Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Okay, so random bit of information I wanted to pass on for anyone else coming to QC. I was freaking out because I haven't been able to get to Montreal to the office of the RAMQ to register for health insurance in QC. I called them this afternoon about getting the necessary forms (since they won't let you download them online), and I had a nice conversation with the woman on the phone (in English since I felt like being 100% certain I understood her). Turns out the 3 mth waiting period starts from the first time you call the RAMQ and open a file with them. Apparently after our phone call today the 3 mth clock has started, and the best part is that it isn't even a full 3 mths that I will have to wait. Apparently I will be covered by the RAMQ as of April 1, 2012, as long as I get all of my documentation back to them by March 4th. In the mean time they're sending me the required forms, and told me what other documentation to gather to bring to their satellite office in my region. Definitely a relief, since I thought that the 3 mth clock didn't start until you'd actually done your registration and submitted the required forms.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along so that no one else sits around waiting to contact the RAMQ just because they can't get to the office in person right away!

Now all that's left (I think) is to export/import my car, register it and get my driver's license changed. So close, yet so far. Haha.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing that. So what exactly are all of the forms that you need to provide before you get to start waiting? I assume the COPR is one so it's not like we can get this started while we're waiting for mail from Buffalo with our passports back. You're right, it does suck. Thankfully I'm not a big consumer of healthcare.
AmericaninQuebec said:
Okay, so random bit of information I wanted to pass on for anyone else coming to QC. I was freaking out because I haven't been able to get to Montreal to the office of the RAMQ to register for health insurance in QC. I called them this afternoon about getting the necessary forms (since they won't let you download them online), and I had a nice conversation with the woman on the phone (in English since I felt like being 100% certain I understood her). Turns out the 3 mth waiting period starts from the first time you call the RAMQ and open a file with them. Apparently after our phone call today the 3 mth clock has started, and the best part is that it isn't even a full 3 mths that I will have to wait. Apparently I will be covered by the RAMQ as of April 1, 2012, as long as I get all of my documentation back to them by March 4th. In the mean time they're sending me the required forms, and told me what other documentation to gather to bring to their satellite office in my region. Definitely a relief, since I thought that the 3 mth clock didn't start until you'd actually done your registration and submitted the required forms.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along so that no one else sits around waiting to contact the RAMQ just because they can't get to the office in person right away!

Now all that's left (I think) is to export/import my car, register it and get my driver's license changed. So close, yet so far. Haha.

Moonlightprancer

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo Outland application
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
O7-11-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011
File Transfer...
19-01-2012 to Seattle
Med's Done....
15-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2012
Well we had an exciting early Christmas present for 2011! After waiting only a month we received first stage approval for sponsorship for our Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application (OUTLAND)!!! I noticed the application wait times show longer on the website. I was relieved to get the confirmation letter after only a month! This means our Immigration package has been sent to Buffalo and we can wait for the second stage to be approved!!

Has anyone else noticed the application times are running faster than shown on the website?? This is great news for us Buffalo applicants!!

I am Canadian living on the West Coast, Spouse is American from GA. He arrived as a visitor (6 months) as of June 18th 2011 and we submitted a application to extend visitor status Nov 17th 2011 and received a letter back Dec 18, 2011 back approving the extension for visitor visa (+6 months ). Hopefully we will hear back before having to apply to extend again.

Meds: Aug 2011
FBI: May 2011 ( then realizing they had to be submitted within 3 months of filing we had to apply for more FBI checks... now in progress)
Immigration package sent : Nov 15 2011
Sponsor Approved: Dec 15 2011
Packaged transfered to Buffalo: Dec 18th 2011
Second FBI forms requested Dec 27th 2011 (waiting for FBI to send them back )

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Thanks for sharing that. So what exactly are all of the forms that you need to provide before you get to start waiting? I assume the COPR is one so it's not like we can get this started while we're waiting for mail from Buffalo with our passports back. You're right, it does suck. Thankfully I'm not a big consumer of healthcare.
Actually none if you call. All she asked for was my name, address, date of birth and phone number. Plus she asked if she was married and for my husband's information. That starts the clock. I should receive the actual registration form in the mail in about 7 days. Then I have to bring that, my CSQ, my COPR and my proof of residence with me to the local CLS office to submit all of the forms and have my photos taken (fyi $8 fee for the photos). The woman on the phone was unfamiliar with the fact that they have stopped issuing counterfoils, so she said I should also write a letter explaining why I do not have a visa in my passport, because normally they need to see that as well. I'll probably write a short explanation, as well as bring the sheet I got with my COPR explaining the lack of counterfoil.

