+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

BestKind

Dec 29, 2011
Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me posting here, since I have not applied yet but will be soon. I've poured over this forum and found so much helpful information that I couldn't have gotten from reading all kit information, especially within this thread.

I was hoping to get an opinion on my medical exam. I was only just able to get my FBI cert request out today, so, if all goes well (according to their stated processing time), then I expect it back at the beginning of March. I have completed most of the application paperwork and gotten together required materials. I called my local DMP a couple of weeks back and booked my exam for mid-January, however, in light of how long it might take for my police cert to come back, I wonder if I should push the exam out, so as not to risk my medicals expiring before the visa is issued or I land.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would you recommend waiting until I get the certs in to schedule the appointment or perhaps push the appointment back even just a month? Or should I just keep it? We're on a deadline of sorts (March 2013, though I'm not so sure we'll be able to meet it), so I don't want to dawdle.

Thanks in advance, and happy new year!

jacobsdennis

Oct 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-03-2011
Interview........
07-12-2011
Passport Req..
07-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
MizzCanAm said:
Finally!! Woo Hoo!! On December 6th I received an e-mail stating it was time to send in my passport for Visa Issuance. I sent it in a few days later and just received my passport back today in the mail with my COPR. The long, long wait is finally over. Now on to the landing process. Thank you everyone for their help and support during this process.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wish you and yours all the best in your new chapter of life together!!!

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
I would recommend doing your medicals last before you send in the application as that is what has the hard expiration date. The police certificate is good for three months, but apparently the clock stops on that once they get it. However, the clock on the medical results keeps running, although it's good for one year. Matter of fact, the local immigration office on my wife's side gave us that advice, and it seemed logical to us. :)
BestKind said:
Hi All,

I hope you don't mind me posting here, since I have not applied yet but will be soon. I've poured over this forum and found so much helpful information that I couldn't have gotten from reading all kit information, especially within this thread.

I was hoping to get an opinion on my medical exam. I was only just able to get my FBI cert request out today, so, if all goes well (according to their stated processing time), then I expect it back at the beginning of March. I have completed most of the application paperwork and gotten together required materials. I called my local DMP a couple of weeks back and booked my exam for mid-January, however, in light of how long it might take for my police cert to come back, I wonder if I should push the exam out, so as not to risk my medicals expiring before the visa is issued or I land.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would you recommend waiting until I get the certs in to schedule the appointment or perhaps push the appointment back even just a month? Or should I just keep it? We're on a deadline of sorts (March 2013, though I'm not so sure we'll be able to meet it), so I don't want to dawdle.

Thanks in advance, and happy new year!

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Congratulations, and good luck!

MizzCanAm said:
Finally!! Woo Hoo!! On December 6th I received an e-mail stating it was time to send in my passport for Visa Issuance. I sent it in a few days later and just received my passport back today in the mail with my COPR. The long, long wait is finally over. Now on to the landing process. Thank you everyone for their help and support during this process.

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Detroit, MI USA -> Sechelt, BC CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
mjh49783aa said:
I would recommend doing your medicals last before you send in the application as that is what has the hard expiration date. The police certificate is good for three months, but apparently the clock stops on that once they get it. However, the clock on the medical results keeps running, although it's good for one year. Matter of fact, the local immigration office on my wife's side gave us that advice, and it seemed logical to us. :)
Agreed.

But do not neglect to consider how long preparing the paperwork might take. Its a lot of work.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Indeed. It certainly took quite a bit of time just filling out the application itself on both the sponsor and applicant sides. (and then going through it again and again to be sure as possible that there's no errors) Then, there's the immigration pictures to take, proofs of a bona fide relationship to gather, the FBI clearance letter to get, from the fingerprint card that needs to be sent out in order to get that letter, the 'Option C' printout that your sponsor needs to get from Canada Revenue Agency for the last tax filing year, (which seems like a copy of a notice of assessment) and then the paper you get from the Designated Medical Examiner that needs to go into the application before it all goes to Mississauga.

I'm just mentioning that from the advice I was given, that it's recommended to do the medical appointment with the DMP last as those documents the CIC gets from the DMP are the most time sensitive, as apparently, the expiry date on your PR visa is based on the expiry date on the medical results from the DMP.

I don't know in what order you've put your application together, but that's what we did, and we don't seem to have any problems so far. There's probably more than one right way to do this in any case.

yooper said:
Agreed.

But do not neglect to consider how long preparing the paperwork might take. Its a lot of work.

BestKind

Dec 29, 2011
yooper said:
Agreed.

Thanks for the help to all who answered - I will push the exam back for sure. As for the paperwork/materials, I've got most of it all set - just really need to do the medical and get my FBI cert back.

It all certainly is a lot of work, but it's been easier so far compared to getting my then fiance and now husband into the US from Canada. My husband came into the States on a fiance visa, which we then had to convert (read: refile and add in more stuff) into a conditional permanent residency 90 days later, and let me tell you, the US gives you a run-around: it's so darn hard to get the information you need (for everything), and it's scattered all over the place. We're pretty convinced that the US does it like that to deter people from immigrating. It's also much more expensive (we dropped ~$3000.00 getting him here and keeping him here legally). Having gone through a visa application process before has also helped make it easier this time around, though. Thank goodness the CIC website spells it all out for you and is clear about how to get this and that and links everything together and all of the helpful information on this forum.

