+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! IRCC keeps saying my file is missing information

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
Here is some context:

I came to Canada as a Visitor on Sept 14th, 2019. After that I applied for a Temporary Foreign Worker permit which was approved on June 03, 2020. After that I got my PR on Dec 07, 2020.

Now, when I am applying for passport, its asking me to input my Temporary Resident Status before I became PR. I've entered the following information:

Part 1:
Temporary Resident Status - Visitor
Date you received the status - September 14, 2019
Date your status expired - May 31, 2020
Did you apply to extend your status - No.

Part 2:
Temporary Resident Status - Temporary Foreign Worker
Date you received the status - June 1, 2020
Date your status expired - December 6, 2020

I received an email from IRCC that there is missing information and they cannot confirm my time before I became PR. For the Temporary Foreign Worker status I have a letter dated June 03, 2020 which says my application has been approved but there is another Work Permit/Travel document which says the Date of Issue is June 01, 2020.

For my initial Visit Visa, I was able to stay for 6 months so technically my visa would expire 6 months after I landed here i.e March 15, 2020 but since I had already applied for the temporary worker status, I am not sure what would be the expiration date would be.

For the Work Visa, the date of expiration is Dec 01, 2020 and when I put this date, they said its missing information. I assumed because there is a gap between my Work Visa ending(Dec 01) and my PR (Dec 07), that is triggering it, so I put in Dec 06 to eliminate gaps but still IRCC says its missing information.

I am at a total loss as to what dates I am supposed to put in. I tried calling IRCC and they said they cannot disclose this information. My application has already been delayed 4 months due to this.

Please help me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ashwin35

Star Member
Jun 14, 2018
What is your current citizenship status? From the dates you mention, it sounds unlikely that you are a Canadian citizen. How are you applying for a Canadian passport?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I came to Canada as a Visitor on Sept 14th, 2019. After that I applied for a Temporary Foreign Worker permit which was approved on June 03, 2020. After that I got my PR on Dec 07, 2020.

Now, when I am applying for passport [applying for citizenship?], its asking me to input my Temporary Resident Status before I became PR.
There is more than a little that is confusing in your posts; will get to that.

Assuming your query is about an application for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(1) in the Citizenship Act (as referenced in the application form heading, CIT 0002) . . .

At least PART of the problem, or perhaps what might become a problem even after you resolve the issue your query is specifically about (what that is, again, is NOT clear), could be getting pre-PR credit for the period you were in Canada with visitor status. Probably should WAIT to apply for citizenship NOT relying on pre-PR credit for period you were in Canada with just visitor status. See more about this below.

IF This Is Problem In Completing Forms (error message while filling in form):

If this is about a problem arising in the physical presence calculator, an error message as you attempt to fill in the information and complete that, the likely problem is rooted in some missing information, or an inconsistency or conflict in the information being entered. Start over and carefully follow the instructions, and of course be very careful about the information entered into the calculator (and application form as well). If you are still encountering the problem, maybe you could turn to someone you know to help you fill out the forms, someone who is proficient in completing bureaucratic forms in the English (or French) language, and has a good understanding of immigration status.

If that does not resolve the problem, there are probably others here who are more actively familiar with details in the current online physical presence calculator (I have not worked through a draft recently) and who can help if you more clearly describe the situation.

Note Re Pre-PR Credit: Be sure to enter the specific dates that status was granted, as specified in the documentation of status. If, for example, the paperwork or digital notice about the grant of worker status specifies the date it was granted and the date it expired, be sure to enter those dates for that period of status. Example: if work permit shows December 1, 2020 as date it expired, then December 1 is the date it expired. You may have had (probably did have) implied Temporary Resident Status between then and date PR was granted, but that is a different period of status (and probably will not get credited; again, see below).

DO NOT provide information that is NOT correct just to make the form work. Subject to a bit, a small bit, of leeway. There is virtually no chance that IRCC would consider entering December 6, 2020 as the date the worker status expired to be misrepresentation, but technically it would be a misrepresentation; best to be accurate. I am not familiar with just how to enter information in regards to periods of implied status, or how to otherwise navigate the online calculator when there are gaps in status but the applicant remained IN Canada, but I believe that this is manageable if you very carefully follow the instructions.