The biggest hassle is the fact that I have no real proof of residence right now. So we either have to switch a utility bill into my name asap or get a sworn statement from my mother-in-law (the technical owner of the house, though we pay for everything) that I do indeed reside here.

ETA: They do ask for the date on which you became a landed permanent resident, so you can't start the process until you land since I'm sure they'll confirm the date you give them with the one on your COPR when they finally see it.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very nice. I'm surprised to hear that because my observations have been that the step 1 processing times are pretty standard. Maybe next update it will go waaaay down from the current 68 days. Or maybe you just got lucky and had your app jump the line. Congrats and good luck, as the real wait starts now :)
Moonlightprancer said:
Well we had an exciting early Christmas present for 2011! After waiting only a month we received first stage approval for sponsorship for our Canadian Spouse Sponsorship application (OUTLAND)!!! I noticed the application wait times show longer on the website. I was relieved to get the confirmation letter after only a month! This means our Immigration package has been sent to Buffalo and we can wait for the second stage to be approved!!

Has anyone else noticed the application times are running faster than shown on the website?? This is great news for us Buffalo applicants!!

I am Canadian living on the West Coast, Spouse is American from GA. He arrived as a visitor (6 months) as of June 18th 2011 and we submitted a application to extend visitor status Nov 17th 2011 and received a letter back Dec 18, 2011 back approving the extension for visitor visa (+6 months ). Hopefully we will hear back before having to apply to extend again.

Meds: Aug 2011
FBI: May 2011 ( then realizing they had to be submitted within 3 months of filing we had to apply for more FBI checks... now in progress)
Immigration package sent : Nov 15 2011
Sponsor Approved: Dec 15 2011
Packaged transfered to Buffalo: Dec 18th 2011
Second FBI forms requested Dec 27th 2011 (waiting for FBI to send them back )

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, that explains quite a lot :) Bummer about the proof of residence. I guess in this rare instance the renters are more fortunate, as it's relatively easy to make a visit to the landlord or leasing office and add one's name to the lease (what we did months and months ago). But I think a sworn written statement by the owner of the house that you live there is totally fine as far as legal proof (lol, you would know better as you're the lawyer). Don't think the fact she's a family member should matter. A sworn statement like that is what CIC accepts for proof of common-law relationships (they have sample wording in one of their forms). I'm surprised you don't have anything else you could use because my impression is you've been in-country for a bit (cellphone bill or bank statement, for instance?)
AmericaninQuebec said:
Actually none if you call. All she asked for was my name, address, date of birth and phone number. Plus she asked if she was married and for my husband's information. That starts the clock. I should receive the actual registration form in the mail in about 7 days. Then I have to bring that, my CSQ, my COPR and my proof of residence with me to the local CLS office to submit all of the forms and have my photos taken (fyi $8 fee for the photos). The woman on the phone was unfamiliar with the fact that they have stopped issuing counterfoils, so she said I should also write a letter explaining why I do not have a visa in my passport, because normally they need to see that as well. I'll probably write a short explanation, as well as bring the sheet I got with my COPR explaining the lack of counterfoil.

The biggest hassle is the fact that I have no real proof of residence right now. So we either have to switch a utility bill into my name asap or get a sworn statement from my mother-in-law (the technical owner of the house, though we pay for everything) that I do indeed reside here.

