+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traffic Violation ticket->Pleading not Guilty in court->Affect on Citizenship

bigben3

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Hi All,

I recently received a traffic violation ticket from police in Edmonton, AB on "not signalling when turning right in safe manner". I was in center lane and whne the right side traffic was clear, I turned right into a street without changing lanes one by one. And thats when the cop followed me a gave a $155 ticket

I am planning to fight in court to not get my demerits.

Will this have any impact on my citizenship applying next year if I go to court?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi bigben3, this was asked many times here in the forum and the answer is NO.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

I recently received a traffic violation ticket from police in Edmonton, AB on "not signalling when turning right in safe manner". I was in center lane and whne the right side traffic was clear, I turned right into a street without changing lanes one by one. And thats when the cop followed me a gave a $155 ticket

I am planning to fight in court to not get my demerits.

Will this have any impact on my citizenship applying next year if I go to court?
traffic violation doesn't affect your citizenship application, although the question is, if you know that you did violate traffic law, why the bloody hell you are fighting it in the court ? Pay the fine and get that well deserved demerits, why are you wasting Judge's and policeman's time just because of your mistake?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Why would a minor traffic violation affect your citizenship application? Its not like you were recklessly driving impaired and killed someone--you forgot to use your turn signal. It happens, get over it, move on. That said, use your turn signal please....

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
PLEASE...people, learn how to drive! Use your turn signal! What's the big deal of using it? It's there for a reason!

Gotta go...'cause I'm getting real mad right now.

bigben3

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks for your replies guys. Whoa...some were aggressive though..lol

TBF, I did use my right indicator as I have been using that road since 5 years. Its just that the cop didn't noticed it as the turn was quick. He stopped me and re-checked my both indicators and they were working fine. Even then he issued the ticket.

Anyways, I realized that there's really no use in fighting as they wont believe my words in court as it'll be in favor of the cop.I'll just pay the fine and move on...

Thanks again..!!

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to turn right from the right most lane only and not from the Centre lane. That could have resulted in the fine. Anyways, this is a citizenship forum and let's move on and all the best to your application in future.

canadaon

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bigben3 said:
Thanks for your replies guys. Whoa...some were aggressive though..lol

TBF, I did use my right indicator as I have been using that road since 5 years. Its just that the cop didn't noticed it as the turn was quick. He stopped me and re-checked my both indicators and they were working fine. Even then he issued the ticket.

Anyways, I realized that there's really no use in fighting as they wont believe my words in court as it'll be in favor of the cop.I'll just pay the fine and move on...

Thanks again..!!
Usually, if you appear on the date mentioned on the ticket, a judge will have a short discussion with you and in most cases will reduce the fine to about 50%. I got a ticket few days back as I didn't renew my registration and was given a $150 ticket. I appeared and got it reduced to $80. Hope this helps!

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
canadaon said:
Usually, if you appear on the date mentioned on the ticket, a judge will have a short discussion with you and in most cases will reduce the fine to about 50%. I got a ticket few days back as I didn't renew my registration and was given a $150 ticket. I appeared and got it reduced to $80. Hope this helps!
Also you could get a discount (mostly similar) by talking to the prosecutor. If you go to the JP counter they will direct you . There can be some waiting time involved though(1-2 hours , based on the time). In that case you don't have to go to the court.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Tri-Cities said:
PLEASE...people, learn how to drive! Use your turn signal! What's the big deal of using it? It's there for a reason!

Gotta go...'cause I'm getting real mad right now.
Imagine it WOULD effect your citizenship.. half the country could not vote! :D