to avoid travelling on your Indian passport if you feel the instructions aren't clear enough.

Mikeykoms

Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for the response guys. I can get the Canadian passport within 24 hours however I’m not sure if indian visa ( E-Visas or in person )can be applied before surrendering the India passport or citizenship. Anyone knows ?

Thanks