Note Re Pre-PR Credit Not Documented in GCMS: Periods of implied status and periods during which status is not documented in the client's GCMS can be tricky. More about this below. Easier, faster, and likely better approach is to populate the physical presence calculator as if to count these periods of time, BUT WAIT to apply with enough credit to NOT be relying on those periods counting. Example: for an applicant in Canada as visa-exempt visitor for five months before becoming a PR, better to wait to apply with 1125 or MORE days credit for time in Canada as a PR, still reporting the pre-PR period but NOT relying on it counting. In this example, the physical presence total would be 1200 days, based on 1125 as PR, 75 days (half credit for 150 days) as pre-PR visitor. Nice 30 to 105 day buffer over the minimum. Make the total stranger bureaucrat handling the application very comfortable approving the application without any RQ-related concerns.

IF This Is Problem Indicated By Communication From IRCC After Submitting Application:

Again, the confusion precludes offering a definitive response, but if this is about IRCC responding in regards to a submitted application, there is at least a significant probability this could be about the absence of GCMS records confirming some part of your pre-PR status.

Moreover, even if the problem your query is about is in the form and is resolved, some aspects of your situation indicate a significant RISK of running into a problem getting credit for some of your pre-PR days in Canada.

Unless you applied for and were issued a formal visitor's visa, or were issued a formal Visitor's Record when you entered Canada, it is likely your GCMS records do not verify you had visitor status, and IRCC cannot verify you are entitled to pre-PR credit for that period of time. Similarly (possibly) as to the period of implied status between expiration of worker status and grant of PR status.

If this is the problem (again, that is not certain, especially given the confusion in your posts), or if you apply relying on credit for these periods of time and IRCC questions your status, there is probably a way to challenge this. HOWEVER, the faster path (and definitely the easier path) to taking the oath is probably withdrawing the application and waiting to re-apply when you no longer need to rely on the pre-PR credit for days in Canada as a visitor, that is, applying when you meet the physical presence requirement without counting those days (plus at least ten days, 30 is better, margin over the minimum).

Explanation: pre-PR Credit Toward Physical Presence Requirement:

Generally, when there are questions about pre-PR credit toward meeting the physical presence requirement (to be qualified for a grant of Canadian citizenship), the problem is often (not always) about the absence of documented status in the client's GCMS records. The most common scenarios in which this arises are either:
-- a period of implied status that is not readily recognized and verified by GCMS records​
-- a period of visitor status for which there was no formal grant of that status (no visitor visa issued), typically involving individuals entering Canada with a visa-exempt passport who were not issued a Visitor's Record attendant entry into Canada​

The burden of proof that the applicant for citizenship meets the requirements is on the applicant. And this applies to all elements of all the requirements. Including proof of status.

Proving status is ordinarily NO problem. This is because the status of IRCC clients (PRs, citizenship applicants, and any FNs applying for or granted entry into Canada) is recorded in their GCMS records whenever there is a formal grant of status. The applicant's statements in the application specifying status and the dates of that status are, usually, enough; IRCC verifies the applicant's information in GCMS records. In these circumstances (which apply to the vast majority of applicants), that suffices to meet the applicant's burden of proof as to status.

There are various scenarios in which a FN (Foreign National) might be in Canada with legal status to be in Canada, having Temporary Resident Status, which is not documented in GCMS records. I mentioned two above. Any day in Canada (within the five year eligibility period) that the applicant had status is entitled to credit (half-day credit) toward the physical presence requirement. But if IRCC cannot verify the applicant's Temporary Resident Status for a period of time, that time will NOT count.

As noted in introductory comments, there is probably a way to compel IRCC to process the application anyway, and then prove both presence and status beyond a balance of probabilities. For now it appears this would mean the application is not only non-routine, but is a physical presence case (sometimes referred to as a "residency-case"). Such cases tend to involve RQ-related procedures (which means lots of inconvenience) and much longer processing timelines. So, as noted above, the faster and easier way to become a citizen is to wait to apply NOT relying on the unverified period of pre-PR status.

See example described above, an example of applying with five months visitor status in Canada prior to becoming a PR.

