waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
MizzCanAm said:
Finally!! Woo Hoo!! On December 6th I received an e-mail stating it was time to send in my passport for Visa Issuance. I sent it in a few days later and just received my passport back today in the mail with my COPR. The long, long wait is finally over. Now on to the landing process. Thank you everyone for their help and support during this process.
Congrats! I'm still waiting on Buffalo to send my passport back. I'm going to have to start pestering them again this week I guess if the tracking number isn't activated. Sigh. Buffalo - consistently frustrating from beginning to end.

Anyway, happy New Year everyone!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, how many working days have they had it for already?
AmericaninQuebec said:
Congrats! I'm still waiting on Buffalo to send my passport back. I'm going to have to start pestering them again this week I guess if the tracking number isn't activated. Sigh. Buffalo - consistently frustrating from beginning to end.

Anyway, happy New Year everyone!

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Wow, how many working days have they had it for already?
I just counted it out, and if you include Dec. 8th (the day it was delivered to Fort Erie) then it's been 15 working days. If you don't include the day it was delivered then they've still got one more working day. Their instructions don't say to add extra time if sent to Fort Erie so I'm going to hold them to the 15 working day turn around time they quote, and send them an inquiry on Wednesday if my tracking number hasn't been activated yet. ::)

mojoliveshere

Jun 20, 2011
PDF Problem? IMM 0008, Question 14

Hello,

My wife and I are completing our application and are struggling with inputing information into the space for Q. 14, IMM 0008. We are unable to input a date of last entry when we write that her country of residence in the United States (it will only accept text if we list Canada as her country of residence...which it isn't). Has anyone else experienced this?? Can anyone recommend a program that is more successful than Adobe Reader?

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
^ I'd suggest writing it down or, if you think it may be illegible if too small, a separate sheet of paper identifying what you're answering.

mojoliveshere

Jun 20, 2011
Bargeld said:
^ I'd suggest writing it down or, if you think it may be illegible if too small, a separate sheet of paper identifying what you're answering.
Thanks for the response Bargeld. I should have mentioned in my original post that this form requires verification which will not occur unless we complete all fields required. So frustrating!

mlag76

Aug 4, 2011
Re: Question re: change in status of application

Wow! Thanks for the help. Really clears up a rather muddy process for us!

yooper said:
PPR or Passport Request is when the appropriate visa office requests that you mail them your passport so they can insert the 'permanent resident' visa stamp. (Note that as of 1 Dec 2011 this is changing a bit). This is the indication that they've processed your application for PR and have accepted it.

When they request, you send them your passport through the mail. They return it to you with a visa stamp and instructions on how to 'land' in Canada. That then allows you to go to the border and 'land'. At the landing (which I haven't yet done), it appears that the border officer asks you some specific questions to verify information on the application and to confirm that nothing has changed. I think this starts the process to get your PR card. Once landed, you are a permanent resident and can live, leave, reenter and work pretty much as a citizen can. (Anyone else, please elaborate on my simple understanding.)

As regards the visa stamp changes, there's a lot elsewhere on this thread about that. After 1 Dec they were going to do away with the need to send in the passport, and just have the border officer pull up information on their computer. They seem to be in transition. I was asked to send in passport after 1 Dec. I received a form called a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence). I did not receive a visa stamp. I'm to take the COPR to the border and 'land'.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
I just counted it out, and if you include Dec. 8th (the day it was delivered to Fort Erie) then it's been 15 working days. If you don't include the day it was delivered then they've still got one more working day. Their instructions don't say to add extra time if sent to Fort Erie so I'm going to hold them to the 15 working day turn around time they quote, and send them an inquiry on Wednesday if my tracking number hasn't been activated yet. ::)
Mind you we were Transferred to LA...but our tracking number back did not activate at all, it just showed up in our mailbox....hopefully tomorrow or Wed it will show up, as there was no mail today!!!

*EDIT* Also, we noticed that ECas updated to Decision Made on the same day the visa was issued...not sure if thats a coincidence or not...

