+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling after visa refusal

marip7

Sep 1, 2017
I was recently refused a new visitors visa due to their belief that I might remain in Canada for longer than permitted. My old visitors visa is still valid until December this year. Can I still travel on this if I have a return flight prior to the expiration date?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was recently refused a new visitors visa due to their belief that I might remain in Canada for longer than permitted. My old visitors visa is still valid until December this year. Can I still travel on this if I have a return flight prior to the expiration date?
You were probably refused because you applied several months in advance before the expiry of your current TRV.

You may want to email the visa office and confirm that your current TRV was not cancelled when you applied for a new TRV before you make any travel plans

marip7

Sep 1, 2017
You were probably refused because you applied several months in advance before the expiry of your current TRV.

You may want to email the visa office and confirm that your current TRV was not cancelled when you applied for a new TRV before you make any travel plans
Unfortunately the visa office I applied at does not take calls and may take too long to respond by email.

Is it common procedure to cancel current TRVs if denied for a new one? The letter I received did not mention anything about the current TRV.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unfortunately the visa office I applied at does not take calls and may take too long to respond by email.

Is it common procedure to cancel current TRVs if denied for a new one? The letter I received did not mention anything about the current TRV.
Visa offices don't take calls. They usually respond to emails within a week.

Yes, it is possible that your current TRV could have been cancelled. Or maybe it was not. Only the visa office would be able to tell you

marip7

Sep 1, 2017
I also have a passport for a visa exempt country
Visa offices don't take calls. They usually respond to emails within a week.

Yes, it is possible that your current TRV could have been cancelled. Or maybe it was not. Only the visa office would be able to tell you
I emailed them and the automated response email said that they would reply within "a few weeks". I had planned to travel for Sept 10th, which now looks like I might have to change my plans.

I can also travel on another passport which I have never used. It is from a visa-exempt country and I would need to apply for an ETA. Should I attempt to travel on that? or would the fact that I was denied a visa under a different passport affect my application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for an ETA but will need to declare the refusal. The refusal may very well impact the ETA. However you can certainly try applying and see what happens.

Reactions: Bryanna

newtoforum2

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
My dad applied for eTA couple days ago. Within couple hours we received an email saying he misrepresented on his eTA application. He misunderstood this question "have you ever been refused a visa to canada or any other county?" He picked No instead of 'yes'. He assumed that question is asking "if he got any visa refusal since he got his new citizenship (Italy)?" . Yes, he got visa refusal for canada's tourist visa when he was Indian citizen. In his life time he never had any visa refusal or entry denial or deportation orders from canada or any other country.

In the letter/reply, CIC said that you have misrepresented yourself because you applied for visitor visa back in 2013. They gave 10 days to present his case for his misrepresentation.

What he should do now? Of course, he has to write a letter of explanation. What exactly we should be writing? Are there any chances of success or he will be banned in next reply/letter from CIC?

The reason all this happened because he applied for US visa first just couple mintues before filling out the canadian eTA application. In that application form they had clearly mentioned 'any visa refusal on this passport or previous passport'. He assumed Canada's form doesnt say anything like that so he assumed he has to answer just for new passport.

Someone please help. I look at so many forums and postings as well as on CIC website but I have not found anything helpful. Only statements I am coming across are 5 years ban, which is scaring the shit out of me.

newtoforum2

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
You can apply for an ETA but will need to declare the refusal. The refusal may very well impact the ETA. However you can certainly try applying and see what happens.
Hi Scylla

Do you have any idea about my above list situation? I will really appreciate if you could help me.
Thankyou in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla

Do you have any idea about my above list situation? I will really appreciate if you could help me.
Thankyou in advance
He's most likely going to be banned from Canada for five years for the misrepresentation. I would try sending a letter to explain that he misunderstood the question. Might work - might not.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's most likely going to be banned from Canada for five years for the misrepresentation. I would try sending a letter to explain that he misunderstood the question. Might work - might not.
Agreed.

Unfortunately, he's most probably likely to be given a 5-years ban for misrepresentation. It's difficult to prove that someone misunderstood the question about 'visa refusals'

Hope the explanation letter works

newtoforum2

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Thank you so much scylla for the quick reply. I just hope everything goes well now. We just sent them the letter.

Last edited:

newtoforum2

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Agreed.

Unfortunately, he's most probably likely to be given a 5-years ban for misrepresentation. It's difficult to prove that someone misunderstood the question about 'visa refusals'

Hope the explanation letter works
Yeah, we are also hoping for the best. 5-years ban - thats what I am scared of. Now, I regret so much that why the hell I didnt help him fill out his application. I just told him oh its very easy and straight forward you just have to enter basic information as I have heard from people. And it will take just couple hours to process.

newtoforum2

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Be patient......people have lives outside the forum......posting every 3 minutes is unnecessary.
Hey Buletruck

My intention was not to bother anyone. After posting my first post, I realized i forget to tag an expert individual in this thread whom I can ask directly. I didn't know how to do it in original post. In my second post, I just quoted scylla's last post. I am very well aware, everyone has have life outside the forum.

Thankyou