+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Daily to USA with Canadian PR

canadapr92

Aug 9, 2017
Hi,
I live in Detroit, MI.
I'm planning to apply for Express Entry next month.

How difficult is it to cross border to Detroit daily for work with Canadian PR( that can help me in completing the PR residence requirements in Canada.) ?

I know that the Canadian citizens don't have any problem but not sure about PR people.

Thank You :)

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR itself does not give you any right to visit USA visa free if your home country is not visa waived (while green card from USA gives you this option for Canada).
So you might need visa and maybe even work permit.
Most challenging might be the part to maintain your PR. (how would be those days where you spend part of the day abroad working for non Canadian employer counted).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Most challenging might be the part to maintain your PR. (how would be those days where you spend part of the day abroad working for non Canadian employer counted).
Any day spent even partially in Canada, counts towards the residency obligation. So one could travel to USA, spend the night, and travel back to Canada next day and still have 100% of days towards the RO since both days they were in Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
PR itself does not give you any right to visit USA visa free if your home country is not visa waived (while green card from USA gives you this option for Canada).
So you might need visa and maybe even work permit.
As long as you spent a single minute of a day in Canada, it counts as a day of residence. Partial days count as residency days. So if the OP commutes to work every day he can count those days.

See section 6.4 of this file
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf

Reactions: mohitm

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see thanks for info.

Snipping

Star Member
May 17, 2017
As long as you spent a single minute of a day in Canada, it counts as a day of residence. Partial days count as residency days. So if the OP commutes to work every day he can count those days.

See section 6.4 of this file
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf
Section 6.5 of the file lists the requirements for employment outside of Canada, so you should ensure that you meet these requirements if you were to use this out-of-country employment to meet the 730-day requirement.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Section 6.5 of the file lists the requirements for employment outside of Canada, so you should ensure that you meet these requirements.
Just to clarify section 6.5 covers someone temporarily assigned by a Canadian company to work outside Canada and still maintain residency obligation. In the OPs case they want to reside in Canada but commute to the US daily , assume to work for a US employer so section 6.5 does not seem relevant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to clarify section 6.5 covers someone temporarily assigned by a Canadian company to work outside Canada and still maintain residency obligation. In the OPs case they want to reside in Canada but commute to the US daily , assume to work for a US employer so section 6.5 does not seem relevant.
Agreed.

agm14

Aug 10, 2017
So does this mean that the OP cannot work in the US for a US company (despite having an H1b VISA) by commuting daily between US and Canada, while living in Canada as a PR? I am in a similar situation and need to decide if I can live in Canada and commute to US for my work daily as I look for a job in Canada.

I intend to eventually live and work in Canada, but do not want to just quit my job in US and move to Canada, now that I will be getting my CoPR soon, so that i can maintain a continuous stream of income.

Appreciate your thoughts!!

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
So does this mean that the OP cannot work in the US for a US company (despite having an H1b VISA) by commuting daily between US and Canada, while living in Canada as a PR? I am in a similar situation and need to decide if I can live in Canada and commute to US for my work daily as I look for a job in Canada.

I intend to eventually live and work in Canada, but do not want to just quit my job in US and move to Canada, now that I will be getting my CoPR soon, so that i can maintain a continuous stream of income.

Appreciate your thoughts!!

As long as you have the correct permissions (visas), you absolutely can. Neither of you would be the first to do this.

Reactions: agm14

jwar

Mar 19, 2017
Even I'm planning to move to Detroit and travel everyday from Windsor to Detroit. So I want to know what are procedures which I might need to consider while crossing the border on a daily basis. Needless to say, I would work from the same employer, maintaining a valid H1b.
Appreciate your thoughts.

agm14

Aug 10, 2017
As long as you have the correct permissions (visas), you absolutely can. Neither of you would be the first to do this.
Thanks Mthornt!! Just got my CoPR and stamped Passport today. Should start planning for the landing and new life in Canada!!!

jwar

Mar 19, 2017
Guys, Did anyone start doing the daily travel b/w USA & Canada. I want to know about the experience..

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Sure, I have. I'd recommend having your title, and documents proving you're initiated the import process with you in your car. I also have a Nexus card which makes it alot faster crossing the border. If you don't have these documents with you, they may give you a hard time, I learned that the hard way.

Guys, Did anyone start doing the daily travel b/w USA & Canada. I want to know about the experience..