ETA: They do ask for the date on which you became a landed permanent resident, so you can't start the process until you land since I'm sure they'll confirm the date you give them with the one on your COPR when they finally see it.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Thanks, that explains quite a lot :) Bummer about the proof of residence. I guess in this rare instance the renters are more fortunate, as it's relatively easy to make a visit to the landlord or leasing office and add one's name to the lease (what we did months and months ago). But I think a sworn written statement by the owner of the house that you live there is totally fine as far as legal proof (lol, you would know better as you're the lawyer). Don't think the fact she's a family member should matter. A sworn statement like that is what CIC accepts for proof of common-law relationships (they have sample wording in one of their forms). I'm surprised you don't have anything else you could use because my impression is you've been in-country for a bit (cellphone bill or bank statement, for instance?)
You can't use a bank statement, and I doubt a cell phone bill would work either since they want utility bills that are tied to the place of residence. There was no need to change the name on the utility bills, since they were all in place by the time I moved up here. The sworn letter is actually what the woman from the RAMQ told me to do, so I'm certain it will be fine. Actually my husband could have done it if his name was on the deed, but for tax purposes they only put his mom's name down even though it's more his/our house than hers. Anyway, slight hiccup, but we'll get it worked out. :)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great. Not that I would need it as evidence, but why exactly would a bank statement or cell phone bill that was sent in your name to your address in Quebec not suffice? Obviously it's not the same thing as a lease or deed on a home or utility bills but kinda convincing that if you've got a bank account AND a contract with a Canadian cellphone company, you're in Canada.
AmericaninQuebec said:
You can't use a bank statement, and I doubt a cell phone bill would work either since they want utility bills that are tied to the place of residence. There was no need to change the name on the utility bills, since they were all in place by the time I moved up here. The sworn letter is actually what the woman from the RAMQ told me to do, so I'm certain it will be fine. Actually my husband could have done it if his name was on the deed, but for tax purposes they only put his mom's name down even though it's more his/our house than hers. Anyway, slight hiccup, but we'll get it worked out. :)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
ddobro2 said:
Great. Not that I would need it as evidence, but why exactly would a bank statement or cell phone bill that was sent in your name to your address in Quebec not suffice? Obviously it's not the same thing as a lease or deed on a home or utility bills but kinda convincing that if you've got a bank account AND a contract with a Canadian cellphone company, you're in Canada.
You'd think, but according to their list it's not good enough. http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoyens/assurancemaladie/arriver/preuves_residence.shtml

I suppose you could argue that a cell phone bill is a telephone bill, but I have a suspicion that they would not agree. Either way it still doesn't work for me since the bill is in my husband's name! Sworn affidavit it is. :)

bbiery

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2011
Doc's Request.
5-3-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2011
Med's Request
08-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-09-2011
Passport Req..
26-04-2012/Decision Made 14-05-2012
AmericaninQuebec said:
Quebec must be strict. In Ontario all I had to bring was a letter from work stating I had been there 3 months. This was during my work permit though, haven't received PR yet.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apparently 6 is the magic number for Quebec. The list looks thorough enough to me, actually. It's supposed to be a *bit* harder than getting a library card, after all. It's nice they have that form for the sworn affidavit included.
bbiery said:
Quebec must be strict. In Ontario all I had to bring was a letter from work stating I had been there 3 months. This was during my work permit though, haven't received PR yet.

V

viictus

Hi. My wife and I are preparing to apply for my PR. We are applying outland through buffalo. Should I get my medicals done before we send in the application or should I wait? I know they are only good for 12 months and I don't want them to expire during the application process. One other thing, I only have a passport card. Will this suffice or will I need a passport book for the process? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
viictus said:
Hi. My wife and I are preparing to apply for my PR. We are applying outland through buffalo. Should I get my medicals done before we send in the application or should I wait? I know they are only good for 12 months and I don't want them to expire during the application process. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You should absolutely have the medicals done before you send in the application....this makes the processing time go faster....Do you have a routine application or one with complications?

V

viictus

What would be considered complications? I have three children that will not be accompanying me but other than that I believe we will be a standard spousal sponsorship.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
One potential complication is that when it comes to children, you'll still have to have them declared and examined, whether they'll land with you in Canada, or not. First off, it will preserve your ability to sponsor them in the future. And secondly, you could find yourself in some serious trouble with CIC as they'll consider it as falsifying your application if you don't declare your children.

Another potential complication is whether or not you have a good working relationship with the other parent, or parents, of your children, (as I don't know your specific situation) and whether they'll allow you to take these children to Canada, or wherever else you decide to take these children, to get their medical examination.

Those would be the things that I would be considering if I was in your place.
viictus said:
What would be considered complications? I have three children that will not be accompanying me but other than that I believe we will be a standard spousal sponsorship.