+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist Visa for Parents

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
I am in the process of applying for TRV for my mother. I am the only child and she is a widow

I am in Canada Permanent resident who recently landed in Canada to start a full time job offer.

My mother is retired and financially independent as she receives monthly pension from the government. In addition, she also has approx 65000 CAD worth of money in her bank accounts spread between savings account, deposits and provident funds. I will be attaching the bank balance certificate and pension certificate as proof

We also jointly own a house in India. Can i attach a utility bill to prove the home ownership.

Should I also attach a invitation letter with my Canada employment details and mention thAT I will buy insurance and sponsor the flight tickets once TRV is approved?

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Thank you for your response.

Just wanted to update that we took a shot by applying visitor visa for my Mother in law. In her application we mentioned that her stay ( 2 weeks) will be financially supported by my wife and me. As supporting documents we submitted a notarized invitation letter saying we will cover her expenses and attached both our tax returns along with 3 months joint bank statements and salary slips. She did not have any assets back home nor any significant Bank statements so we did not submit any from her end.

She got her biometrics done on 3rd January and got passport submission letter on 12th January!

Now we are wondering if we should just go the same route for my parents too just to keep it simple as they are also not working. Or is it better to still include proof of assets (house, land etc) and their bank statements too!
What all did you submit in the application for your MIL? What is the status of application for your own set of parents? I have sent you a DM. Can we connect?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the process of applying for TRV for my mother. I am the only child and she is a widow

I am in Canada Permanent resident who recently landed in Canada to start a full time job offer.

My mother is retired and financially independent as she receives monthly pension from the government. In addition, she also has approx 65000 CAD worth of money in her bank accounts spread between savings account, deposits and provident funds. I will be attaching the bank balance certificate and pension certificate as proof

We also jointly own a house in India. Can i attach a utility bill to prove the home ownership.

Should I also attach a invitation letter with my Canada employment details and mention thAT I will buy insurance and sponsor the flight tickets once TRV is approved?

Given that you only recently landed in Canada I would recommend delaying the TRV application for your mother until your have established yourself in Canada for at least 6 months. There will be concerns that you are trying to have your mother move with you to Canada which it appears as though you may be trying to do. Your mother can not move to Canada with you. She can try to visit you for an extended period once you have met LICO preferably using your NOA as proof but sponsoring a parent to get PR is very difficult and is not guranteed. The demand far exceeds the amount of spots available and Canada is already struggling to meet the need of our current population with our ageing population and our healthcare system in crisis. There have already been changes to the PGP application that has favoured older candidates and it does appear that the program will try to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest because there are hundreds of thousands of applications for around 30k spots annually. The government needs to do a better job clarifying that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Given that you only recently landed in Canada I would recommend delaying the TRV application for your mother until your have established yourself in Canada for at least 6 months. There will be concerns that you are trying to have your mother move with you to Canada which it appears as though you may be trying to do. Your mother can not move to Canada with you. She can try to visit you for an extended period once you have met LICO preferably using your NOA as proof but sponsoring a parent to get PR is very difficult and is not guranteed. The demand far exceeds the amount of spots available and Canada is already struggling to meet the need of our current population with our ageing population and our healthcare system in crisis. There have already been changes to the PGP application that has favoured older candidates and it does appear that the program will try to prioritize those who have been waiting the longest because there are hundreds of thousands of applications for around 30k spots annually. The government needs to do a better job clarifying that parent sponsorship is not guaranteed
I dont see IRCC pushing for NOA as a mandatory document. I can very well submit a employment letter from my employer with my designation, salary etc. Also to note, it is canadian based company

LICO should not be a consideration for TRV. I am not applying for PGP PR progrm neither super visa. I ll probably apply for super visa later once I have NOA and also given the fact that her passport will expire in jan 2027. so will apply with new passport

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I dont see IRCC pushing for NOA as a mandatory document. I can very well submit a employment letter from my employer with my designation, salary etc. Also to note, it is canadian based company

