+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
noshi11 said:
I think that is what I had read previously from another post of yours. The last bit of evidence I sent was up to November 2012. I did not send a lot of evidence showing us spending time together previously, except for the wedding pics. That is because we were in a long distance relationship so things were complicted. I am already worried that they will question our lack of meetups so I am definitely going to go ahead and show them an update of us spending time together. What's the worse that can happen right?
I agree with your logic! If you two didn't have a lot of meetups, I would definitely send stuff in instead of waiting. Tickets, pictures, hotel bookings, things you did together, etc.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
AlanJB27 said:
And then, it's only an attempt to extend my medical.. What does that mean??
it means that the person answering emails is not a doctor. So he can ask for the extension, but it's a medical decision based on your previous medical exam - so not his decision.
Most people get the extension though, so not to worry...
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Just read that - not so good news for everybody going through London
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1169105/media-advisory-canada-s-professional-association-of-foreign-service-officers-announce-immediate-withdrawal-of-services-at-key-international-posts-and-

Sweden

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Sweden said:
Just read that - not so good news for everybody going through London
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1169105/media-advisory-canada-s-professional-association-of-foreign-service-officers-announce-immediate-withdrawal-of-services-at-key-international-posts-and-

Sweden
http://world.einnews.com/pr_news/149411131/pafso-plans-coordinated-international-information-picket-to-bring-treasury-board-back-to-negotiations

Does this mean they only striked on the 10th May for 1 hour?

With the news you posted does this mean they are going on strike again?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
that's what I understand - they want to force the negotiators to come back to the table. But I don't know much else about it...

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Sweden said:
that's what I understand - they want to force the negotiators to come back to the table. But I don't know much else about it...
Thanks!

Just when I thought an end might be in sight...sighhhh

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
scottishmaple said:
Thanks!

Just when I thought an end might be in sight...sighhhh
maybe they will go back right away to the negotiation table so IO can keep working.... it doesn't say anything on their webpage, so maybe it's a very limited and temporary thing... http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=3&view=d

The end IS in sight!!
Sweden

Aldagr813

Jan 2, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The strike in london was a shock for me....But hoping that they resolve and don't make the rest of us suffer :( ....Still staying positive that all the cases are resolved as soon as possible!

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
DGT said:
Hey guys. I got a reply to an email I sent to London on Monday asking when I can expect my COPR.

Good afternoon,

Your medical results were received and the assessment has been completed. All requirements have been met and we will soon proceed with finalising your application and issuing your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form.

Kind regards,
CDD

So I guess i'll be there soon. It's my birthday on the 30th of May. Hopefully it'll arrive on that day. That'd be a great present. Might be able to get my life in order at last.
Very happy to hear that! Hopefully things with you are going a bit better now.

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
rebecassss said:
Oh man, I was hoping to visit the forum and see ScottishMaple with DM by now. Glad they located your medicals though.

To those people having trouble finding work... Don't apply at Tim's! Apparently, they prefer to hire foreign workers because they don't have to pay them minimum wage. I can't remember the ins and outs of it but I was like... Won't be applying there then.

I found a job as soon as I landed, but I don't have a proper job or a "field" or anything like that so it was pretty easy because I was going to do anything that was offered to me. It's so backwards that people with experience and educations and actual careers are having a hard time.

I can't remember who said they were a programmer... You have to get downtown (Toronto). There is SO MUCH work right now, they're crying out for people. My husband is a software developer and he finds jobs all the time. Definitely get yourself hooked up with some recruiters, too. If you're on Linkedin they'll find you and bombard you with messages. It seems that tech companies are way less interested in the "Canadian experience" thing and care more about your work experience after talking to a bunch of immigrants in the industry, so it's a good place to be.

Glad to see lots more red on the spreadsheet :)
That'd be me. I really don't know what to do about the work situation. Still nothing yet.

My wife has an excellent government job in Orillia which we live 5 minutes away from. Whatever happens, she's not leaving that job as it would be incredibly difficult for her to get anything that pays close to what she earns now, plus she gets amazing benefits.

We could move to Barrie perhaps which is kind of mid way between Orillia and Toronto (a little closer to Orillia than Toronto I think), that way I could commute by car, although it would still be a very sucky drive. The Go train wouldn't be an option as the last train is very early and a programming job is prone to lots of overtime.

