Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Not directly related to immigration, but I needed to share with someone. I have been randomly sending out my CV every so often in the hopes of snagging a job interview so that I'll have something in place when I get my residency. I had given up hope hearing back from any of them. Then today I got a call on my cell, and it was in response to a CV I'd sent out 2 mths ago! I have a phone interview set up for Monday, and the best part is that the woman on the phone told me that I could do the interview in English (even though I speak enough French to probably do it in French now), because the person I will be speaking with is Anglophone. :D

I wonder if maybe there was a backlog in the karma department somewhere (not just at Buffalo), but I finally feel like everything is coming up Millhouse this month.

Sorry to post this here, and I hope you don't mind me sharing!

gypsy494

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2011
AOR Received.
08-11-2011
File Transfer...
24-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-10-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
21-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2012
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
FAB NEWS AmericaninQuebec !!

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11

I dont think you can do that. As there has been even cases when the US refuses such a simple request to allow applicants go for interview. That said, If he is refused by the states an entry visa for interview, explain the visa office and ask to conduct the interview in his/her home country visa office.

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
I got my aor from buffalo at the end of august and havent heard anything since, so im thinking of sending proof that I've been here in Canada since september first,and maybe that'll get them moving. anyone know what the email is and what i put as the subject etc, i have a stamp in my passport, but how do i prove that its my passport? maybe with my bus ticket stub. thanks for the help.

Mark5

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
prophet3 said:
I dont think you can do that. As there has been even cases when the US refuses such a simple request to allow applicants go for interview. That said, If he is refused by the states an entry visa for interview, explain the visa office and ask to conduct the interview in his/her home country visa office.
Thanks but is it possible to inform buffalo at this point to transfer the interview to hes home country just or to a Visa office incanada?

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
Mark5 said:
Thanks but is it possible to inform buffalo at this point to transfer the interview to hes home country just or to a Visa office incanada?
You could provide reasons why your partner is having trouble obtaining visa to enter the US, and then ask if it is possible to transfer. But may be you should do that as a last resort if US refuses entry.

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
Mark5 said:
Also, You guys filed you application in Feb 2010 or 2011?
And did you send enough supporting documents?

NYQUE

May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2011
AOR Received.
03-08-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
25-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-04-2012
LANDED..........
25-04-2012
Hello all!

Well I just wanted to give an update of my case, back in August I received a letter stating that a personal interview will be required and will be held at Buffalo.

It's been 4 months since that letter and now e-cas is showing my Interview will be held on April 25, 2012.

Total time between receiving the first letter and when the interview will be held is... a little more of 8 months, BTW we filed my application back in April of this year.

I have been in Canada since August and will remain in Canada until the day of the Interview hoping everything will be fine. I also requested my GCMS notes and hoping to get them first week of January (I have requested them twice and always got them within the 30 days time frame).

At least knowing the day of the interview is something, I will keep posted if any other event occurs.

Happy Holidays to all!

B.

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Detroit, MI USA -> Sechelt, BC CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
seattlegirl said:
I had no idea! I checked out CBSA also (wasn't second guessing you, I promise ::) )

I'm thinking I will just hold on to my passport. I was refused entry and issued an exclusion order 3 years ago, so each time I cross the border they pull me into their really neat private office and give me the gears. I'm a nervous wreck each time I cross now so I'll carry it as my security blanket. Better over prepared than under, I've learned the hard way.

Excellent to know I can just carry my nexus card in the future though!

We will be driving across, does any one have any insight on bringing a dog with? Any helpful advice?
Just remember that different rules apply to each country. There are two complete sets of rules. The US grants entry based on their rules, and Canada on theirs.

Canada may not require a passport of US Citizens, but the US itself does. Thus for the most part, A US Citizen can't leave Canada without a passport.

(Note: everything I'm saying here is just my understanding. Your mileage may vary. And there are ways to work around the rules. Also note that for land/sea crossings you can alternately use a WHTI document, such as Nexus, Passport Card, or enhanced driver's license.)

Mark5

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
prophet3 said:
Also, You guys filed you application in Feb 2010 or 2011?
And did you send enough supporting documents?
Yes we did send supporting document but not enough bcos we never thought about providing too many
proof since we know that our relationship is genuine but i have a feeling maybe bcos my hubby is not Visa
exempt country. Despite on the GCMS note everything seen alright but they just shock us wit interview.
Anyways we will try to get him a US visa but if is not granted then we can contact them. Thanks

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
kourts said:
I got my aor from buffalo at the end of august and havent heard anything since, so im thinking of sending proof that I've been here in Canada since september first,and maybe that'll get them moving. anyone know what the email is and what i put as the subject etc, i have a stamp in my passport, but how do i prove that its my passport? maybe with my bus ticket stub. thanks for the help.
I don't think they'll pay any attention to that. Sorry to say. I was in Canada from before I sent in my application, and it took me about 10 mths to get my PPR, which while within the 11 mth timeframe listed as the average processing time seems to be longer than most people applying through Buffalo wait. You should at least update your mailing address with them if you plan on being in Canada for the rest of the process, but I don't think the fact that you're already here will have any bearing on how quickly they treat your appliction especially since it's considered your responsibility, not CIC's, to make sure you maintain legal status while you're here.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
yooper said:
Just remember that different rules apply to each country. There are two complete sets of rules. The US grants entry based on their rules, and Canada on theirs.

Canada may not require a passport of US Citizens, but the US itself does. Thus for the most part, A US Citizen can't leave Canada without a passport.

(Note: everything I'm saying here is just my understanding. Your mileage may vary. And there are ways to work around the rules. Also note that for land/sea crossings you can alternately use a WHTI document, such as Nexus, Passport Card, or enhanced driver's license.)
Official policy is as you state, though when I spoke with a border guard on the phone last week I was informed that they could not deny entry to a U.S. citizen if he/she had other supporting documentation (driver's license with photo + birth certificate, etc.) that proved his/her citizenship. This is the second time I've been told by the U.S. border guards at the U.S./Canadian border (land crossing only) that they cannot deny entry to a U.S. citizen. You're right, better to travel with one of the stated documents, but apparently it's not the end of the world in terms of re-entry if you don't have one of them.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I replied via PM.
NYQUE said:
Hello all!

Well I just wanted to give an update of my case, back in August I received a letter stating that a personal interview will be required and will be held at Buffalo.

It's been 4 months since that letter and now e-cas is showing my Interview will be held on April 25, 2012.

Total time between receiving the first letter and when the interview will be held is... a little more of 8 months, BTW we filed my application back in April of this year.

I have been in Canada since August and will remain in Canada until the day of the Interview hoping everything will be fine. I also requested my GCMS notes and hoping to get them first week of January (I have requested them twice and always got them within the 30 days time frame).

At least knowing the day of the interview is something, I will keep posted if any other event occurs.

Happy Holidays to all!

B.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure what your rationale is regarding showing the visa office you've been inside the country for some time causing them to "move" on your file. There's really no relationship there, and if anything, CIC technically prioritizes family reunification so the fact that you're with your spouse might put you at a lesser priority with them.
kourts said:

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
I wasn't trying to say that me being in Canada would make them work on my file any faster, I'm saying that maybe if i send additional proof then maybe it'll get them to look at my file or something.