LICO should not be a consideration for TRV. I am not applying for PGP PR progrm neither super visa. I ll probably apply for super visa later once I have NOA and also given the fact that her passport will expire in jan 2027. so will apply with new passport
For supervisa NOA is the main document that is accepted. When people have tried to use other documentation some have been denied. Most don’t attempt using other documentation. For supervisa proof of income already earned in Canada is what is important not salary. For a normal TRV the applicant’s information is what is important not the proof from the person they are visiting in Canada. People can include information from the person they are visiting in Canada but it is secondary information versus their own information. This doesn’t change the fact that your mother is applying to visit you soon after you moved to Canada. There would already be concerns about her ties to her home country and concern about whether she will return home given she is retired, widowed and you are an only child so if she applies for a TRV soon after you arrived in Canada that will only reinforce concerns that she may be trying to move to Canada with you. Unless she has an extensive international travel history, especially to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc., parents should wait until their child has established their life in Canada before applying for a TRV. This is even the case if they are not an only child. This decreases concern that they are trying to move to Canada with their child. There are parents who do try to move to Canada and with their child so this is a valid concern. Would also suggest applying for a short visit of 2-3 weeks for the initial visit for a higher chance of approval.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
For supervisa NOA is the main document that is accepted. When people have tried to use other documentation some have been denied. Most don’t attempt using other documentation. For supervisa proof of income already earned in Canada is what is important not salary. For a normal TRV the applicant’s information is what is important not the proof from the person they are visiting in Canada. People can include information from the person they are visiting in Canada but it is secondary information versus their own information. This doesn’t change the fact that your mother is applying to visit you soon after you moved to Canada. There would already be concerns about her ties to her home country and concern about whether she will return home given she is retired, widowed and you are an only child so if she applies for a TRV soon after you arrived in Canada that will only reinforce concerns that she may be trying to move to Canada with you. Unless she has an extensive international travel history, especially to countries like the US, UK, Australia, etc., parents should wait until their child has established their life in Canada before applying for a TRV. This is even the case if they are not an only child. This decreases concern that they are trying to move to Canada with their child. There are parents who do try to move to Canada and with their child so this is a valid concern. Would also suggest applying for a short visit of 2-3 weeks for the initial visit for a higher chance of approval.
If I change the duration of visit from regular 6 ,months to couple of months in TRV application Will that mean she ll be allowed to stay for two months only ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If I change the duration of visit from regular 6 ,months to couple of months in TRV application Will that mean she ll be allowed to stay for two months only ?
CBSA decides how long she can stay upon entry up to 6 months. She will not know until she enters.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
CBSA decides how long she can stay upon entry up to 6 months. She will not know until she enters.
But will submitting the application with dates as just couple of months of visit have a bearing on the amount of stay month she ll get? When and who deceides the stay period?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But will submitting the application with dates as just couple of months of visit have a bearing on the amount of stay month she ll get? When and who deceides the stay period?
You can say she will only stay 6 months but CBSA can say she can only stay 2 months. Best is to have a return ticket when she enters Canada so CBSA knows that she will leave.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
You can say she will only stay 6 months but CBSA can say she can only stay 2 months. Best is to have a return ticket when she enters Canada so CBSA knows that she will leave.

Yes we do plan to have return tickets. But should I really just mention that visit period is only two months or should I mention the regular 6 months on the application when i submit

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Yes we do plan to have return tickets. But should I really just mention that visit period is only two months or should I mention the regular 6 months on the application when i submit
Mention 2 months as she doesn’t have strong ties to return since retired. Once approved, get a return ticket 6 months out.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Mention 2 months as she doesn’t have strong ties to return since retired. Once approved, get a return ticket 6 months out.
My mother will be able to about 68000 CAD worth of money as proof of funds in her bank accounts spread between savings, deposits and provident. In addition to this, she also draws a monthly pension. She also jointly owns a residential property with me . She is residing there as well

For pernsion, she also needs to be physically make herself available once each year in Nov to continue receiving pension.

I will be mentioning all this in the invitation letter. Do you still think she still does not have significant ties to home country?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My mother will be able to about 68000 CAD worth of money as proof of funds in her bank accounts spread between savings, deposits and provident. In addition to this, she also draws a monthly pension. She also jointly owns a residential property with me . She is residing there as well

For pernsion, she also needs to be physically make herself available once each year in Nov to continue receiving pension.

I will be mentioning all this in the invitation letter. Do you still think she still does not have significant ties to home country?
Her only tie is to come back once a year.