+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
I have a question regarding sending our application to sponsor and PR through Buffalo. My wife and I both live in Canada with me being a Canadian Citizen. I will be sponsoring her and due to the shorter time line we have decided to go outland. According to CIC's website it does say that processing time for step 1 is 37 days. Does this mean we should recieve first stage approval by about 37 days and if my spouse applied for an open work permit at the same time she would be granted that open work permit ? I apologize if this question has been covered in this thread already but it is a lengthy thread and I have tried reading as much of it as I can.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Rob21,

Unfortunately that's not correct. If you go the outland route, your wife will be able to work once the entire process has been successfully completed (both step 1 and step 2) and she has landed in Canada (she can apply for a SIN as soon a she lands).

The open work permit is only available after step 1 for inland applications. As I'm sure you've seen, step 1 for inland applications takes approximately 8-9 months to complete.

kerianne

Jul 24, 2010
CANADA :)
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
November 18, 2010
AOR Received.
August 6, 2010
File Transfer...
June 1, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 21, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2011
LANDED..........
April 29, 2011
MexiCana: Thanks! I totally agree. I had my meltdown (for the hundreth time now lol) last night. It's so tough with everything going on. Completely frustrating, plus I think I'm coming down with a cold :( Time for some tea and a nice relaxing day off!

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
scylla said:
Hi Rob21,

Unfortunately that's not correct. If you go the outland route, your wife will be able to work once the entire process has been successfully completed (both step 1 and step 2) and she has landed in Canada (she can apply for a SIN as soon a she lands).

The open work permit is only available after step 1 for inland applications. As I'm sure you've seen, step 1 for inland applications takes approximately 8-9 months to complete.
OK. I understand now. Looks like the inland route may be the best way then as she has an open work permit rigth now and if we apply through inland then she can continue to work on "implied status". Thank you very much.

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
Well, it depends rob21. Many people applying through Buffalo have their entire applications determined in less than the 8-9 months it takes to get through the first stage of inland applications.

My case was slower than most, but if we had not made a mistake with a document (now we're just waiting about a zillion years for a govt office to get another one for us), we would have had PR in mid-October, or six months for the whole thing from start to finish.

Another thing to consider is that if you are rejected inland there is no right to appeal.

How did she obtain an open work permit? Did she graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution after April 2008? Very few people are eligible for open work permits.

If you apply through Buffalo she will still have implied status while her work permit renewal is considered. Whether you apply outland or inland, you will need to submit a renewal application to Vegreville before the permit expires. We did this with my spouse, but in our case we extended the visa and changed it from work permit to visitor. I don't think where your sponsorship application is being processed would have any bearing on whether it is renewed.

Renewing the permit she already has is a different issue from the application for an open work permit that most people include in their inland applications. You are going to need to apply for an extension of her permit whether you go inland or outland. Just submitting a PR application inland will NOT give your spouse implied status on her current work permit.

R

robrod

Not sure what conditions that work permit has, Rob21.
Mine came with a validity date and so in turn my SIN card. It clearly stated "not valid after xxxx" for both of them... so I don't think employers care about implied statuses, they care about cards and permits being valid at face value... that's my 2 cents for this situation, of course...
Best of luck!.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
jancath410 said:
How do I forward my husbands mail from a US address to a Canadian address through USPS? I tried going to their website and it only accepts a US forwarding address but I remember someone saying that mail can be forwarded to a Canadian address.
We went through this, but we forgot to do it while we were still in the U.S. The quickest and easiest way is to take your request in person to any U.S. post office. You can't forward internationally online. What we finally did was to send the domestic form with a letter to my partner's father who then took it to his local U.S. post office. That worked out fine.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
jancath410 said:
Hi,

I'm asking this question on this thread as there are many of us that are on the same situation....How do I forward my husbands mail from a US address to a Canadian address through USPS? I tried going to their website and it only accepts a US forwarding address but I remember someone saying that mail can be forwarded to a Canadian address. It'll save us time and such. Thanks!
Have a friend or family member in the US pick up a moving packet at any post office and fill the card for you. You can't do forwarding to an international address from the USPS website, but you can do it by completing a card. My mother did it for me.

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
;D So I FINALLY got an e-mail from Buffalo about my interview. I have been waiting 1 month and 1 day for this. It has been stressing me out because now I am over 28weeks pregnant and I have concerns about traveling 10hrs by car to get to Buffalo when I am 36 or more weeks pregnant
so here is the e-mail
An interview has been scheduled for you to appear in Buffalo NY on:

January 31, 2011 at 1:00 pm

A letter has been sent to the mailing address on our file, advising you of the details regarding this interview.

The mailing address that we have on file is:

xxxxxx

Canadian Consulate General, Buffalo New York

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
jmni1 said:
;D So I FINALLY got an e-mail from Buffalo about my interview. I have been waiting 1 month and 1 day for this. It has been stressing me out because now I am over 28weeks pregnant and I have concerns about traveling 10hrs by car to get to Buffalo when I am 36 or more weeks pregnant
so here is the e-mail

A letter has been sent to the mailing address on our file, advising you of the details regarding this interview.

xxxxxx

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca
Well atleast they are making progress, it sux tho that you have to travel that far so far into your pregnancy. Best of Luck during the interview!!

S

SaugaBoss

jmni1 said:
so here is the e-mail

xxxxxx

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca
thats good!! hopefully they will issue u the PR card right away. Good luck i know it must be hard traveling far under so much stress for an interview while being pregnant! i didnt think buffalo was an interview site so maybe they will issue it

Dralon

Apr 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
AOR Received.
01-06-2010
Med's Done....
23-11-2009
Passport Req..
28-02-2010
To all of those that have been following my case well here a little update.. officially they never got the CSQ until (my mp confused me) the 10 or 28th of november... we have to give them 30-60 days to start processing...

sadly our medical as you know is expired and the FBI will by mid january... i in my best estimate expect if we are lucky that my wife will come by early-mid spring... Apparently immigration Quebec never sent anything

so i doubt i will be around much for the next month, i have to call my mp representative by mid january

so to all of you i wish in advance Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.. may all of you receive quick response and be reunited with your better half soon

kerianne

Jul 24, 2010
CANADA :)
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
November 18, 2010
AOR Received.
August 6, 2010
File Transfer...
June 1, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 21, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2011
LANDED..........
April 29, 2011
You're in my prayers Dralon. :/

Good luck! and Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you too!

S

SaugaBoss

Dralon said:
To all of those that have been following my case well here a little update.. officially they never got the CSQ until (my mp confused me) the 10 or 28th of november... we have to give them 30-60 days to start processing...

sadly our medical as you know is expired and the FBI will by mid january... i in my best estimate expect if we are lucky that my wife will come by early-mid spring... Apparently immigration Quebec never sent anything

so i doubt i will be around much for the next month, i have to call my mp representative by mid january

so to all of you i wish in advance Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.. may all of you receive quick response and be reunited with your better half soon
Good luck Dralon!! Hopefully the New Year will bring good news ASAP!!!!

my medical expires in February! i have to call my MP end of Jan-early Feb.

IndoLady

Dec 15, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2010
Med's Done....
February 2010
Hey all,

My application is processed in Singapore since June 2010, I got my CSQ in September 2010, until now I haven't heard anything from Singapore office,
someone told me to fax the CSQ my self to Singapore office.

I am wondering, Can you scan the CSQ and e-mail them instead of send through fax?

Thanks and warm regards.