I'm sure I'll be back after filing - thanks so much again everyone, and best of luck with your application processes! :)

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
BestKind said:
Thanks for the help to all who answered - I will push the exam back for sure......Thank goodness the CIC website spells it all out for you and is clear about how to get this and that and links everything together and all of the helpful information on this forum.......
I've had my negative thoughts about the process here and there, but I do agree that CIC and the Government of Canada seem to be trying to do things right. There's a website?! And you can check application status? An on-line version of the application form now? And as I'm researching my wife's Canadian taxes and Social Insurance programs, I find that there are online accounts for residents? And the .gc website with a consistent approach across government departments? They're years ahead of the US.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Happy New Years everyone, I hope it brings those of you still waiting your long awaited COPR. :)

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Tell me about it! I've looked at the US immigration website and just got a freaking headache! They've definitely intended to make things as complicated there as governmentally possible! :eek:

It's like their approach to immigration is: 'Hey! Let's give people such a major run-around that they'll either get a lawyer to help sort this mess out, or else they just give up!' It's almost as though the only thing that is consistent, is all the inconsistency. I imagine that the only department in my government that's worse than that, would be the IRS. (I'd say Congress is the worst, but that's a branch and not a department. LOL)

At least with CIC, they at least make it possible for a couple to figure it out, without having to shell out $$$$ for either a lawyer, or an immigration consultant to help sort it all out.

yooper said:
I've had my negative thoughts about the process here and there, but I do agree that CIC and the Government of Canada seem to be trying to do things right. There's a website?! And you can check application status? An on-line version of the application form now? And as I'm researching my wife's Canadian taxes and Social Insurance programs, I find that there are online accounts for residents? And the .gc website with a consistent approach across government departments? They're years ahead of the US.

mlag76

Aug 4, 2011
Question re: change in status of application

Hi all,

Thanks for the great information here! I am an American, wife Canadian, and we applied through Buffalo. The office received the application on June 21/11, also receiving my medicals. Recently (Dec. 22), my client application status moved to "in process." What does this mean? (I assume, in part, this means that human eyes are now reviewing the applications), and what happens from here? In normal situations, what is the timeline from this point forward? Thank you all for your help!

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
Re: Question re: change in status of application

mlag76 said:
Hi all,

Thanks for the great information here! I am an American, wife Canadian, and we applied through Buffalo. The office received the application on June 21/11, also receiving my medicals. Recently (Dec. 22), my client application status moved to "in process." What does this mean? (I assume, in part, this means that human eyes are now reviewing the applications), and what happens from here? In normal situations, what is the timeline from this point forward? Thank you all for your help!
Many experiences differ. So I don't think you can think of a 'timeline'.

My experience was that I went 'in process' in early November, then received 'passport request' in early December. Around a month. I was a June applicant as well, 16 Jun I think.

What does this mean? Who knows. But take it as a good sign. I remember being mostly relieved. Any change at least means it isn't just sitting somewhere gathering dust.

mlag76

Aug 4, 2011

Thanks for your help! You're right, there is great variation in the timelines. I guess what I would like to ask is, what's next? What does "passport request" mean in practical terms? (Presently, I am in Canada with my wife on a tourist visa.) And what follows that? I've searched several forums, and I am just have a little trouble uncovering the next few stages. I guess I'm just eager to get my PR! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011

mlag76 said:
Thanks for your help! You're right, there is great variation in the timelines. I guess what I would like to ask is, what's next? What does "passport request" mean in practical terms? (Presently, I am in Canada with my wife on a tourist visa.) And what follows that? I've searched several forums, and I am just have a little trouble uncovering the next few stages. I guess I'm just eager to get my PR! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
PPR or Passport Request is when the appropriate visa office requests that you mail them your passport so they can insert the 'permanent resident' visa stamp. (Note that as of 1 Dec 2011 this is changing a bit). This is the indication that they've processed your application for PR and have accepted it.

When they request, you send them your passport through the mail. They return it to you with a visa stamp and instructions on how to 'land' in Canada. That then allows you to go to the border and 'land'. At the landing (which I haven't yet done), it appears that the border officer asks you some specific questions to verify information on the application and to confirm that nothing has changed. I think this starts the process to get your PR card. Once landed, you are a permanent resident and can live, leave, reenter and work pretty much as a citizen can. (Anyone else, please elaborate on my simple understanding.)

As regards the visa stamp changes, there's a lot elsewhere on this thread about that. After 1 Dec they were going to do away with the need to send in the passport, and just have the border officer pull up information on their computer. They seem to be in transition. I was asked to send in passport after 1 Dec. I received a form called a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence). I did not receive a visa stamp. I'm to take the COPR to the border and 'land'.

canuckofchicago

Jul 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2011
Doc's Request.
06-10-2011
AOR Received.
08-07-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone had a good holiday and I wish that everyone gets their PPR's shortly (they have our RPRF receipt since Nov 9th and posted since Nov 22nd). I do have a question what are these changes that occured as of December 1st which people are writing about? I can't find any information on it.

My wife plan on driving to Buffalo to get her PPR in her passport and then land, but do these new regulations change this?

Thanks,