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Stumpedmom said:
Mind you we were Transferred to LA...but our tracking number back did not activate at all, it just showed up in our mailbox....hopefully tomorrow or Wed it will show up, as there was no mail today!!!

*EDIT* Also, we noticed that ECas updated to Decision Made on the same day the visa was issued...not sure if thats a coincidence or not...
I feel like someone else mentioned recently that their tracking number was also never activated. Fingers crossed it comes tomorrow or Wednesday. Mine changed to decision made a couple of weeks ago (I think the week before Christmas was when I checked it last and saw that on there). Hopefully that means it's all done and in transit now. :)

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
Was just wondering who has gotten there drivers license redone In Canada.Did you have to take the intire driveing test to get your license or just renew your existing license to get your Canadian drivers license.Just wondering because y US license expires next month so Im depateing to fly back home to renew them or wait a few more weeks to see if I get my PPR (wishful thinking).

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Calgary-Bound said:
Was just wondering who has gotten there drivers license redone In Canada.Did you have to take the intire driveing test to get your license or just renew your existing license to get your Canadian drivers license.Just wondering because y US license expires next month so Im depateing to fly back home to renew them or wait a few more weeks to see if I get my PPR (wishful thinking).
You should call the DMV (well the Canadian equivalent, but I don't know the abbreviation outside of QC) for Alberta and ask them directly. I spoke with the SAAQ here in QC last month, and they said I have a full year to switch my driver's license once I have my residency. I also found out that they only have 1 day a month when you can meet with the right person to switch the license from a U.S. license to a QC one, at which time I have to present my residency paperwork, driving history, driver's license, etc. I have to call and make an appointment, and it may be a month or two wait time.

You should definitely check with them in Alberta if you can just go in and get it done 1-2-3 or if it's going to take you more time. Personally if I were you I'd contact the DMV of your home state and see if you can renew from a distance. I was able to renew the registration on my car from Canada last year, something they don't mention is possible unless you call directly. It was an exception normally used by military personnel living abroad, but available to all citizens abroad. You might find that you don't actually have to fly home to renew your license.

I'd definitely keep your license valid though. I would assume that they are much less likely to waive a driving and/or written test if you don't have a valid driver's license to exchange.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
I'm still in the process of changing my drivers license. Initially when I went into DriveTest they verified I had been driving for over 10 years and held a valid license, but when they took my license and started the trade process their system wouldn't accept a trade for a reason they couldn't figure out (neither could I), so now I'm waiting on the state of California to return my driving record thru snail mail.

It's made me rather nervous because I have no idea how long I really have to do so, I landed October 20th, and I read somewhere before I landed that I had 3 months in Ontario to swap, but am not sure since I keep reading different figures. I'm also nervous about why they'd reject a swap and if it means there's something wrong with my license.

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Detroit, MI USA -> Sechelt, BC CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
Question on taxes & residency:

Its clear to me that the US IRS continues to tax US Citizens resident in Canada (as well as anywhere else).

But what is the situation w/ state taxes? Does your last state of residence have a claim?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
yooper said:
Question on taxes & residency:

Its clear to me that the US IRS continues to tax US Citizens resident in Canada (as well as anywhere else).

But what is the situation w/ state taxes? Does your last state of residence have a claim?
From a quick google search it appears generally that as long as you officially change your residency (i.e. change driver's license, address, etc.) and you're no longer earning money in that state (i.e. no rental properties still earning you income there) then the state will have no tax claims. I think a fair number of states charge income tax based on income earned there instead of residency anyway, but even if you're in one of the states that basis it on residency you should be fine once you officially land and move to Canada. Of course you'll still have to file a state tax return if you worked for any part of the year there before you moved.

veronica.law

Star Member
Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>>>Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2011
Doc's Request.
08-03-2012 HK Police Check
AOR Received.
05-01-2011
File Transfer...
15-02-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2011>>> Detroit
After 5 months that I hv sent out my application. I finally received my AOR today jan3,2012. Stated that they have already received my application on August 9. (what a delay) haha
So I have a question, after I have received the AOR how long approximately I will get the file in process?