+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel exempted

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Hello,

Has anyone had luck with getting exempted and having their TRV applications approved? I'm a permanent resident and invited my parents for a visitor visa back in Feb 2020, and they completed the biometrics but nothing happened after that. I sent an email to IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with all required info and got an automated reply but nothing happened after that and it's been 5 days. Is it supposed to take time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Has anyone had luck with getting exempted and having their TRV applications approved? I'm a permanent resident and invited my parents for a visitor visa back in Feb 2020, and they completed the biometrics but nothing happened after that. I sent an email to IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with all required info and got an automated reply but nothing happened after that and it's been 5 days. Is it supposed to take time?
Yes - everything is taking more time right now.

You should expect that IRCC will deny the exemption and say that your parents' reasons for traveling to Canada are non-essential.

Reactions: le_eddz

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Yes - everything is taking more time right now.

You should expect that IRCC will deny the exemption and say that your parents' reasons for traveling to Canada are non-essential.
Understandable. Thank you for your reply!

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hello,

I think this is depending on the visa office in your home country... I applied for my aunt's visit visa last week of Feb. (Manila office)... The visa was issued March 7th.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think this is depending on the visa office in your home country... I applied for my aunt's visit visa last week of Feb. (Manila office)... The visa was issued March 7th.
The email address the OP mentioned is who you email if you want to request an exemption to the current travel restrictions banning all but essential travel. Right now a parent traveling to visit a PR child in Canada will not fall under the exemption.

Agreed that for the actual TRVs, this is specific to each visa office and they are still being processed, although at a slower rate than normal. Congrats on getting the approval.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

There was no point in requesting an exemption when they don't even have TRVs to travel yet. The exemption process is completely separate from the actual TRV process. TRVs aren't approved on the basis of getting an exemption.

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
There was no point in requesting an exemption when they don't even have TRVs to travel yet. The exemption process is completely separate from the actual TRV process. TRVs aren't approved on the basis of getting an exemption.
From the IRCC website:

If you already applied for a visitor visa
Step 1: Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca to tell us

• you’re exempt from the travel restrictions if you’re outside the US
  • you need to travel for an essential(non discretionary) purpose if you’re exempt from the travel restrictions or coming from the US
  • you have an application in process
  • how you applied for your visa—online or by paper
The exemption is for many situations, including people who have already applied but haven't received the TRV yet.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/apply-visit-work-student.html#visa-applied

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys, my question is about the chance of granting visitor visa(TRV) for my father during these tough days and your opinion is highly appreciated.
Consider a case that there is no essential purpose for him but exception as a close family member can be proved. So, do you think if it's wise to apply for a visitor visa now or the chance of approval of his visa is very low due to pandemic?
No one can tell you chances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. Yes, as you truly mentioned no one can tell about the chance of approval of TRV visa in general. But, my focus is just about the pandemic period meaning that if we currently(during these lockdown days) apply then would it reduces the chance of application? In other words, would it be better to wait & apply after lifting the restrictions?
No difference in TRV application chances now or later. Whether your father can visit is a different story.

n_142007

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
Hello,

Any update?

KunalC

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
No update. I sent another email this week since they’ll be allowing family reunification soon and got the same automated email with no updates
I have also written to IRCC on the same email ID. I am having WP status in Canada and trying to get my wife here asap. May I know if you have managed to get the authorization letter?

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
I have also written to IRCC on the same email ID. I am having WP status in Canada and trying to get my wife here asap. May I know if you have managed to get the authorization letter?
Nope, literally no updates. I’m guessing it could be related to the VAC in my country as they recently reopened and were closed for months. But I’m still waiting too since February.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
These exemptionS were based on the previous rules.

le_eddz

Star Member
May 25, 2018
Hello, just wanted to update you guys. Got the passport request for my parents today along with an email from the visa office saying that it’s approved. Hope you guys get your visas soon!