+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time spent in Canada before PR

kd@1987

Dec 18, 2023
I am trying to apply for Citizenship for Canada but IRCC says they cannot confirm the time I spent in Canada before becoming a PR. Here is the timeline :

Arrived in Canada - Sept 14, 2019

Got Married - October 5, 2019

Applied for Spousal Application with Work Permit - December 15, 2019

Got Work Permit - June 01, 2020

Work Permit Expire - Dec 01, 2020

Got PR - Dec 07, 2020

Travelled for combined 5 months between 2021 and 2023.
Now, when I put these exact dates in the Physical Presence, it tells me I qualify for Citizenship as I have more than 1095 days in Canada but IRCC keeps sending my application back saying they cannot confirm my time in Canada before becoming PR.

I talked to a lawyer recently and they suggested that because I came here as a Visitor and then got married because of which I got my Work Permit, it cannot be counted as "authentic". Hence, no time will be counted before I became PR. Is this true?

I keep trying to call IRCC but its next to impossible to get connected to someone there.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am trying to apply for Citizenship for Canada but IRCC says they cannot confirm the time I spent in Canada before becoming a PR. Here is the timeline :

Now, when I put these exact dates in the Physical Presence, it tells me I qualify for Citizenship as I have more than 1095 days in Canada but IRCC keeps sending my application back saying they cannot confirm my time in Canada before becoming PR.

I talked to a lawyer recently and they suggested that because I came here as a Visitor and then got married because of which I got my Work Permit, it cannot be counted as "authentic". Hence, no time will be counted before I became PR. Is this true?

I keep trying to call IRCC but its next to impossible to get connected to someone there.
If they cannot confirm it, it will be difficult to use those days.
Try contacting IRCC using this - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2022-citizenship-applications.766933/page-135#post-10523591
But I doubt the agent will be of much help.

If you skip the pre-PR days, won't you still be able to apply for citizenship?

kd@1987

Dec 18, 2023
If you skip the pre-PR days, won't you still be able to apply for citizenship?
Not really as I travelled for almost 5 months between my PR issuance and now so those days are not counted.

Deividas

Star Member
Apr 3, 2023
What happened before you became a PR is a bit tricky. As the rules suggest: "You may be able to include some of the time you spent
  • in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person
"

However, they will not chase any information, thus in your case, it will not be included. So yes, unfortunately, you will have to wait until the day from PR + 5month absences is more than 3 years.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Arrived in Canada - Sept 14, 2019

Got Married - October 5, 2019

Applied for Spousal Application with Work Permit - December 15, 2019

Got Work Permit - June 01, 2020

Work Permit Expire - Dec 01, 2020

Got PR - Dec 07, 2020

Travelled for combined 5 months between 2021 and 2023.

. . . I travelled for almost 5 months between my PR issuance and now so those days are not counted.
Short Answer:

For expert advice see a lawyer. Apparently you did. Not clear to me precisely what the lawyer said, but if the gist of what the lawyer said was you will not get pre-PR credit for the period of time you were a visitor or otherwise did not have documented status, that is very likely correct.

You should and probably will be given credit for the period of time you had a work permit, that is the period June 01, 2020 to December 01, 2020, which is approximately 183 days, adding up to a total credit of approximately 91 (or 91.5) days.

The lawyer's terminology, saying the period of time in Canada as a visitor time cannot be counted as "authentic" is a bit odd to me, but I am NOT a Canadian lawyer. The underlying problem is proving you had status during that time when your GCMS records probably do not show a grant of status. See longer explanation below. But, again, apart from the terminology, it probably does come down to NO credit for pre-PR time you had visitor status. Which I suspect is what the lawyer was saying.

Way to approach this:

Wait to apply until you have a total credit of approximately 1125 days, based on 91 days pre-PR credit (work permit period) plus at least 1035 or so days credit after becoming a PR. This gives you a margin over the minimum of around a month (many here suggest less margin, just a week to ten days, but to my view waiting another three weeks or so more than that to apply should give the applicant a comfortable margin significantly improving the odds of the application staying on a non-routine, faster processing track, such that the odds are good that waiting to apply can actually mean taking the oath sooner).

BUT then, when you actually complete the application and physical presence calculation, you can also include those periods of pre-PR time you are confident you actually had visitor status, even if you cannot submit any documents to prove status. As long as you meet the presence requirement without counting these days, the application should not be returned. And this will pad the margin over the minimum even more.

Be sure to ONLY claim credit for days you are sure you had valid status. Leading to . . . a caution . . .

CAUTION: you appear to have tried to count days you may have been overstaying. Unless you were specifically granted visitor status for more than six months, for example, your visitor status (at most) was likely just September 14, 2019 to March 14, 2020; so it appears you were overstaying the period March 15, 2020 to June 01, 2020. I do not know precisely how to account for this in the physical presence calculator, but if you carefully follow the instructions you should be able to navigate this. Note that just because Canada does not generally pursue removal while a spousal sponsorship application is in process does not mean they granted the sponsored spouse Temporary Resident Status . . . until some temporary status is actually granted, like the work permit. And when the work permit expired, it appears you were overstaying those few days between then and the date you became a PR. This is NO big deal. (Did a version of this myself, overstaying the expiration of a Visitor Record until I completed the landing procedure.) NOT a problem . . . EXCEPT you cannot count such periods toward meeting the physical presence requirement because you did not have Temporary Resident Status during those periods.

Further Explanation:

Appears you did not have Temporary Resident Status between December 01, 2020 and December 07, 2020, so the five days in that period will NOT count toward meeting the physical presence requirement.