Confusion In Your Posts:

You appear to have cleared up the main confusion, clarifying (assuming I get this right) that your query is NOT about applying for a Canadian passport, but about applying for a grant of Canadian citizenship (which would then make you eligible to obtain a Canadian passport).

But . . . well . . . there is . . . from April 2023 . . .
Hi all! Got the oath ceremony email. Everything looks good.
Already a citizen?

and from yesterday . . .
I applied for PR card Renewal online on 27th Nov and haven't heard anything yet. . . . My PR card expires on 19-Dec-2023 and not sure how long this thing might take.
Looks like your PR status was granted around November 2018 . . . NOT December 07, 2020.

Among other incongruities and inconsistencies and . . . well . . . I think I mentioned something about your posts being confusing.

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
There is more than a little that is confusing in your posts; will get to that.

Assuming your query is about an application for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(1) in the Citizenship Act (as referenced in the application form heading, CIT 0002) . . .

At least PART of the problem, or perhaps what might become a problem even after you resolve the issue your query is specifically about (what that is, again, is NOT clear), could be getting pre-PR credit for the period you were in Canada with visitor status. Probably should WAIT to apply for citizenship NOT relying on pre-PR credit for period you were in Canada with just visitor status. See more about this below.

IF This Is Problem In Completing Forms (error message while filling in form):

If this is about a problem arising in the physical presence calculator, an error message as you attempt to fill in the information and complete that, the likely problem is rooted in some missing information, or an inconsistency or conflict in the information being entered. Start over and carefully follow the instructions, and of course be very careful about the information entered into the calculator (and application form as well). If you are still encountering the problem, maybe you could turn to someone you know to help you fill out the forms, someone who is proficient in completing bureaucratic forms in the English (or French) language, and has a good understanding of immigration status.

If that does not resolve the problem, there are probably others here who are more actively familiar with details in the current online physical presence calculator (I have not worked through a draft recently) and who can help if you more clearly describe the situation.

Note Re Pre-PR Credit: Be sure to enter the specific dates that status was granted, as specified in the documentation of status. If, for example, the paperwork or digital notice about the grant of worker status specifies the date it was granted and the date it expired, be sure to enter those dates for that period of status. Example: if work permit shows December 1, 2020 as date it expired, then December 1 is the date it expired. You may have had (probably did have) implied Temporary Resident Status between then and date PR was granted, but that is a different period of status (and probably will not get credited; again, see below).

DO NOT provide information that is NOT correct just to make the form work. Subject to a bit, a small bit, of leeway. There is virtually no chance that IRCC would consider entering December 6, 2020 as the date the worker status expired to be misrepresentation, but technically it would be a misrepresentation; best to be accurate. I am not familiar with just how to enter information in regards to periods of implied status, or how to otherwise navigate the online calculator when there are gaps in status but the applicant remained IN Canada, but I believe that this is manageable if you very carefully follow the instructions.

Note Re Pre-PR Credit Not Documented in GCMS: Periods of implied status and periods during which status is not documented in the client's GCMS can be tricky. More about this below. Easier, faster, and likely better approach is to populate the physical presence calculator as if to count these periods of time, BUT WAIT to apply with enough credit to NOT be relying on those periods counting. Example: for an applicant in Canada as visa-exempt visitor for five months before becoming a PR, better to wait to apply with 1125 or MORE days credit for time in Canada as a PR, still reporting the pre-PR period but NOT relying on it counting. In this example, the physical presence total would be 1200 days, based on 1125 as PR, 75 days (half credit for 150 days) as pre-PR visitor. Nice 30 to 105 day buffer over the minimum. Make the total stranger bureaucrat handling the application very comfortable approving the application without any RQ-related concerns.

IF This Is Problem Indicated By Communication From IRCC After Submitting Application:

Again, the confusion precludes offering a definitive response, but if this is about IRCC responding in regards to a submitted application, there is at least a significant probability this could be about the absence of GCMS records confirming some part of your pre-PR status.

Moreover, even if the problem your query is about is in the form and is resolved, some aspects of your situation indicate a significant RISK of running into a problem getting credit for some of your pre-PR days in Canada.