The problem is that even if we could afford to move to the Barrie area and my wife was willing to, she's still very ill. Moving just isn't an option.

So right now I'm still hopelessly hunting around for minimum wage jobs just hoping to get a foot in the door. I can't afford a car so I'm stuck at looking for jobs in the immediate area. Having no customer service experience really limits my opportunities. I tried a job agency but they're being snooty with me and aren't helping at all.

The situation is a little scary actually as the wife's running out of sick time very quickly and her long term disability stuff isn't going to be processed for a few months probably, leaving us in a great big financial hole. If I don't find something soon I really don't know what we'll do!

Sorry for the life story there, I needed to vent a little :)

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
On a lighter note, we headed over the Rainbow Bridge into the US the other day and had no issues with having been 'administratively refused' when I flagpoled. I mentioned it to the border guy and when filling out the green form I asked him if I should say 'yes' to the question that asks if I've ever been denied entry or whatever and he said no.

So there you go.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Korma said:
That'd be me. I really don't know what to do about the work situation. Still nothing yet.

My wife has an excellent government job in Orillia which we live 5 minutes away from. Whatever happens, she's not leaving that job as it would be incredibly difficult for her to get anything that pays close to what she earns now, plus she gets amazing benefits.

We could move to Barrie perhaps which is kind of mid way between Orillia and Toronto (a little closer to Orillia than Toronto I think), that way I could commute by car, although it would still be a very sucky drive. The Go train wouldn't be an option as the last train is very early and a programming job is prone to lots of overtime.

The problem is that even if we could afford to move to the Barrie area and my wife was willing to, she's still very ill. Moving just isn't an option.

So right now I'm still hopelessly hunting around for minimum wage jobs just hoping to get a foot in the door. I can't afford a car so I'm stuck at looking for jobs in the immediate area. Having no customer service experience really limits my opportunities. I tried a job agency but they're being snooty with me and aren't helping at all.

The situation is a little scary actually as the wife's running out of sick time very quickly and her long term disability stuff isn't going to be processed for a few months probably, leaving us in a great big financial hole. If I don't find something soon I really don't know what we'll do!

Sorry for the life story there, I needed to vent a little :)
sorry to hear that, hope your wife gets better quickly! finding work is hard indeed. Have you tried the "immigrants" program? there are lots of programs funded to help immigrants settled, and they might not be indicated for you (native english speaker etc) but you might get some ideas out of it, and also - a network, which is what you need to find work. I went to a few where I arrived, and of course most case workers were a bit at loss with what to do with me/for me, but eventually I went to a few workshops and started to create a network for myself...
About recruiters - there is no rule, and you can register with as many as you want... some are dodgy, but some are pretty good, so I hope that you find something really soon - hang in there, it will come!
Sweden

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Well, in yet another tragic turn for our lives my wife was made redundant today. The job that we rushed to this bloody city for in the first place. Effective immediately. She was doing her job well, but her boss can't afford her. And thanks to Ontario's wonderful labour laws, all she gets is 1 week of pay for redundancy. So now we're both jobless, and I probably won't get my COPR for another month because of the bloody strike. Good thing i've got a balcony. Nice and easy to jump off.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
DGT said:
Well, in yet another tragic turn for our lives my wife was made redundant today. The job that we rushed to this bloody city for in the first place. Effective immediately. She was doing her job well, but her boss can't afford her. And thanks to Ontario's wonderful labour laws, all she gets is 1 week of pay for redundancy. So now we're both jobless, and I probably won't get my COPR for another month because of the bloody strike. Good thing i've got a balcony. Nice and easy to jump off.
Sorry to hear that!! that's really hard indeed. Does she qualify for EI? I know it's not ideal, but it helps for a bit, and it's not welfare, so even with the sponsorship, that's allowed.
Hope that London sends the COPR soon enough so you can start working as well - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Hang in there!
Sweden

Aug 26, 2012
Well to make a long story short my interviewing officer rang me Friday afternoon to tell me my confirmation of permanent residence was ready to be picked up from the high commission! One last day in London with my family then I fly out tomorrow morning, can't wait to get there!