Assuming you had legal visitor status from your arrival September 14, 2019 until the work permit was issued June 01, 2020, those days COULD count, but will only count if:
-- your GCMS records verify you had Temporary Resident Status during that period of time, OR​
-- YOU can somehow meet the burden of proving you had Temporary Resident Status during that period of time​
Absent a formally issued visitor visa, or formally issued Visitor Record, showing the dates you were granted visitor status in Canada, it is likely that GCMS does not verify you had Temporary Resident Status during that period of time. Odds are you otherwise do not have any documents or IRCC notices that show a grant of visitor status for those periods, and at best would have great difficulty proving you had been granted status. So this period of time will likely NOT get any credit toward meeting the presence requirement. Also note, it appears you were overstaying at least the period of time between March 14, 2020 (six months after arrival) and the date you were issued a work permit June 1, 2020.

As discussed above, IRCC probably verifies your Temporary Resident Status for the period June 01, 2020 to December 01, 2020, the period you were a total of approximately 183 days adding up to a total credit of approximately 91 (or 91.5) days.

Further Observations; General Explanation (this is a bit repetitive, largely copied from explanation about this I have previously posted):

Generally, when there are questions about pre-PR credit toward meeting the physical presence requirement (to be qualified for a grant of Canadian citizenship), the problem is often (not always) about the absence of documented status in the client's GCMS records. The most common scenarios in which this arises are either:
-- a period of implied status that is not readily recognized and verified by GCMS records​
-- a period of visitor status for which there was no formal grant of that status (no visitor visa issued), typically involving individuals entering Canada with a visa-exempt passport who were not issued a Visitor's Record attendant entry into Canada​

The burden of proof that the applicant for citizenship meets the requirements is on the applicant. And this applies to all elements of all the requirements. Including proof of status.

Proving status is ordinarily NO problem. This is because the status of IRCC clients (PRs, citizenship applicants, and any FNs applying for or granted entry into Canada) is recorded in their GCMS records whenever there is a formal grant of status. The applicant's statements in the application specifying status and the dates of that status are, usually, enough; IRCC verifies the applicant's information in their GCMS records. In these circumstances (which apply to the vast majority of applicants), that suffices to meet the applicant's burden of proof as to status.

There are various scenarios in which a FN (Foreign National) might be in Canada with legal status to be in Canada, having Temporary Resident Status, which is not documented in GCMS records. I mentioned two above. Any day in Canada (within the five year eligibility period) that the applicant had status is entitled to credit (half-day credit) toward the physical presence requirement. But if IRCC cannot verify the applicant's Temporary Resident Status for a period of time, that time will NOT count.

Also discussed at some length recently here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/help-ircc-keeps-saying-my-file-is-missing-information.829258/#post-10696459

Note of Appreciation for Noting the Lawyer's Comment: While the terminology the lawyer used is different than what I am familiar with (noting again that I am NOT a Canadian lawyer), it corroborates what is outlined above, so I appreciate your posting what the lawyer said.

mukomana

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
I am facing the same issue came as a visitor and my application was returned because they can not verify the time pre PR so I just returned the application but this time I sent my boarding pass and my work permit as I do not my passport was never stamped on entry. They haven’t returned it yet so wrote my test and it was marked as complete so just waiting anxiously to see if I will pass the physical presence

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am facing the same issue came as a visitor and my application was returned because they can not verify the time pre PR so I just returned the application but this time I sent my boarding pass and my work permit as I do not my passport was never stamped on entry. They haven’t returned it yet so wrote my test and it was marked as complete so just waiting anxiously to see if I will pass the physical presence
Please let the form know more about your experience. More details about the timeline in particular. And of course any update in decisions IRCC makes.

But yes, contesting this, that is challenging IRCC in regards to not recognizing periods of time in Canada prior to becoming a PR, is one possible approach. There has been rather little anecdotal reporting about doing this and how it goes.

I have addressed doing that in some depth in previous discussions. It might work. The main downside, SO FAR, appears to be the impact on the timeline; the additional time it takes to process the application including examination and verification of periods in Canada with undocumented visitor status, or unconfirmed implied status, means (or is likely to anyway) that the applicant would have reached the date they take the oath sooner if they had waited longer to apply, to apply without needing those periods to count.

HOWEVER, taking the approach that attempts to force IRCC to count the time ALSO carries some RISK that the period of time, or some part of it, does not get credit, and if that results in the applicant falling short of the presence requirement, the application MUST be denied. Remember, just one day short means IRCC and, if it goes that far, a Citizenship Judge cannot approve the grant of citizenship.

But if there are indications that IRCC is timely processing and approving applications for those who can solidly document the circumstances of their arrival and stay, and that it is reasonable to infer they had status during that time (despite no record of status in GCMS), that would be very useful information.

It is much appreciated if you and anyone else navigating this issue, those who do submit additional documents and information, and more or less demand that IRCC process the application, could provide some detailed information based on their experience. Obviously the big thing is the outcome, what IRCC ultimately decides. But any information about the process and timeline is also important.

It warrants cautioning that EVEN IF there are indications that IRCC is timely processing and approving applications for those who can solidly document the circumstances of their arrival and stay, and that it is reasonable to infer they had status during that time, how it will actually go for any particular individual will have to do with the facts in their specific situation. For @kd@1987 for example, even if the period in Canada with visitor status is given credit, the likelihood is NOT ALL of the pre-PR period in Canada, between date of arrival here and date a work permit was granted, will get credit (given the likelihood some of the period was an overstay). In particular, for @kd@1987 the best outcome based on challenging IRCC, formally pushing getting credit, would likely only add approximately 91 days additional presence credit (this is in addition to the approximately 91 days credit for the work permit period). Waiting an additional three months to apply tends to go by a lot faster than having to later wait eight or ten months longer, or sometimes much longer than that, than it takes for IRCC to finalize routinely processed applications.