Unless you applied for and were issued a formal visitor's visa, or were issued a formal Visitor's Record when you entered Canada, it is likely your GCMS records do not verify you had visitor status, and IRCC cannot verify you are entitled to pre-PR credit for that period of time. Similarly (possibly) as to the period of implied status between expiration of worker status and grant of PR status.

If this is the problem (again, that is not certain, especially given the confusion in your posts), or if you apply relying on credit for these periods of time and IRCC questions your status, there is probably a way to challenge this. HOWEVER, the faster path (and definitely the easier path) to taking the oath is probably withdrawing the application and waiting to re-apply when you no longer need to rely on the pre-PR credit for days in Canada as a visitor, that is, applying when you meet the physical presence requirement without counting those days (plus at least ten days, 30 is better, margin over the minimum).

Explanation: pre-PR Credit Toward Physical Presence Requirement:

Generally, when there are questions about pre-PR credit toward meeting the physical presence requirement (to be qualified for a grant of Canadian citizenship), the problem is often (not always) about the absence of documented status in the client's GCMS records. The most common scenarios in which this arises are either:
-- a period of implied status that is not readily recognized and verified by GCMS records​
-- a period of visitor status for which there was no formal grant of that status (no visitor visa issued), typically involving individuals entering Canada with a visa-exempt passport who were not issued a Visitor's Record attendant entry into Canada​

The burden of proof that the applicant for citizenship meets the requirements is on the applicant. And this applies to all elements of all the requirements. Including proof of status.

Proving status is ordinarily NO problem. This is because the status of IRCC clients (PRs, citizenship applicants, and any FNs applying for or granted entry into Canada) is recorded in their GCMS records whenever there is a formal grant of status. The applicant's statements in the application specifying status and the dates of that status are, usually, enough; IRCC verifies the applicant's information in GCMS records. In these circumstances (which apply to the vast majority of applicants), that suffices to meet the applicant's burden of proof as to status.

There are various scenarios in which a FN (Foreign National) might be in Canada with legal status to be in Canada, having Temporary Resident Status, which is not documented in GCMS records. I mentioned two above. Any day in Canada (within the five year eligibility period) that the applicant had status is entitled to credit (half-day credit) toward the physical presence requirement. But if IRCC cannot verify the applicant's Temporary Resident Status for a period of time, that time will NOT count.

As noted in introductory comments, there is probably a way to compel IRCC to process the application anyway, and then prove both presence and status beyond a balance of probabilities. For now it appears this would mean the application is not only non-routine, but is a physical presence case (sometimes referred to as a "residency-case"). Such cases tend to involve RQ-related procedures (which means lots of inconvenience) and much longer processing timelines. So, as noted above, the faster and easier way to become a citizen is to wait to apply NOT relying on the unverified period of pre-PR status.

See example described above, an example of applying with five months visitor status in Canada prior to becoming a PR.

Confusion In Your Posts:

You appear to have cleared up the main confusion, clarifying (assuming I get this right) that your query is NOT about applying for a Canadian passport, but about applying for a grant of Canadian citizenship (which would then make you eligible to obtain a Canadian passport).

But . . . well . . . there is . . . from April 2023 . . .
Already a citizen?

and from yesterday . . .
Looks like your PR status was granted around November 2018 . . . NOT December 07, 2020.

Among other incongruities and inconsistencies and . . . well . . . I think I mentioned something about your posts being confusing.
Thanks for the detailed answer. This is for my spouse. She didn't want to make a separate account so posted through mine.

So if we disregard the time before PR, it comes out to 970 days. But in the beginning of the application, it asks if she had any temporary status, saying No to that might also be considered misrepresentation. I believe its the dates that are not accurate and its causing issues.

If we order GCMS notes, do you think that would have more detailed info about her status and all the dates?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some is still is confusing. Will do my best to sort out and address some key elements.

This is for my spouse. She didn't want to make a separate account so posted through mine.
Does not entirely clear up the confusion -- not clear who got scheduled for the oath in April, versus who became a PR in 2018 (or before, current PR card expiring 19 December 2023), versus who (your spouse you say) became a PR in 2020 (and wants to apply for citizenship now).

Beyond that, I will offer the best I can . . . assuming this is about the prospective citizenship applicant here who became a PR December 2020 . . . noting with some emphasis that while I address some particular facts and circumstances, my comments are rooted in general principles and information as best we know. NOT personal advice. But, hopefully information you can use to figure out what you need to do.

If we order GCMS notes, do you think that would have more detailed info about her status and all the dates?
You can (well, she can, or that is, the PR seeking information about themselves can) make an ATIP request for detailed information regarding status and dates. HOWEVER, how to actually make that request is probably a little more complex than just using the simple request form provided by IRCC.

However, you should be able to figure out the status and respective dates.

From what you have posted, it appears that the applicant had PR status beginning December 7, 2020.

Prior that the applicant had:
-- worker status June 1, 2020 to December 1, 2020 (six months or approximately 183 days)​
-- visitor status September 17, 2019 to approximately March 15, 2020 (six months or 183 days)​

It appears the applicant reported periods of overstay:

-- including March 15, 2020 through May 31, 2020, as if an extension of status had been applied for and obtained. I am not sure if the applicant can claim implied status for this period. Absent an application for extension of status my sense is NO, that this was a period of overstay not implied status (this is NO big deal, not a problem, since the subsequent grant of worker status effectively cured any previous overstay).​
-- including December 2 through December 6, 2020; similarly, as if an extension of status had been applied for and obtained; absent application for extension probably cannot be claimed as a period of implied status.​

DO NOT TAKE my word for it. The applicant needs to objectively assess the facts and then, in the application, including the presence calculation, give information consistent with the applicant's best understanding of the facts. In particular, if . . . FOR EXAMPLE, emphasis on *IF* the applicant understands they had worker status June 1, 2020 to December 1, 2020, and visitor status September 17, 2019 to approximately March 15, 2020, they should provide this information (or if they believe they had status for a different period, state that) as part of the application, but not in the application itself, rather in the physical presence calculation.

Leading to . . .
So if we disregard the time before PR, it comes out to 970 days. But in the beginning of the application, it asks if she had any temporary status, saying No to that might also be considered misrepresentation. I believe its the dates that are not accurate and its causing issues.
Forgive me for being repetitive but it is important to fully grasp that the applicant's obligation is to put information into the forms that is complete and accurate to the best of the applicant's understanding. That is about the applicant's best understanding of what information is asked for, and the applicant's best understanding of the facts that are responsive to that question.

Do NOT report any information the applicant does not believe is true. Do NOT submit any misleading, let alone overtly untrue information, whether by inclusion or omission.

As I noted before (noting it is subject to a bit, a small bit, of leeway):
DO NOT provide information that is NOT correct just to make the form work.

The corollary, which should be obvious, is likewise true:
DO NOT omit true information that is requested just to make the form work.

Leading to . . .

" . . . if we disregard the time before PR, it comes out to 970 days . . . "

An IMPORTANT distinction: it can make sense to "disregard the time . . . " (or some of the time) a PR was in Canada pre-PR for the PURPOSE of deciding WHEN to apply.

However, DO NOT disregard the true facts in what is put into the application and presence calculation.

Again, the information the applicant includes in the application and presence calculator needs to be ACCURATE and COMPLETE, to the best of the applicant's understanding (again, apologies for being repetitive). So NO, absolutely do NOT disregard accurately reporting pre-PR time in Canada.

When To Apply . . . in particular, disregarding (not relying on) some pre-PR days IN Canada FOR the purpose of DECIDING WHEN to APPLY:

I thought the example I described in my previous post explained this. Appears I need to elaborate.

Some days IN Canada prior to becoming a PR might not get credit toward meeting the physical presence requirement if IRCC cannot verify the applicant's status during that period of time. This does not necessarily mean the PR did not have Temporary Resident Status during that period of time. But if the records do not verify the grant of status, IRCC might not give that period of time credit. I mentioned a couple specific circumstances that can cause this (mostly undocumented status, such as a period of implied status, or time in Canada as a visitor based on entering Canada with a visa-exempt passport).

Here it appears there is no problem with the worker status period, June 1, 2020 to December 1, 2020 (six months or approximately 183 days), since there was a formal grant of that status. So this is approximately 91 days of credit IRCC should allow toward the physical presence requirement.

It is most likely there is enough problem with the gap-periods (probably overstays), the periods March 15, 2020 through May 31, 2020, and December 2 through December 6, 2020, that it is highly unlikely the applicant can successfully claim credit for these periods. That said, if the applicant truly believes they had Temporary Resident Status during these periods, that is what they should report in the presence calculator, but at the same time being aware that IRCC is NOT likely to allow credit for these time periods.

Period of Visitor Status In Particular:

The period of visitor status September 17, 2019 to approximately March 15, 2020 (six months or 183 days) is less clear. It should count. But unless a Foreign National visiting Canada is formally issued a Visitor Visa, or a Visitor's Record, it is likely there is no formal record of a grant of status. Given the extent to which your information is still confusing, I am not confident what the facts are.

But I can say this:
-- if the applicant was FORMALLY issued a visa to visit Canada, or upon entry into Canada was issued a Visitor's Record, the odds are good this time will get credit (for time period specified in the visa or visitor record)​
-- if the applicant was NOT issued a visa or visitor record, there is a real risk IRCC might not give credit for this time (applicant can probably contest this, but as noted in previous post this is usually NOT worth it)​
-- either way, the applicant still reports this information in the presence calculation, so it will be counted in the presence calculation the applicant submits (but again, there is a real risk IRCC will NOT give credit for this period unless there was a formal visa or visitor record issued)​

Using this information to help decide WHEN to APPLY (or perhaps Re-Apply):

This part is not so complicated as it might seem at first glance. Basically the applicant can WAIT to apply when they have enough credit to meet the presence requirement without relying on any period of time that is at risk for not being counted, like the gap periods for sure, and probably the period with visitor status as well.

In your situation, this may be about when to Re-Apply. It appears the applicant currently falls short if the gap periods and the period with visitor status are not given credit.

It would be wise to also wait to when the applicant has a good margin over the minimum.

To avoid confusing my analysis with your actual factual situation, I will illustrate using a modified version of the previous example I described: Applicant entered Canada as a visa-exempt visitor seven months prior to being granted PR status. This applicant should wait to apply when they have 1125 or more days credit AS a PR, not counting pre-PR days. This is based on the requirement of 1095 days PLUS a 30 day margin or buffer. In the application, however, in the presence calculation, they will report the six months presence with visitor status. NOT the additional month of overstay. So the calculation submitted with the application will show a total physical presence of 1125 plus 91 days, for a total of 1216 days. So if IRCC does not credit those 91 days, they still meet the minimum.

Last edited:

Canda2023

Jun 15, 2023
Here is some context:

Now, when I am applying for passport, its asking me to input my Temporary Resident Status before I became PR. I've entered the following information:

Part 1:
Temporary Resident Status - Visitor
Date you received the status - September 14, 2019
Date your status expired - May 31, 2020

Part 2:
Temporary Resident Status - Temporary Foreign Worker
Date you received the status - June 1, 2020
Date your status expired - December 6, 2020

I received an email from IRCC that there is missing information and they cannot confirm my time before I became PR. For the Temporary Foreign Worker status I have a letter dated June 03, 2020 which says my application has been approved but there is another Work Permit/Travel document which says the Date of Issue is June 01, 2020.

For my initial Visit Visa, I was able to stay for 6 months so technically my visa would expire 6 months after I landed here i.e March 15, 2020 but since I had already applied for the temporary worker status, I am not sure what would be the expiration date would be.

For the Work Visa, the date of expiration is Dec 01, 2020 and when I put this date, they said its missing information. I assumed because there is a gap between my Work Visa ending(Dec 01) and my PR (Dec 07), that is triggering it, so I put in Dec 06 to eliminate gaps but still IRCC says its missing information.

I am at a total loss as to what dates I am supposed to put in. I tried calling IRCC and they said they cannot disclose this information. My application has already been delayed 4 months due to this.

Please help me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you sure it is temporary foreign worker status that your spouse was in between visitor and becoming PR? Just realized that temporary foreign worker is not equal to OWP. We had our online app sent back for selecting TFW during the OWP period so we resubmitted with OWP as extension of visitor visa. Not sure if it will be accepted but should know very soon.